cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Audio plays either too fast or too slow on Gear VR

hexagon99
Honored Guest
I upgraded to the 0.6 SDK and I am using Unity 4.6.6. Everything works fine in the editor, but when I build to the Gear VR all the audio will play too fast, like your are seeking through a CD. Everything visual runs normally. I tried downgrading back to the 0.5.1 SDK and also to Unity 4.6.5 which worked temporarily, but it randomly started again and now it is playing too slow. The pitch of the audio is not affected, just the speed.

I have now upgraded again to 0.6 and 4.6.6 and the audio is still too slow. I am running Kit Kat on my note 4. Does anyone know what the issue is here? Thanks in advance!
9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am having the same problem as well, but I tried a workaround...
I noticed that if I suspend the app, and return to it, the audio gets fixed.
I figured then maybe the audio-related parts in the Oculus Mobile SDK haven't initialized properly?
I tried playing the audio a few seconds later after app start-up, but it only worked a few times.

I have isolated it to a new empty Unity scene playing a sound.
Everything works, until the Oculus integration is imported.
You don't even need to be using the OVRCameraRig to reproduce the issue.
The problem is fairly consistent...

I am running:
KitKat Note 4
Unity 4.6.7f1
UnityIntegration 0.6.0.1

Has anyone found a solution to this problem?
Maybe I am using the wrong plugins or something?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Problem solved!

As per the manual...
You'll need Unity 4.6.3, specifically.
I then used the 0.5.1 Mobile SDK.

Now, I don't know how well the 0.6.0.1 Mobile SDK works here; I haven't tested it yet.
Finally though, my audio problems are solved!

I sure hope this helps others. This issue seems to be pretty obscure...

jkimovr
Honored Guest
hexagon99, did this work fine before you upgraded to 0.6? Can you also provide an apk for us to try?

CuriousInventor
Honored Guest
Hi, I'm getting a similar problem. Using latest SDK 0.6.0.1, Unity 4.6.6 plays all audio clips too fast. Pitch is fine, but it skips and sounds glitchy, almost double speed. Building the same project with Unity 4.6.4f1 never has this issue. Running on Note 4 (SM-N910T) and Gear VR, android 4.4.4.

sfaok
Protege
I have the same problem when I build my app in Unity 4.6.6 using the 0.6.0.1 SDK. Sound is double speed, crackles really badly. Same exact build in 4.6.3 is fine.
Developer of Ocean Rift. Follow me on Twitter @sfaok

cybereality
Grand Champion
If you are using Unity 4.6, you can work around this by removing the following line from AndroidManifest.xml:

<meta-data android:name="com.samsung.android.vr.application.mode" android:value="vr_only"/>

Though the issue may stop, any apps missing that line will not be approved to go in the store. However, you can use the work-around to continue development while we solve the core issue. At this point, we know what the problem is, and it should be solved in a future update. So you'll just have to wait a bit longer. Thanks.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

hexagon99
Honored Guest
I have upgraded from 4.6.3 to 4.6.7 and am now using the latest SDK 0.6.1.0 This audio issue is back. I would like to submit my game soon. Should I roll back to 4.6.3 and the older SDK?

sfaok
Protege
I believe 4.6.7p3 fixes this issue.

https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/patch-releases

(none) - Android: Audio - Fixed CPU consumption by FMODAudioDevice thread on GearVR.
(695642) - GearVR: Fixed sound issues when using fast mixer.
Developer of Ocean Rift. Follow me on Twitter @sfaok

hexagon99
Honored Guest
Yup that's where I should have looked 😄 Thanks a lot!