cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

error "Unfortunately, Package Access Helper has stopped"

owengusson
Explorer
My phone has upgraded itself to Lollipop, and now I seem to be completely unable to push unity builds to it, which has halted my on-device testing of Gear VR apps. Has anyone else had this problem? I tried build & install from unity; installing via adb install; and copying the apk to the device and installing from there. Nothing works. Every time I get the error:

"Unfortunately, Package Access Helper has stopped"

I don't know for sure it's related to Lollipop, but I do know that I never had this problem before the upgrade. Has anyone else experienced this, or otherwise know what the issue might be?

thanks!
20 REPLIES 20

CineTek
Honored Guest
Nice, after signing the build with the global tool I receive this error again. I love Android

owengusson
Explorer
"CineTek" wrote:
Nice, after signing the build with the global tool I receive this error again. I love Android

Without anything else having changed?! sigh.. that sucks.. this whole thing sucks. I'm going through a large project, copying asset by asset, one at a time, to find the offending one(s). and if you really didn't change anything, then it looks like it might not even be related to an offending asset, but something else.

Frustrating, to say the least. Has anyone from Oculus acknowledged this issue?

owengusson
Explorer
Well, here's something potentially interesting. I was looking through some threads about VRJam apps, and found one where people mentioned the inability to install, with this error. Someone in here said to pull the external sd card, and install to internal memory. Looks like it worked for at least some people, so I tried it, with mixed results. Certainly, it got me farther -- I was actually able to install my app, and it even ran, sort of. I got the Unity splash screen, and music - but no visuals/graphics.

So I guess the quest continues, but at least I seem to be a step closer.

HTH

http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments ... o_of_it_d/

yosun
Honored Guest
If you're using Unity, I've found that changing stripping levels down to mscorlib then up again seems to fix it.
ChallengePost: yosun SMS: 415-77-YOSUN Twitter: @yosun Some old public hacks.

marchansenj
Honored Guest
Getting feedback from some Lollipop users but not all that they see this when trying to install Polo... I have also heard that UN-mounting the SD Card and then installing seems to work. I am also wondering if there something we can do so Users don't have to jump thru this hoop?

I noticed on the build settings of Unity 4.6.3 there is a setting called Install Location which I had set to Prefer External, can anyone verify if setting this to Automatic or Force Internal resolves the issue? I am still on Kitkat (T-mobile) or I would try.

Thanks,
Marc

CineTek
Honored Guest
I can confirm that un-mounting your sd-card indeed fixes this problem(!).

Our Unity 5 build also has the "prefer external" build settings switched ON but I can not create a new build without the global signing tool... It´s weird though since this setting did not change over the course of these 6 weeks and we did not encounter the problem before switching to the global signing tool...

cybereality
Grand Champion
It seems the settings should be set to "internalOnly". Thanks.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

marchansenj
Honored Guest
"cybereality" wrote:
It seems the settings should be set to "internalOnly". Thanks.

Thanks Cyber for confirming, can you see if they can turn back on the Global Signing tool just so we can make builds for lollipop users; not to update our submissions or anything.

g4c
Explorer
"UnelloDesign" wrote:
Yea for me its tied to one specific scene in my project. All the other scenes install and run fine.

"jeffjlin" wrote:

usually it comes down to one specific offending asset (earlier today it was a change I made to a texture, go figure).

Any tips for hunting down that one asset?

I managed to get an APK to install after removing SD card.

When I went into the game I saw that one of the textures was missing, luckily it was a very noticable texture.

Turns out that was a 24bit texture, it should have been 32bit with alpha. I screwed up when resizing and exporting from art tool.

Knowing this: it may be possible to "force" install with SDCard removal and then search asset directory for missing texture.
Android VR Developer. https://twitter.com/SiliconDroid

rava1reg
Honored Guest
Found the solution below on the developer's website under FAQ and it worked perfectly for Skate Party 2 !!

Skate Party 2 developer's website: http://en.ratrodstudio.com/faq/

Removing the SD card as indicated seems to have done the trick in my case (Galaxy Note 4) !

" The installation process failed when trying to download the game. What can I do?

You can try first to simply clear the cache by doing this:
• Go to Settings/Application/Manage Applications select Market, and clear the Data/cache

If that doesn’t work, then try this:
• Go to Settings/Application/Manage Applications select Market, and clear the Data/cache
• Power off the phone and physically -remove- your SD memory card.
• Power on, and install the app without your memory card inserted.
• Installation Successful!
• Once the game has been installed properly, reinstall your SD card.
• You can then go to Settings/Application/Manage Applications select Drift Mania and Move to SD card.

If none of those methods worked, please contact us using the Support Page and make sure to include your device model and OS version so our support team can find the problem. "