Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

Starting VR from inside a non-VR app?

kavskavs Posts: 13
edited January 2016 in Oculus Go Development
I work in the mobile game space. Games I work on aren't really suited for VR, but there are parts that could be turned into a VR experience pretty easily and convincingly.

Let's say I had a top-down 3D racing game. The gameplay and racing is handled outside of VR, but what if I wanted to allow the user to enter VR to view your cars in the garage? Or after the race, go to the finish line in VR and watch yourself finish the race.

When I build an app for GearVR, it asks me to 'please insert the device into the GearVR' which then boots the app. Is there support for nested VR like this inside a non-VR mobile application? I'm assuming not, but am hoping it's on the roadmap somewhere. Companion viewers would be a reasonable stepping stone if you could access game data from other applications, but it'd be neater to have it all in one bundle.

Comments

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    No, this is not supported currently. Sorry.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • kavskavs Posts: 13
    No problem! Good to know and thanks for the quick response. :)
  • markya0616markya0616 Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    How about the hybrid app?
  • kilogoldkilogold Posts: 32
    Brain Burst
    kavs wrote:
    I work in the mobile game space. Games I work on aren't really suited for VR, but there are parts that could be turned into a VR experience pretty easily and convincingly.

Let's say I had a top-down 3D racing game. The gameplay and racing is handled outside of VR, but what if I wanted to allow the user to enter VR to view your cars in the garage? Or after the race, go to the finish line in VR and watch yourself finish the race.

When I build an app for GearVR, it asks me to 'please insert the device into the GearVR' which then boots the app. Is there support for nested VR like this inside a non-VR mobile application? I'm assuming not, but am hoping it's on the roadmap somewhere. Companion viewers would be a reasonable stepping stone if you could access game data from other applications, but it'd be neater to have it all in one bundle.

I recommend you take a look at Google Cardboard API.
    They do support hybrid app development (toggle VR mode):
    https://developers.google.com/cardboard/overview