Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[APK] Circumpaint

Gnometech
Protege
Made it through to the end!

Circumpaint
Paint and animate on a canvas that completely surrounds you using your GearVR!

http://vrjam.challengepost.com/submissions/36498-circumpaint

APK Download:
https://vrjam-submissions.s3.amazonaws. ... mpaint.apk

Final Video:

Features of Circumpaint
  • Paint in 360 degrees on a dome that surrounds you, a unique experience in VR

• Various palettes to choose from

• Animate your creation with chosen playback speeds

• Use either the GearVR touchpad, or the Samsung EI-GP20 controller

• Game controller provides a number of shortcuts to make painting easier

Controls
Circumpaint has a central UI panel that contains all of the tools and actions you need to produce your work of art. You may access the UI panel at any time by pressing the Back button, or the 2 button on the EI=GP20 gamepad.

The UI panel is divided into three tabs. The File tab is where you may save your creations, as well as load in some samples. For the VR Jam there are 10 slots available for you to save to at any time.

The Paint tab is where you'll spend most of your time. Along the bottom are the Canvas sizing buttons, and a toggle for the optional border. The sizes range from chunky to fine, and you may switch between then at any time (it is non-destructive until you paint on a cell). This allows you to do broad brushstrokes and then go in for finer detail.

Along the left are the predefined color palettes you may choose from, and switch between them at any time without affecting your art. Just to the right of the palette are the current color swatches. The topmost color is drawn by holding down the touchpad on the Canvas, or pressing the 1 button on the gamepad. The bottom color is available by pressing the 2 button.

Next are the drawing tools: pencil, eye dropper, and paint can. These are the standard tools you would expect, and make use of the touchpad, or 1 or 2 buttons to draw with. Following these are buttons to clear the Canvas according to the current colors, or black.

The remainder of the Paint tab is devoted to page flipping animation. From here you may insert or delete frames and navigate between them. You may also change the playback rate at any time.

The final tab is the Options tab where you may turn on mirroring of the Canvas so you only need to draw on the left or right, and all actions are mirrored to the other side. The Canvas border may also be changed from black to white.

To get help with the controls at any time, click on the green question mark button. The UI panel may be closed by clicking on the red X button.

Mechanics
Circumpaint primarily uses gaze to determine where to draw on the Canvas or which buttons to activate. However, it is possible to disengage the current drawing tool or crosshair from the GearVR's gaze by using the gamepad's Left Thumbstick. This allows you to look independent from where you paint. You may switch back to gaze control by pressing the 4 button on the gamepad.

Credits
  • Conceived of and created by David Wyand over the 1 month period of the Mobile VR Jam

• Included Phase Shift sample art used with permission by the generous folks at Dual Reality Games

Previous Posts

Milestone 3 Video:

Circumpaint UE4 Level.png

Three different canvas sizes, and two styles to choose from:

Circumpaint Panels.png

Various palettes to choose from. Use any palette on any picture.

Circumpaint Palettes.png

Thanks for reading!

- Dave
David Wyand www.gnometech.com @Gnometech Game in progress: The Field -- Multiplayer, battlefield-style VR FPS GearVR Store: Circumpaint -- Paint and animate on a dome around you
7 REPLIES 7

Gnometech
Protege
* Reserved for updates *
David Wyand www.gnometech.com @Gnometech Game in progress: The Field -- Multiplayer, battlefield-style VR FPS GearVR Store: Circumpaint -- Paint and animate on a dome around you

Gnometech
Protege
Just updated my original posting with the final video, new images, and APK download link.

Enjoy!

- Dave

MaximMiheyenko
Honored Guest
360. Painting. Nice UI. Good good work!!
Maxim Miheyenko, VR Production. House of Languages: viewtopic.php?f=77&t=22268&start=40

Elvina
Honored Guest
Hello Gnometech 🙂

I think your App Circumpaint is interesting and very useful for creating pictures for cross stitch and many more.
Good idea, I like it!
Actually we did App for drawing as well but our project Virtual Hands: VirtPaint made specially for people who don't have the ability to draw by hands in real life.

Btw I wish you good luck with your project. You did awesome job!

Gnometech
Protege
@MaximMiheyenko:
Thanks! I'm hoping that 360+painting+animating ends up being a unique enough experience for everyone in VR. I consider the Jam version of Circumpaint to be a demo, and look forward to expanding on it for a full store release.

@Elvina:
I had never considered cross stitching. I wonder if I can tap into the cross stitching community to help vote for my app? 😉

My actual inspiration is along the lines of Flipnote Studio and Pixel Paint. A big part of Flipnote Studio is the community around it. With the full version of Circumpaint I'd like to release later this year on the Oculus store I'll be sure to include sharing of your creations (unlike the Jam version that is restricted to your own GearVR).

I did come across your own app while browsing through all of the apps/experiences. Unfortunately, I haven't had time to try any of them as I'm still catching up on some needed sleep when not at work or with family. I'm hoping to start loading other submissions onto my Note 4 in the next few days.

- Dave

Gnometech
Protege
Just found out that Engadget has included Circumpaint among their selection of finalists.

Original article: http://www.engadget.com/2015/05/19/ocul ... finalists/
Direct link to Circumpaint entry: http://www.engadget.com/gallery/heres-a ... e=3485962|!

Yay!

- Dave

nobylspoon
Protege
"Gnometech" wrote:
Just found out that Engadget has included Circumpaint among their selection of finalists.

Original article: http://www.engadget.com/2015/05/19/ocul ... finalists/
Direct link to Circumpaint entry: http://www.engadget.com/gallery/heres-a ... e=3485962|!

Yay!

- Dave

Congrats, Dave! It's great to see multiple UE4 submissions from both tracks making it into the finals in a VRJam "sponsored by Unity". 😄
Meerkat Gaming Dev Klepto - Burglary Simulator Oculus WIP Thread || Steam Greenlight Page TightropeVR - 2015 VRJam Finalist Steam Greenlight || [DK2 DEMO] || [GearVR pending UE4 update]