cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Bug-Fix Build'

mbzdmvp
Explorer
Hello,

So I hope I am not the only one confused about the latest email. What is considered a 'bug-fix build' ?

What prevents people from adding new content in the next week? Wasn't this the whole point of the deadline?

Reddit discussion: http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments ... extension/
VR Jam 2015: Inside The Human Body Forum Post: viewtopic.php?f=77&t=23266
37 REPLIES 37

mbzdmvp
Explorer
Actually it's not unfair at all. They are still judging who gets into the finals based upon original deadline submission criteria.
Per the email: "You may modify your build link and other materials here to share with the community, though judges will be rating your original submission."

They are still judging who is getting into the finals based on the original deadline submissions, so not sure what all the fussing is about. If your game is good, it will be judged upon it's own merit in the end anyway. However, if a few extra days of bug fixing is enough to put the competition ahead of you - well then what does that say about your game..?

I don't think you understood the email. The apps will not be tested in the first round. The Oculus team is judging first round submissions based off Description, Images, and Videos as described here: viewtopic.php?f=77&t=22928 .

Secondly as others mentioned, some of us have allocated more time to polishing and bug fixing rather than adding new content. This creates an unfair advantage for people who now get to fix their bugs post deadline.

HelloMeow
Explorer
"Anticleric" wrote:
I call shenanigans... big time.
A month is plenty of time to get your build working. This gives a huge and unfair advantage to the those that have the spare time.

The rules say that people with issues would be contacted directly, not that the entire jam will be extended by a week.

shenanigans

Yup.

I don't like this either. I'm still working on my game, because I have the time to do so. It wouldn't be fair.
VRJam: Hexagon

EMcNeill
Honored Guest
I'd appreciate a statement clarifying that this is intended specifically for bug fixes and not for changing or adding content, even if we have to rely on the honor system. Otherwise, I'd feel a strong pressure to start crunching again, which I'd really like to avoid.

nilstastic
Explorer
"EMcNeill" wrote:
I'd appreciate a statement clarifying that this is intended specifically for bug fixes and not for changing or adding content, even if we have to rely on the honor system. Otherwise, I'd feel a strong pressure to start crunching again, which I'd really like to avoid.

+1

Nilspferd
Honored Guest
if people are allowed to do bug fixes, I want to be allowed to do screenshot fixes, video fixes and description fixes too! Seriosly, we spend the nearly the whole last week only fixing all those tiny details, getting the performance right and just providing a plesurable and as BUG-FREE experience as possible. If we'd know that, we also would have focused on some great marketted description and screenshots instead. This is really unfair!

branditoson
Honored Guest
Thanks for the feedback - it sounds like the update was not specific enough. Per the rules, we will screen the original builds in Round 1 judging, and if the build does not reflect what was described and shown in the video, description, etc, they won’t qualify to continue as a finalist.

In addition, to be fair to all finalists, we will accept one new build per submission with minor fixes. If it is changed drastically such that it no longer represents the original materials, the build will not qualify to be updated. That said, it’s not feasible to moderate every single change someone slips in with a “bug fix”, so we’re not disallowing small changes. However, major notable differences between the original submission and the "bug-fix" build will not be accepted.

mbzdmvp
Explorer
Thanks for the reply branditoson.

That said, it’s not feasible to moderate every single change someone slips in with a “bug fix”, so we’re not disallowing small changes. However, major notable differences between the original submission and the "bug-fix" build will not be accepted.

So essentially we can still work on our apps unless we do something drastic like add a new scene. Sounds a lot like the deadline was extended. I still stand by my point that this violates the rules provided at the beginning of the jam. I don't think I've ever heard of a game jam that extended the deadline for 'bug-fixes' but also allowed small changes. I guess I'll be spending the next week improving my experience...

Anonymous
Not applicable
This seems like an even less fair solution. We spent easily 100+ hours on performance and 'bug fixes' during the last week of the jam. Now teams that didn't address these issues within the competition bounds will get to spend that time this week, and now with this clarification we are disallowed from adding a new weeks worth of content, effectively giving some folks a 5 week dev cycle while others only get the original 4.

Anticleric
Expert Protege
"branditoson" wrote:
Thanks for the feedback - it sounds like the update was not specific enough. Per the rules, we will screen the original builds in Round 1 judging, and if the build does not reflect what was described and shown in the video, description, etc, they won’t qualify to continue as a finalist.

In addition, to be fair to all finalists, we will accept one new build per submission with minor fixes. If it is changed drastically such that it no longer represents the original materials, the build will not qualify to be updated. That said, it’s not feasible to moderate every single change someone slips in with a “bug fix”, so we’re not disallowing small changes. However, major notable differences between the original submission and the "bug-fix" build will not be accepted.

How will you know how much has changed if the original build does not run? Optimization, sound, game balance etc, will may not be shown in the description and video.

Why not take back the extension, and only contact those with game braking bugs in their m4 upload as stated in the official rules?

Nilspferd
Honored Guest
"branditoson" wrote:

Sorry to disagree, but it is unfair, as some people spend much of their energy getting the game bug free instead of providing great marketing content. If you would have make that clear upfront, we would have set our priorities on other tasks first. So basically the people who focussed on good marketing (instead of creating a working game) are getting one free week to fix all those bugs (and as you said also other changes, as it's not feasible to moderate them). Honestly, why did you change the rules? I really can't understand this.