cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[WIP] GATE-D VR, a Japanese cyberpunk multi-stream narrative

msaijo
Honored Guest
The GATE-D software being developed is a first person choose-your-own-adventure interactive narrative “Application/Experience” based classic cyberpunk novels and films from Japan and US. This collaboration is a “Team” effort between producers/programmers from Japan and visual artist/filmmakers from the US.

The concept is an abstract homage to film-noir cyberpunk history, a “mash-up” of pop cultural references with characters based on Ryu Murakami’s novel Coin Locker Babies, classic sci-fi anime AKIRA, Tetsuo the Ironman, underscored with quotes and themes from influential writers like William Burroughs, Jean Baudrillard, Philip K Dick, and other sci-fi writers.

The process is to film the narrative using live action 360-degree video with Japanese actors (dubbed in English) within the backdrop of surrealistic modern Japan. “Unity Engine” will be used to develop the software for interactive capabilities, to "choose your own adventure" and compositing visual effects using Adobe After Effects. Some of the characters are played by professional cosplay actors.
40 REPLIES 40

msaijo
Honored Guest
"thisisdanzo" wrote:
Yeah, this looks really cool, guys. Are you shooting in stereoscopic 360? Mono 360? How are you achieving the technical aspects? Stuff like this would really bring people to VR.

Thanks thisisdanzo. we aren't shooting stereoscopic, using go-pro cluster, few different mounts, after-effects, unity, and practical effects as much as we can. basically whatever we can get our hands on, including existing locations, professional and non professional talent resources since we are completely independent.

I'm from LA, found a lot of great talent in Japan, built an awesome team, weird locations, and lots of enthusiasm which makes the perfect recipe for creativity, and achieve beyond anything I could have ever imagined. I just hope that some of this energy and magic thats taking place in reality can be transferred through the virtual experience.

spinaljack
Protege
Have you tried this camera?

https://theta360.com/uk/

It does 360 video and doesn't have all the stitching anomalies that you get from some camera clusters. Also has built in wifi so no fiddling around with memory cards.

£244 I think which is not bad.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_nos ... lectronics

John Carmack mentioned it on his Mobile VR talk and said it created very good results.

msaijo
Honored Guest
I went to train station in Tokyo to research Salary Men lifestyle and environments, took some pics, and was amazed at how efficient and automated this society is and how close we are to becoming spiritual machines, if not already.

P1150076.JPG

HomerS66
Expert Protege
"spinaljack" wrote:
Have you tried this camera?

https://theta360.com/uk/

It does 360 video and doesn't have all the stitching anomalies that you get from some camera clusters. Also has built in wifi so no fiddling around with memory cards.

£244 I think which is not bad.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_nos ... lectronics

John Carmack mentioned it on his Mobile VR talk and said it created very good results.

360 photos are ok, not great but ok and easy to make, but video is a bit to lowres tho.

msaijo
Honored Guest
how do you storyboard 360 video? I thought that the best solution maybe to do draw a panoramic image, break it up into three parts, with 1/3, 2/3 golden rule. with main focus in the center and peripheral content on the side, like environment. It ended up nothing like the storyboard drawings, but was a good enough departure point to start with to organize visual story content.

GATE-D STORYBOARDS.jpg

spinaljack
Protege
Cool storyboards, I imagine 3D audio will play a big part in this film to draw the viewer's attention to things happening.

KominAaa
Honored Guest
I'm amazed at the level of detail you put into this 🙂
Hi! Check our VRJam2015 entry SteamCrew VR, Our VR Game Shufflepuck Cantina Deluxe VR and our VRJam2013 entry EpicDragon VR! Follow us on Facebook!

msaijo
Honored Guest
P1150280.JPG
P1150157.JPG
P1150282.JPG

“The conceptualization involved in cyberpunk is more of forging ahead, looking at the new global culture. It is a culture that does not exist right now, so the Japanese concept of a cyberpunk future, seems just as valid as a Western one, especially as Western cyberpunk often incorporates many Japanese elements.”[38] William Gibson is now a frequent visitor to Japan, and he came to see that many of his visions of Japan have become a reality:

Modern Japan simply was cyberpunk. The Japanese themselves knew it and delighted in it. I remember my first glimpse of Shibuya, when one of the young Tokyo journalists who had taken me there, his face drenched with the light of a thousand media-suns—all that towering, animated crawl of commercial information—said, "You see? You see? It is Blade Runner town." And it was. It so evidently was.[39]

riftopia
Explorer
This looks totally awesome and could be the start of something great! I hope it will appeal to both international and Japanese audiences. One thing I didn't get was the cables in the first pic with the lady and the gear vr, but I guess that will become clear once the demo is available. ^_^

Lhun
Explorer
this... is so incredibly good.

I can't wait.

Since you're using unity in part are you also going to release for the dk2?