cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uploading video WITH 360 AUDIO to Samsung Gear VR

ashcowan
Honored Guest
Hi there,

I have been uploading 360 videos to the 360 Videos folder on the Samsung Gear VR micro SD card for some time now. All these videos have been with stereo sound. I am now ready to upload videos with 360 binaural sound, which will respond the motion of the head and stay in sync with the changing video. How can I do this? I see that the Strangers Patrick Watson video has separate sound files. Is this the way to go?

Thanks

Ashley
21 REPLIES 21

Sassota
Explorer
Do you use FMOD? I don´t know if you can track oculus head position writing an specific code, but using parameters inside an event, you can change between four audio files more freely and test more possible scenarios.

waynekhin
Honored Guest
"ashcowan" wrote:
Hi there,

I have been uploading 360 videos to the 360 Videos folder on the Samsung Gear VR micro SD card for some time now. All these videos have been with stereo sound. I am now ready to upload videos with 360 binaural sound, which will respond the motion of the head and stay in sync with the changing video. How can I do this? I see that the Strangers Patrick Watson video has separate sound files. Is this the way to go?

Thanks

Ashley

I do have the same question Ashley. I came from Audio Post Production studio with Pro Tools as my main DAW. I would like to know how to encode 360 audio streams (whatever it is called :-), to a video, music video for example. I have no idea how to go about it. I have been trying to find information on the internet without and answers yet. Some of the questions I have are, 1. what is the audio format? 2. How many channels of audio needed? What software/plugin to be used to encode that audio file? Of course, the head tracking thing is the feature which makes exciting.

This is the example of the video I am referring: https://youtu.be/SB8wg-icjfo

I believe there are 4 channels of audio tracks.

Wayne

jelmet
Honored Guest
"SamsungDTL" wrote:
MilkVR supports 5.1 spatial audio that can just be baked into the mp4 file. An example video with that spatial audio is here that can be played in MilkVR: https://milkvr.com/cdn/assets/CarBee51.mp4. More details on our spatial audio spec can be found here: https://milkvr.com/#/content/spec. We are usually able to convert the typical binaural separate wave + mp3 files into this 5.1 format. This also has the advantage that it is easier to stream.

Can't access those files anymore... any other link available?

"xfghsfgh" wrote:
I have done this and it works!

Created the 5.1 mix in logic, bake to mp4 and put on the card.

Only annoying thing is MilkVR isn't available in the UK so I have to use Hola and then turn off Wifi.

xfghsfgh: did it spatialize properly? Could you confirm that the channel order is: left, right, center, lfe, left surround and right surround?

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've also just tested this and it works fine. Output a standard 5.1 mp4 from Premiere straight into Milk VR, and the tracking is spot on. Problem now is trying to work out how to get it to work with the Oculus VR app..

Yggdrasilbury
Honored Guest
Does anyone here have experience from baking mp4 files with ambisonic/spatial audio that works with the head tracker?
And if so, would that work for Cardboard, too?

dahnovka
Honored Guest
"Yggdrasilbury" wrote:
Does anyone here have experience from baking mp4 files with ambisonic/spatial audio that works with the head tracker?

bump, looking for the same info

audiospill
Honored Guest

I'm also trying to figure out how to get spatial audio working on Samsung Gear VR through the Oculus player. I have come across the workflow mentioned on another thread which involves muxing a 4 channel .wav file with an .mkv video file, but when I try to play this on the player, it just plays the static stereo - no spatial audio.

Weird thing is the same video works fine on YouTube with spatial audio. To put it up there, I had to inject spatial metadata (https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6395969?hl=en-GB&ref_topic=2888648) but I'm guessing this isn't required for the Oculus player?

Anyone who has managed to successfully upload video with spatial audio to Samsung Gear VR, please share how you did it.

Thanks!

RonaldvanderSpe
Honored Guest
It Works. 😄 thank you all... i missed the _360 et the end of the file. 

Thamos
Honored Guest
Hi !
I'm making a video for the oculus player on a Gear VR but i don't know if there is some metadata or a specific name like _amb or _ambix. Does anyone knows ?
Thanks

Petroza
Heroic Explorer
The other thread has more info. https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/comment/343286/#Comment_343286

To answer specific questions here:
MP4 is not supported because the Android AAC decoder downmixes everything to stereo which prevents us doing ambisonics, this may change in the future.

The recommended format is MKV(H.264 video with Vorbis Audio)

There is no metadata required, if it's a 360 video with 4 channel audio it assumes that is first order ambisonics in the AmbiX (ACN/SN3D) format.