cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GearVR GALLERY *3d 360 panoramas*

deflix
Honored Guest
Attached are some vray rendered panoramas I built for the Gear VR - these can be viewed using the ORBX viewer from OTOY - just copy the files into the ORBX/samples directory and they will show in the viewer.

They are made by converting the spherical panoramas to cubemap faces using Pano2VR. For those interested in making these the faces need to be organised into a strip in the following order:

0,2,4,5,3,1 - face 4 needs to be rotated 90degress anticlockwise and face 5 needs to be rotated 90degress clockwise. IMPORTANT You will need to mirror (horizontally) your 360 panoramas prior to conversion.

The size of the faces should be 1536sq with the resulting strip being 18432x1536.

As with the DK2 GALLERY I would love to see other users panoramas

11 REPLIES 11

Goldorak
Honored Guest
Just a note - the 3DS Max and Maya plug-ins for Octane VR are now free during the contest, even for commercial use.

http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=46458

You can convert your v-ray scenes automatically to Octane via the 3DS Max plug-in, and get perfect fidelity when rendering to VR. it is not just simple sphere map->cube map translation. The raytracing is handled differently for stereo cube map panos, to reduce warping and improve quality.

Good luck!

deflix
Honored Guest
"Goldorak" wrote:
Just a note - the 3DS Max and Maya plug-ins for Octane VR are now free during the contest, even for commercial use.

thanks for this ill give it a try 🙂

deflix
Honored Guest
So I tried it and with another lat long shader but have to say I prefer the look of my 0.5degree strip rendered versions - the added processing gives them a nicer feel which is easier on my eyes for some reason. Its annoying because its more fiddly. Here are some more ;

pittsburghjoe
Protege
I tried the first two you posted in Gear VR. They look fantastic.
Is it only me that has a problem with the vertical metal bamboo polls in the "smelling room" that are closest to you? I think I get a little crossed eyed with them.

deflix
Honored Guest
"pittsburghjoe" wrote:
I tried the first two you posted in Gear VR. They look fantastic.
Is it only me that has a problem with the vertical metal bamboo polls in the "smelling room" that are closest to you? I think I get a little crossed eyed with them.

You will get slightly cross eyed in that one becauset he join line is there so the stereo effect breaks down - that and these are parallel rig panoramas so objects close to camera do get a bit off also.

You may find some of the others interesting too - the darker blue one is a large model of a building which was suprisingly effective

standard3d
Honored Guest
You can also view these as Holodeck programs.

http://standard3d.com/Holodeck/

maxdaiber
Honored Guest
hei guys, do you know a way to see this panoramas directly on the rift? i don't have acces to a the gearVR

"deflix" wrote:
Attached are some vray rendered panoramas I built for the Gear VR - these can be viewed using the ORBX viewer from OTOY - just copy the files into the ORBX/samples directory and they will show in the viewer.

They are made by converting the spherical panoramas to cubemap faces using Pano2VR. For those interested in making these the faces need to be organised into a strip in the following order:

0,2,4,5,3,1 - face 4 needs to be rotated 90degress anticlockwise and face 5 needs to be rotated 90degress clockwise. IMPORTANT You will need to mirror (horizontally) your 360 panoramas prior to conversion.

The size of the faces should be 1536sq with the resulting strip being 18432x1536.

As with the DK2 GALLERY I would love to see other users panoramas

Thanks so much for this deflix!

Hi deflix, i've just got around to viewing yours but can't - the viewer (me) appears to be in a very tall tube.

Is there anything i need to do to your images before copying them to Orbx or 360 Photos? I thought they were ready to be dropped and viewed?

Thanks.