cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Neos: The Universe [APK + DK2 build]

Frooxius
Honored Guest
Hello guys!

I'm happy to present you my latest VR experience, Neos: The Universe!, now also for DK2!

Developed for the 2015 VR Jam, this application offers an epic narrative experience that walks you through forty magnitudes of scale within a few minutes, showing you marvels of the universe and the human journey through it, but also lets you explore on your own, smoothly sliding between different scales and exploring all the interesting content using the touchpad on your GearVR or scroll button on your mouse. And be careful where you look at, you might get a surprise!

Windows (219 MB)

OS X (219 MB) - UNTESTED!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Official website

Facebook page

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This demo is also a technical showcase, pushing the limits of mobile VR to show you variety of structures that breathe with life using custom tailored shaders and even sneakily employing lightfields (more on them is coming soon!) - how else would we show complex structures that require hundreds of thousands of polygons to represent on your mobile phone? 🙂

Neos: The Universe is a continuation of the World of Comenius project, which allowed you to travel into the human body, take it apart, play around with 3D geometry or sketch your ideas with your hands a demonstration of the educational potential of VR and it's one of many precursors to a much bigger project I've been working on for months: Neos. A world where you can unleash your creativity and curiosity without restrictions of the real world. There's much more to come, so keep an eye out!

And of course, comments and feedback is welcome!

(Btw, I also have another small game entry if you want to check it out, it's not as polished as this, but could be fun maybe! Check out FlowerGuy!)
16 REPLIES 16

nilstastic
Explorer
Yeah, I'm pretty sure you'll win the experience category. So, better start planning what you'll do with all that money. 😃

Frooxius
Honored Guest
nilstastic: Thanks, though I'm not so sure myself... but in any case, it's simple... MAKE MORE VR (and AR) STUFF! 😄

Nilspferd
Honored Guest
"nilstastic" wrote:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure you'll win the experience category. So, better start planning what you'll do with all that money. 😃

I think so too. This is my favorite #1 from all games and apps. This is by far the most polished and immersive experience.

8bit
Protege
@Frooxius,
Dude Neos looks awesome - keep up the great work. I'm getting the build now. Can't wait to try it.

mbzdmvp
Explorer
Amazing experience! Very well done!

I have a technical question, how do you get the loading screen (with the loading bar) to be so smooth? When I call Application.LoadLevelAsync my FPS drops to around 1-4 and the headtracking gets very delayed.
VR Jam 2015: Inside The Human Body Forum Post: viewtopic.php?f=77&t=23266

Frooxius
Honored Guest
Thank you! ^^'

mbzdmvp: That depends on many things. First, did you test that only in Unity Editor? The assets aren't properly serialized yet and there's a lot of overhead, so it's not going to be smooth in editor.

Second, you might want to stop the actual swapping of the level until certain time, which can take a lot of time, causing a hiccup, which also depends on how much work you do in Awake/Start functions of your scripts (plus any other constructors), by setting allowSceneActivation to false and waiting until the load progress is almost 0.9.

What I do myself is fade to black and then set allowSceneActivation to true, so it can finish the loading and initialization, while the player sees pitch black so cannot notice any hiccups.

Third, what Unity version are you using? Unity 5 features many crucial improvements for asynchronous loading (though not as many as I'd love), so if you're on older version some things still get done synchronously, affecting your main thread.

davidjc
Honored Guest
Controls dont work, mouse keyboard nothing. Just stuck at intro screen

mbzdmvp
Explorer
"davidjc" wrote:
Controls dont work, mouse keyboard nothing. Just stuck at intro screen

Enter to reset orientation, space to select the option you are looking at.

mbzdmvp
Explorer
"Frooxius" wrote:
Thank you! ^^'

mbzdmvp: That depends on many things. First, did you test that only in Unity Editor? The assets aren't properly serialized yet and there's a lot of overhead, so it's not going to be smooth in editor.

Second, you might want to stop the actual swapping of the level until certain time, which can take a lot of time, causing a hiccup, which also depends on how much work you do in Awake/Start functions of your scripts (plus any other constructors), by setting allowSceneActivation to false and waiting until the load progress is almost 0.9.

What I do myself is fade to black and then set allowSceneActivation to true, so it can finish the loading and initialization, while the player sees pitch black so cannot notice any hiccups.

Third, what Unity version are you using? Unity 5 features many crucial improvements for asynchronous loading (though not as many as I'd love), so if you're on older version some things still get done synchronously, affecting your main thread.

I've tested it out on my Note, the Editor loads it in about 2 seconds, compared to the ~8 seconds on my phone.

I didn't realize you could control the scene activation with a variable, that's a great trick!

Unfortunately I am on Unity 4 due to some strange texture swapping bugs that occurred earlier in development. Can't wait to upgrade to 5!