cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tactera - A Holographic Tabletop RTS

EMcNeill
Honored Guest

Tactera is a simple RTS that takes place on a virtual holographic tabletop. It's basically a love letter to the original Command & Conquer. 😄

Contest page: http://challengepost.com/software/tactera

If you get a chance to try it out, please let me know what you thought!
11 REPLIES 11

nilstastic
Explorer
This looks awesome! Please let someone else win for a change 😃

(I'll play in a few days, got some work things to take car of first, as well as neglected children)

(and yes, I'm wearing my VR Jam 2013 t-shirt when writing this)

jamesscott
Honored Guest
Super slick, nice job!
2013 Jam Project - [Finalist] Dragon: https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/v ... =51&t=3855 2015 Jam Project - [Bronze Prize] Atop the Wizard's Tower: viewtopic.php?f=77&t=23171&p=269384#p269384

spinaljack
Protege
Really enjoyed this game though I felt like a toddler poking my head over up on to the big boy's table.
Some viewpoint options would be nice.
Too bad there's no multiplayer in the demo, would have been fun.

EMcNeill
Honored Guest
Thanks!

Yeah, getting the player perspective right is a tough thing when you don't have positional tracking. If the camera is too low, it's hard to see all of the action. Too high, and you're forced to look down at an uncomfortable angle. If it's too close, you strain the player's eyes. Too far away, and you reduce the cool factor of the 3D effect. It was a tough balancing act! But I'm mostly happy with the final result. 🙂

There is a sitting/standing toggle, which slightly changes your height relative to the table, but it mostly changes the position of the floor.

SgtHybrid
Honored Guest
Ready to buy NOW!!! I'm a huge RTS fan and this will get added to my library. Well Done. 😄

nilstastic
Explorer
I agree that some other view positions would be nice (sometimes it felt like things were in my mouth) but all in all a very nice entry. The graphics looks great and the whole thing had a very polished feel to it. Playing the game went well, but i found myself quickly looking back and forth until my neck got a but tired, but another view option (with a 4k screen maybe?) would make this a non-issue.

All in all, well done. I really enjoyed it (until my girlfriend tapped me on the gear because she wanted to try telescopic again).. 😃

Thisisdanzo
Honored Guest
What are your batch/tris for this scene? Very impressed with the feel. I didn't think stationary player games would be that exciting, but this is great.
Galaxy Grapple - GearVR, no gamepad

EMcNeill
Honored Guest
"thisisdanzo" wrote:
What are your batch/tris for this scene? Very impressed with the feel. I didn't think stationary player games would be that exciting, but this is great.

I had about 30-75 draw calls and about 35k-60k triangles per eye, depending on how many units were out on the field at any given time.

Yorick
Honored Guest
We have been hearing about tabletop strategy games being great for VR, but this is the first time I've actually seen it work.
It works well on the Gear VR. It would be amazing with positional tracking!