cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[APK download] Crashland Reborn

sfaok
Protege
Hi my name is Llŷr. In this thread I'm going to document the development of my VR gamejam entry.

---------------------------------------------------
ChallengePost : http://vrjam.challengepost.com/submissi ... and-reborn
Download : Crashland Reborn APK
--------------------------------------------------

In Crashland Reborn, you will find yourself marooned on a hostile alien planet. Armed with only a smart pistol and motion scanner, your will need to fend off waves of increasingly ferocious aliens and survive until rescue arrives.

While the odds are stacked against you, killing aliens yields credits which can be spent on various power-ups for your gun. These will (probably) come in two forms:

• Firing modes (single shot, three round burst, full auto, rockets).
• Upgrades – stackable stat boosts (damage, reload, accuracy, rate of fire, capacity).

Power-ups will be purchased via a HUD that appears when you tap the Gear VR’s touchpad. The HUD will also display information such as credits and time left.

The power-ups will be delivered in the most metal way imaginable - via mortars launched from orbit! These will land in your general vicinity to encourage movement.

The game’s theme and visuals will be a pastiche of films such as Aliens, Predator, Robocop, Dredd and Starship Troopers. Very blocky, 1980’s design with Paul Verhoeven levels of blood squibs.

----------

There are four salient aspects to my entry:

1. The aim is to develop a fast and action packed FPS that adheres to VR best practices. Of paramount importance is how comfortable the game is to control. All rotational movement will come from the player’s own body, balanced around using a swivel chair. There will be no analogue rotation. I will attempt to create an intuitive control scheme that combines head tracking with decoupled aiming.

2. The game will be wholly designed around a short 10-15 minute experience, which I believe is the perfect length for mobile VR.

3. The gameplay is designed to invoke a constant arms race between the player and the attacking aliens. It will be completely up to the player how they upgrade their pistol, yielding many permutations, strategies and meta gameplay for the community to discover.

4. The aliens will hopefully be driven by a procedural animation system. This means that every encounter will be unique and should result in a very visceral minute-to-minute experience.

I'll leave you with a work in progress render of the alien species you will face in Crashland Reborn, 6 legged terrors I'm calling Frog Demons!

Note: As mentioned I released a DK1 demo called Crashland in Summer 2013 and I will be reusing the name, premise and some assets from that demo here. However I want to stress that the experience I am developing for this gamejam is completely new and will be designed and coded entirely from scratch for the competition.
Developer of Ocean Rift. Follow me on Twitter @sfaok
72 REPLIES 72

sfaok
Protege
Thanks for your response and suggestions, very welcome!

"KevinLongtime" wrote:
I am incredibly happy you are working on this game once again. Has to be the best full body experience i've ever tried on DK1 and hydra
Cheers! Yes can't wait to get my hands on the Touch controllers :twisted:

"HomerS66" wrote:
Bugs/suggestions in case this great game gets an release on the Oculus Store somewhen in the future (hopefully):

- sometimes when i buy upgrades and they fall down, they land at places which i cant reach and therefore are waisted/can decide a game. I know tough luck but still would be nice if there was a way around it. Maybe i can try to shoot them down when they land on the big rock but sometimes i dont even see them anymore.
Yeah it's a dumb system, mortars drop a random distance away from where you currently are. So make sure you are in a clearing before requesting. You can use rocket explosions to bring the powerups to you if out of reach 😉

"HomerS66" wrote:

- quite a few times after a i got killed, the next round has lost some colours, the planet is blue and the spiders are all black. Not sure if that is Lollipop related or could have happened on Kitkat aswell. The colours return only when i reboot the phone, just restarting the app doesnt help.
Not see this when developing, as you say might be a Lollipop specific thing.

"HomerS66" wrote:

- it would be great that if the overheating/cool down message comes, the game could still be continued (even with throttled performance) as sometimes i was close to the finish line but had to stop after the message came.
Not seen the throttled message on Note 4, interesting. I push the phone pretty hard towards the end when there are 3+ aliens on screen at once.

"HomerS66" wrote:

- a voice which tells you every minute how much time is left would be nice, as in the heat of the battles i often don't have time to check the timer or i get killed.
That's definitely something I want to add. It's on the to-do list.

HomerS66
Expert Protege
"sfaok" wrote:

"HomerS66" wrote:

- it would be great that if the overheating/cool down message comes, the game could still be continued (even with throttled performance) as sometimes i was close to the finish line but had to stop after the message came.
Not seen the throttled message on Note 4, interesting. I push the phone pretty hard towards the end when there are 3+ aliens on screen at once.

Yeh i only get the overheating message after around 20-30 minutes of playing.

Yay i finally did it and was able to finish it. Those spiders looked pissed when i left the planet 😉
I could have sworn i had 4700 points but when i looked at the rankings it said i had only 700. Does the rescueing cost money aswell or maybe a bug?

sfaok
Protege
"HomerS66" wrote:

Yeh i only get the overheating message after around 20-30 minutes of playing.

Yay i finally did it and was able to finish it. Those spiders looked pissed when i left the planet 😉
I could have sworn i had 4700 points but when i looked at the rankings it said i had only 700. Does the rescueing cost money aswell or maybe a bug?
Awesome - well done! I only got to the end a few times during the gamejam so it wasn't exactly extensively tested. Not sure why your points aren't showing - probably a bug. In general I know the high score system should work though.