Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[WIP] Technolust: Thought Crimes

Anticleric
Expert Protege

TECHNOLUST: THOUGHT CRIMES

Hi everyone!
I'm Blair Renaud (Anticleric), developer of many VR things. Together with Mark Schramm (skyworxx), developer of Darkfield and Nighttime Terror, we're creating this game for the Oculus Mobile Jam.

Check it out:

OVERVIEW
You (the player), take the role of a security professional charged with maintaining order in the dystopian cyberpunk universe of Technolust. Accompanied by your heavily modified artificial intelligence program <clever name here>, you’ll need to be part hacker, part detective and possibly part cyborg to make it through a work shift with any loot in your pocket to fuel your constant need for ramen noodles and VR apps.

GAMEPLAY
Surrounded by banks of monitors, trinkets and gizmos, the player must track down a suspected criminal before they commit a crime predicted by his/her A.I. At the moment the A.I. predicts a crime, the player is given the last 20 minutes of data collect by security equipment to scrub through for clues as to who, where and how the crime will be committed. Each clue will be plugged into a database to narrow down suspects and receive a judgement order.

When a shift ends, the player will be given feedback in the form of news reports and Corp-Sec memos.

The main resource will be time. Every investigation (or move) the player makes, puts criminals once step closer to committing said crime. Much in the vain of games like “Where in the World is Carmen Sandiago”, “Papers Please” and “Clue”, with the added elements of scrubbable timelines, CCTV footage, sensor data, and tough moral decisions.

27 REPLIES 27

Anticleric
Expert Protege
"Raven" wrote:
Looks amazing. Can't wait to play.

"iloontjuh30" wrote:
Wow hope to play this one soon 🙂

Thanks guys. Hope not to disappoint.

Anticleric
Expert Protege

donkaradiablo
Explorer
You know, Technolust had an awesome concept. Very much in line with the "spirit of the age". And it was the style I wished for, for VR, the narrative and the atmosphere. Made me feel good about myself for having paid for it.

Not gonna lie, it was probably the use of scan based models that got my attention first. That's also something I wished to see in VR. But that girl in the chair, with a Rift on her head, saying she had found a way out, gave away the style too and it was an instant buy the second I read that the performance was not bad, so I knew it wasn't a sloppy thing put together for a quick cash grab.

It looks like this one is gonna bring that style and spirit to mobile. Thus I'm really looking forward to this. Don't have a Gear VR (yet), probably gonna have to wait for a PC release but I'll gladly wait for this one.

It's worth the wait, 'cause after all, "if you wish to make an apple pie from scratch..." 😛
Design with input solution, unifying mobile and PC product lines the input solution that could have been ideas Revolutionize the way we interact with... Change the world... Community...

Anticleric
Expert Protege
"donkaradiablo" wrote:
You know, Technolust had an awesome concept. Very much in line with the "spirit of the age". And it was the style I wished for, for VR, the narrative and the atmosphere. Made me feel good about myself for having paid for it.

Not gonna lie, it was probably the use of scan based models that got my attention first. That's also something I wished to see in VR. But that girl in the chair, with a Rift on her head, saying she had found a way out, gave away the style too and it was an instant buy the second I read that the performance was not bad, so I knew it wasn't a sloppy thing put together for a quick cash grab.

It looks like this one is gonna bring that style and spirit to mobile. Thus I'm really looking forward to this. Don't have a Gear VR (yet), probably gonna have to wait for a PC release but I'll gladly wait for this one.

It's worth the wait, 'cause after all, "if you wish to make an apple pie from scratch..." 😛

I love you! Thank you so much for the kind words!

I'm sure that it will eventually be ported to every other VR system. So don't worry about the Gear 😉

spinaljack
Protege
Played this all the way through and it's so very polished, not just the artwork but the UI design and audio as well.
Loading times for those models are quite long though but that doesn't detract from the main game.

Love all the particles and attention to detail.

Good luck with the judging but I don't think you need it 😉

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks! 🙂

Blair spent hours and hours to swap out my crappy programmer's art with nice elements for the UI :).

donkaradiablo
Explorer
Loved it on DK2, thanks 🙂

I like the "Minority Report" touch to the plot, I love how Technolust seems to integrate things I love about sci-fi, mind-f... movies, VR and games, and doesn't turn into a soup because it has a definitive style. Space battle games and third person games with Pixar like style may have the spotlight but this is the kind of game I think of when I hear "VR".

The Enforcer (Martin Striker) just looks awesome. It looks real without risking the uncanny valley thanks to the mask. If the guy yelled "hey!" while I was staring at A-Tek's pants because the shading makes them look real, I don't think my reaction would be to point a gun at the guy... I think I'd be saying "sorry" 😛
Design with input solution, unifying mobile and PC product lines the input solution that could have been ideas Revolutionize the way we interact with... Change the world... Community...

SvenViking
Protege
An excellent, highly atmospheric experience. I didn't fully understand the scoring system or whether actions other than issuing warrants affected the outcome, but that's not important for a demo.
Scorched Battalion - VR Jam edition available for Gear VR and DK2 (Win/Mac/Linux) Jungle Juice Sven Co-op