cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unity 5: Reflection Probes don't work in build

BLACKISH
Honored Guest
Have a look at this test-scene. Reflections work just fine in the editor and with a normal camera, but as soon as I make a build and run it in VR, reflections are gone. I reported a bug to unity, but then again this might be something that oculus has to fix in the unity integration.

Anyone else got this problem? Any ideas how to fix it?
19 REPLIES 19

mbzdmvp
Explorer
I can confirm that switching to Baked fixed this for me.

Thanks HeadTrip!

kideternal
Protege
Baked probes work for me in DX11 mode, but not DX9 using Unity 5.0.0f4.

Unfortunately, in DX11 my frame-rate seems capped @60FPS in the Rift using Direct mode. (It's 75FPS using DX9.)

BIS
Honored Guest
Hello Everyone !
I just met with the same issue, real-time reflections do not work with Oculus Rift.
But accidentally I have found solution, reflections start to work if anti-aliasing is disabled in the quality settings.
Unfortunately can not explain why it happens, if someone have ideas please share it.
Instead of anti-aliasing in the settings anti-aliasing image effect attached to the left and the right cameras can be used. Seems it gives slightly worse result but it is definitely better then nothing.

Dakor
Explorer
Hey,
I got the same problem with the Unity5.0.1f1 release (and the 0.5.1 Mobile SDK) with a standalone PC build.

Switching to baked reflections is no solution in my case. Disabling AA in quality settings works for me, but i hope this will get fixed in the near future.

Thanks!

KC130280
Honored Guest
I ported my old unity 4 / dk1 scene to Unity 5 + dk2 and I am having issues with the reflection probe.

Realtime / baked makes no difference. Both render black in the build but work fine in the editor.

Checklist

-I have AA disabledin the quality settings.
-I have AA enabled as a post-processing effect works fine in the editor. Don't work in the build.
-I have AA disabled as a post-processing effect works fine in the editor. Don't work in the build.
-Eye texture anti aliasing set to 1
-Continuous baking is enabled

Specs
I am using Unity Pro 5.0.1f1
Standard Unlit shader for my ''baked'' textures. (light, shadows, ao, was baked in Mental ray)
Standard Metallic shader for the ''reflective metallic and glossy dielectric surfaces''
Standard emissive shader for the glowing surfaces.

EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT

Delete the probe. Plant a new anal probe and switch to Bake. This has worked for me.

karthiklaxman
Honored Guest
I'm facing the exact same issue...

I'm using Unity 4.6, and I have tested it on two computers.

On my desktop (i7+8gb) with Windows 7 and GeForce GTX 610, the build works perfectly. On my laptop (Alienware i7+16gb) with Windows 8.1 and GeForce GTX 980M, the reflective surfaces turn black in the build. Even if I run the app using the default "Integrated Graphics" on the laptop, I get black surfaces.

I need it to work on the laptop for better FPS and quality, but whatever I do, I can't seem to.

At my wits end really. I am not able to move the scene to Unity 5 either as it creates more problems than it solves (missing shaders besides the black reflective surfaces problem).

Any help will be deeply appreciated!

muglore
Explorer
This seems to be the only thread on this bug, which is amazing. Getting this error as well using Oculus latest VR utilities package. The reflection probe and associated textures look fine in the editor when I bake the ref. probe, but as soon as I hit play, the ref. probe is cleared and all the textures appear black. This is sort of major as you're forced us to upgrade to Unity 5 (5.2.1f), it would be great to get some comment from Unity or Oculus on this.

vrdaveb
Oculus Staff
Thanks. We are aware of the issue. Reflection probes are a little more involved than other view-dependent shaders and Unity appears to be using them with the wrong projection in VR. They're working on it. It should be fixed before too long. We'll give an ETA here as soon as we can settle on a fix.

muglore
Explorer
I discovered a temp fix on the Unity forums that resolved my issue with reflection probes. The error seemed to result from the scene light bake being completed before the reflection probe was added and baked.

I deleted the scene GI light bake, added the reflection probe, and re-rendered the light bake and now the reflection probe render will remain active throughout runtime and builds.

isteffy1
Honored Guest
I have the solution!

In the Quality settings of Unity, the Quality level default settings is Fastest, which removes all reflections and adds other annoying aliasing.

Change the Quality settings to 'Fantastic' and viola! Your reflections are back!