Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finalists and a bug fix build...

robeastham
Honored Guest
I'm really pleased that my entry for the Jam got through to the finals:

The Curator's Mini-Museum of Natural History

However, I know that my submitted APK will not start up on a Snapdragon Note 4 with Lollipop and it'll just black screen. This is because of a hack that pretty much all UE4 entrants used in order to get MSAA working for their builds. No anti-aliasing at all was not really an option for most of us.

Can we get some clarification on what the process for resubmitting fixed APKs will be for final round finalists? I know it has been mentioned that the judges will have access to Kit-Kat based Note 4's but it'd be really great if I could submit a build that I know will work on all handsets. This would obviously be good for those of us trying to attract attention and gain community votes too.

For those with UE4 builds that suffer from the same problem I guess the above is all subject to Epic actually releasing a patch that will make MSAA work on all handsets. My understanding is that this is in the pipeline. I'm going to try to confirm today by rebuilding UE4 from source. This commit in the 4.8 branch from JJ at Epic makes me think things might have been resolved. It'd be great if someone from Epic, or someone else who has got things working, could clarify what the situation here is and if that commit gives us some form of anti-aliasing across all phones on Kit-Kat and Lollipop?
My Gear VR app got through to the Oculus Mobile Jam 2015 finals. Hurray! http://www.clearview.net
7 REPLIES 7

DFin
Honored Guest
You could just disable MSAA for a lollipop build. Just replace "#if 1" in line 316 in "OpenGLES2.h" with "#if 0" and rebuild it. After disabling MSAA it works fine with Lollipop. The commit you mention doesn't do anything about MSAA.

Im really interested in testing your App.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Judges will test on KitKat, so you should be fine.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Yes, the judges will be on Kit-Kat.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

DFin
Honored Guest
"cybereality" wrote:
Yes, the judges will be on Kit-Kat.

I thought it was recommended to upgrade to lollipop and kit-kat was just offered as "fail safe" option?!

cybereality
Grand Champion
Some judges may have both versions, but all should definitely have KitKat as that is the most solid at the moment.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

robeastham
Honored Guest
"cybereality" wrote:
Some judges may have both versions, but all should definitely have KitKat as that is the most solid at the moment.

With the deadline for final judging by the official judges approaching (i.e. early June) the word should (my emphasis above) in cyberealitie's reply has been bugging me. I know that my apk will not run on Lollipop and so I really want to make sure that all judges know to only try my app on a Lollipop handset.

cybereality: can you put my mind at ease and remove the word should from your reply above if at all possible 😄

If there's no certainty then I'd like to nag Epic even harder than I have for a fix to this issue on Lollipop - which as it stands still remains unresolved. I think then submitting a bug fix build for my app would be a legit request.
My Gear VR app got through to the Oculus Mobile Jam 2015 finals. Hurray! http://www.clearview.net

spinaljack
Protege
Looking at the dates I think the judging has already ended and they're just waiting to announce the winners (for whatever reason, maybe they need to make sure the selected winner are actually eligible to win etc)

If they had trouble running your app they would have contacted you by now.