cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to disable movement completely

virtualroadside
Honored Guest
Here's what we're trying to do:

We've mounted a physical camera device on the oculus, and we just want to show the output of the camera on a texture on the scene, and overlay various indicators/whatever on the scene. So we've got that working nicely, but the camera rig keeps changing its position when the user moves their head -- which is definitely not what we want (since it's showing the outside camera output... don't need it).

Basically, we don't want it to be a VR headset right now, just want the oculus to be a nice passthrough display.

Using unity pro and the latest sdk... 0.4.3 I think?

I've seen previous suggestions to disable the UpdateAnchors() function, but that just makes the game view shake a LOT. Using the various options on the rig doesn't seem to make any difference either (disable position tracking, etc). Any thoughts on how to do this?
83 REPLIES 83

wallawocko
Honored Guest
All signs seem to be pointing to the Mobile SDK... Troll is using the Rift (PC integration not Mobile SDK) as well. What could be different between the two deployments?

wallawocko
Honored Guest
Still no resolution... Cyber, can you confirm this is a bug in the mobile SDK?

wallawocko
Honored Guest
Anyone able to figure out a work around for the mobile SDK?

xhonzi
Honored Guest
I can only imagine why you'd want this functionality in the first place- 3D HUD, perhaps?

Anyways, is it possible to make the whole scene a child of the CenterEye? That way the scene would move with the Head- as opposed to preventing the head from moving.

rorys88888888
Honored Guest
Does anyone know how this would work on the updated unity version... it now seems that the VR is imbedded within unity so no plugins are needed and therefore, there is no .cs file to set the camera to disable. Thanks!

weasel47
Heroic Explorer
"rorys88888888" wrote:
Does anyone know how this would work on the updated unity version... it now seems that the VR is imbedded within unity so no plugins are needed and therefore, there is no .cs file to set the camera to disable. Thanks!

I just read through this whole thing for the first time and wondered why it took so long for someone to make the suggestion that xhonzi made (make everything a child of the camera and be done with it). Is that not a viable solution?

rorys88888888
Honored Guest
"weasel47" wrote:

I just read through this whole thing for the first time and wondered why it took so long for someone to make the suggestion that xhonzi made (make everything a child of the camera and be done with it). Is that not a viable solution?

Not for me... I have two cameras in my screen, one I need enabled (the main) and another camera that I need stationary.

cybereality
Grand Champion
You can add a handler to OVRCameraRig.UpdatedAnchors and set the eye poses to whatever you want.

If you just want to disable position tracking, set OVRManager.tracker.isEnabled = false.

Making the whole world a child of the camera will probably wreak havoc on stuff like static geometry.

Also, I have tested using a second camera (for a render-to-texture effect) and it seemed to work fine for me. Can you explain what the issue is you are having or what exactly you are trying to accomplish?

rorys88888888
Honored Guest
"cybereality" wrote:
You can add a handler to OVRCameraRig.UpdatedAnchors and set the eye poses to whatever you want.

If you just want to disable position tracking, set OVRManager.tracker.isEnabled = false.

Making the whole world a child of the camera will probably wreak havoc on stuff like static geometry.

Also, I have tested using a second camera (for a render-to-texture effect) and it seemed to work fine for me. Can you explain what the issue is you are having or what exactly you are trying to accomplish?

Can this happen in the new version of unity, where the "Virtual Reality Supported" is built in to the player settings?

Also, what I am trying to do is have the player "draw" on a piece of paper while sitting in a room and the paper being the entirety of the computer screen. So what I have done is set one camera above the paper and used ScreenToWorldPoint to map the points on the paper (this is the camera that I don't want to move because when it moves, so does my point). The main camera is the player and they should be able to look around the room but only be able to "draw" on the paper and do nothing else interactive in the scene.

Thank you for your help!

cybereality
Grand Champion
Yes, you can do this in Unity 5 with the Oculus Utilities.

I'm still not 100% sure what your use-case is, but maybe try playing with a World-Space Canvas and Render-To-Texture?