cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Bug-Fix Build'

mbzdmvp
Explorer
Hello,

So I hope I am not the only one confused about the latest email. What is considered a 'bug-fix build' ?

What prevents people from adding new content in the next week? Wasn't this the whole point of the deadline?

Reddit discussion: http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments ... extension/
VR Jam 2015: Inside The Human Body Forum Post: viewtopic.php?f=77&t=23266
37 REPLIES 37

tsemple
Honored Guest
I'm confused by this too. We spent a significant portion of our time doing player tests, bug fixes, and performance improvements. Allowing an extra week of time doesn't seem fair to those of us that allocated jam time to this. If we had known this before we would have spent the final week adding more features knowing that we could spend the week after fixing all the bugs. Changing the rules after the end of the jam doesn't seem fair to me.

nilstastic
Explorer
I agree. I spent the last two days making sure that it should run as smooth as possible and also did extensive playtesting (i got 25 videos of people looking weird and jumping around) that took up a considerable amount of time.

And, i do know that we have had issues with lollipop but i do think i read somewhere that the judges will run kitkat? The community vote is another issue but since the global signing tool is up everyone is free to provide additional fixed apk's anyway.

So. Not sure how i feel about this.

emolano
Honored Guest
does not seem fair. I had two apps and only posted one because invested a lot of time on testing. Would have know there was an extra time to fix bugs maybe I could have finished the second app.

drash
Heroic Explorer
From the rules:

In the first round of the judging process, the Judges will also perform a cursory review of the Entrant’s Software primarily to confirm that the Software will function as described in the selected materials. In the event that the Judges are unable to get an Entrant’s Software to function after reasonable efforts, that Entrant may be disqualified. Notwithstanding any other provision to the contrary, the Judges may (in either round of the judging process) contact Entrant to request a bug fix or other minor modification to the Software to address a functionality or stability issue (any a “Bug Fix”) or implement any Big Fix provided by Entrant after the Submission Period and may, in judging an Entry, consider the Software as modified by any such Bug Fix. However, the decision to request or implement any Bug Fix is within Sponsor’s sole discretion. Sponsor will be under no obligation to request a Bug Fix or implement any Bug Fix provided and may disqualify any Entrant whose Software is not completely functional when submitted in this Contest.

However, the email we all just got is a bit different in nature than being contacted to address specific bug/stability issues. If everyone is submitting new builds, how can they possibly enforce that any changes aren't huge new chunks of content? While my entry doesn't really have any bugs at this point, I don't have a week to spend on further improvements so does that mean other entries will get an extra week?
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com

nilstastic
Explorer
"drash" wrote:
From the rules:

In the first round of the judging process, the Judges will also perform a cursory review of the Entrant’s Software primarily to confirm that the Software will function as described in the selected materials. In the event that the Judges are unable to get an Entrant’s Software to function after reasonable efforts, that Entrant may be disqualified. Notwithstanding any other provision to the contrary, the Judges may (in either round of the judging process) contact Entrant to request a bug fix or other minor modification to the Software to address a functionality or stability issue (any a “Bug Fix”) or implement any Big Fix provided by Entrant after the Submission Period and may, in judging an Entry, consider the Software as modified by any such Bug Fix. However, the decision to request or implement any Bug Fix is within Sponsor’s sole discretion. Sponsor will be under no obligation to request a Bug Fix or implement any Bug Fix provided and may disqualify any Entrant whose Software is not completely functional when submitted in this Contest.

However, the email we all just got is a bit different in nature than being contacted to address specific bug/stability issues. If everyone is submitting new builds, how can they possibly enforce that any changes aren't huge new chunks of content? While my entry doesn't really have any bugs at this point, I don't have a week to spend on further improvements so does that mean other entries will get an extra week?

I agree. Being asked to fix a bug is fair, and was expected. This however, is (probably) not.

Anticleric
Expert Protege
I call shenanigans... big time.
A month is plenty of time to get your build working. This gives a huge and unfair advantage to the those that have the spare time.

The rules say that people with issues would be contacted directly, not that the entire jam will be extended by a week.

shenanigans

Thoth_The3x
Explorer
Maybe a little unfair, but doesn't seem like that big of a deal. They chose Monday so that people with 9-5's can get some fixes in and not be left behind. You still have to get past the first round to be able to submit a bug-fix build anyway.

Seems like you guys are overreacting.

Anticleric
Expert Protege
"spire8989" wrote:
Maybe a little unfair, but doesn't seem like that big of a deal. They chose Monday so that people with 9-5's can get some fixes in and not be left behind. You still have to get past the first round to be able to submit a bug-fix build anyway.

What about those with a 9-9 job that already allocated an entire month? And those that take this time to add a bunch of content? Or make changes based on feedback and what they learned from other entries? Not cool IMO

CodaFrost
Explorer
"spire8989" wrote:

Actually it's not unfair at all. They are still judging who gets into the finals based upon original deadline submission criteria.
Per the email: "You may modify your build link and other materials here to share with the community, though judges will be rating your original submission."

They are still judging who is getting into the finals based on the original deadline submissions, so not sure what all the fussing is about. If your game is good, it will be judged upon it's own merit in the end anyway. However, if a few extra days of bug fixing is enough to put the competition ahead of you - well then what does that say about your game..?