cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

error "Unfortunately, Package Access Helper has stopped"

owengusson
Explorer
My phone has upgraded itself to Lollipop, and now I seem to be completely unable to push unity builds to it, which has halted my on-device testing of Gear VR apps. Has anyone else had this problem? I tried build & install from unity; installing via adb install; and copying the apk to the device and installing from there. Nothing works. Every time I get the error:

"Unfortunately, Package Access Helper has stopped"

I don't know for sure it's related to Lollipop, but I do know that I never had this problem before the upgrade. Has anyone else experienced this, or otherwise know what the issue might be?

thanks!
20 REPLIES 20

CineTek
Honored Guest
I had the same problem a few weeks ago and could not find a solution. The error goes away after one or two days... The other solution is to downgrade to Android 4.X... But I am on Lollipop again and did not see the error again

UnelloDesign
Honored Guest
Ugh I just got this error too.
Is there really no other way to fix it?

rosebud_the_sle
Expert Protege
I've not seen this before, but I would check to ensure that Verify Apps over USB is turned off in the developer settings.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I had this happen to me last night just when I was prepping a build for a deadline today. I tried everything and was just about to factory reset my Note 4 when I managed to get builds installing again.

At first I suspected it was a Unity issue since I had just attempted to use EasyMovieTexture to put video onto an object in my scene unsuccessfully for the first time.

That build played back audio but no video using EasyMovieTexture and then every build after that hung at pushing content to my device until the Package Access Helper message popped up and ended the install process.

I tried building previous versions that built fine 20 minutes before to no avail. Eventually after staying up till 5am I was able to build again by rebuilding my project using a VR template I set up and gradually adding in assets.

As I added in each asset I pushed test builds to hopefully isolate what caused this issue to occur. I also shut down the phone a couple of times and removed the battery, unmounted the SD card physically and in My Files, while also killing all Package Access Helper type services before shutting down and pulling the battery again.

Research into the issue suggests that Samsung pushed a bad image for 5.0.1 out since this message has been popping up and preventing re-installation of 3rd party apps from completing for general users of the Note 4.

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/857897

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've gotten this off and on as well, and haven't been able to figure out what/why it happens. It's not consistent and seems to depend on the specific scene being built in Unity — loading other scenes into the build will work fine.

I can also verify that the "Verify app over USB" setting is unchecked, so it's not that.

owengusson
Explorer
Have you guys been able to pinpoint what specifically is causing this, or at least some single method of getting around it? I'm still unable to make builds for my Gear VR and really don't know what to do or try. I'm beyond annoyed that this update has caused this to happen, and it makes me really wonder about how this is being managed. I realize it is a Samsung issue, but can anyone from Oculus offer any insight into this problem? Would love some help, I'm otherwise blocked on Gear VR builds.

Anonymous
Not applicable
"owengusson" wrote:
Have you guys been able to pinpoint what specifically is causing this, or at least some single method of getting around it? I'm still unable to make builds for my Gear VR and really don't know what to do or try. I'm beyond annoyed that this update has caused this to happen, and it makes me really wonder about how this is being managed. I realize it is a Samsung issue, but can anyone from Oculus offer any insight into this problem? Would love some help, I'm otherwise blocked on Gear VR builds.

This happens to me occasionally but usually it comes down to one specific offending asset (earlier today it was a change I made to a texture, go figure). It's usually not the case that all builds cause this to happen, I can usually go back to an earlier known good state. I hear you on how frustrating it is, though — often I will cross my fingers hoping that dialog doesn't pop up....

UnelloDesign
Honored Guest
Yea for me its tied to one specific scene in my project. All the other scenes install and run fine.

"jeffjlin" wrote:

usually it comes down to one specific offending asset (earlier today it was a change I made to a texture, go figure).

Any tips for hunting down that one asset?

yosun
Honored Guest
"UnelloDesign" wrote:
Yea for me its tied to one specific scene in my project. All the other scenes install and run fine.

"jeffjlin" wrote:

usually it comes down to one specific offending asset (earlier today it was a change I made to a texture, go figure).

Any tips for hunting down that one asset?

It used to be converting 4096 textures down to 2048 fixed it - now I'm not certain what's causing it anymore...
ChallengePost: yosun SMS: 415-77-YOSUN Twitter: @yosun Some old public hacks.