cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Neos: The Universe [APK + DK2 build]

Frooxius
Honored Guest
Hello guys!

I'm happy to present you my latest VR experience, Neos: The Universe!, now also for DK2!

Developed for the 2015 VR Jam, this application offers an epic narrative experience that walks you through forty magnitudes of scale within a few minutes, showing you marvels of the universe and the human journey through it, but also lets you explore on your own, smoothly sliding between different scales and exploring all the interesting content using the touchpad on your GearVR or scroll button on your mouse. And be careful where you look at, you might get a surprise!

Windows (219 MB)

OS X (219 MB) - UNTESTED!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Official website

Facebook page

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This demo is also a technical showcase, pushing the limits of mobile VR to show you variety of structures that breathe with life using custom tailored shaders and even sneakily employing lightfields (more on them is coming soon!) - how else would we show complex structures that require hundreds of thousands of polygons to represent on your mobile phone? 🙂

Neos: The Universe is a continuation of the World of Comenius project, which allowed you to travel into the human body, take it apart, play around with 3D geometry or sketch your ideas with your hands a demonstration of the educational potential of VR and it's one of many precursors to a much bigger project I've been working on for months: Neos. A world where you can unleash your creativity and curiosity without restrictions of the real world. There's much more to come, so keep an eye out!

And of course, comments and feedback is welcome!

(Btw, I also have another small game entry if you want to check it out, it's not as polished as this, but could be fun maybe! Check out FlowerGuy!)
16 REPLIES 16

Frooxius
Honored Guest
davidjc: Sometimes the application can lose focus. Make sure to click on the application window with your mouse so it's focused, otherwise it won't accept input.

mbzdmvp: Ah I got the texture swapping bugs too actually, but soon they went away (actually when I added more stuff in, it's almost as if it happened if it had too little to render). Still it was very random bug, which makes it unsettling.

And yes, it's definitely going to take longer to load on a phone, as it's not so powerful (it has to decompress the data and initialize various resources in the memory), which is one of the reasons I put the narration at the beginning to avoid longer wait without nothing happening and smooth it out.

nilstastic
Explorer
"Frooxius" wrote:
nilstastic: Thanks, though I'm not so sure myself... but in any case, it's simple... MAKE MORE VR (and AR) STUFF! 😄

That's an excellent plan. 😃
I just hope that you'll have time for a programmer-centric post mortem. I'm amazed at how you managed to get such graphic fidelity out of such a not-so-powerful device.

minbari73
Honored Guest
This was absolutely incredible. You made me cry dude. I wasn't expecting an emotional reaction from it at all, but the sense of awe i felt was real. Rather like what Tim Allen's character in Galaxy Quest must have felt when the aliens sent him back to Earth, i'd imagine.

My only complaint that i have with this astonishing piece of software is that because the visuals are so overwhelming it's very difficult to pay attention to the narration. It could help if the echo was lowered or even eliminated altogether.

Thank you!

spinaljack
Protege

nilstastic
Explorer
"minbari73" wrote:
This was absolutely incredible. You made me cry dude. I wasn't expecting an emotional reaction from it at all, but the sense of awe i felt was real. Rather like what Tim Allen's character in Galaxy Quest must have felt when the aliens sent him back to Earth, i'd imagine.

My only complaint that i have with this astonishing piece of software is that because the visuals are so overwhelming it's very difficult to pay attention to the narration. It could help if the echo was lowered or even eliminated altogether.

Thank you!

I found the narration quite good actually, liked the whimsical approach and felt like it made it more engaging.

Also, +100 spacepoints for mentioning Galaxy Quest, one of my favorite movies of all time!

minbari73
Honored Guest
I had no problem with the performance or the approach, just the echo which for me at least made it difficult to pay attention to. It's probably just me.

Simon_fransquet
Honored Guest
Hi,
I have a problem with the controls, i have a Motorola moto x and Google cardboard,
The application start well but i cant control it.