cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Gear VR] What version of Unreal Engine are you using?

andrewtek
Expert Protege
Hi All,

If you are using Unreal Engine to develop for GearVR, would you mind sharing the version of Unreal Engine you are using?

Thanks!
30 REPLIES 30

motorsep
Rising Star
4.10.4 here..

Tbh, I don't think a lot of people use UE4 for Gear VR, and most of those who use it don't even come to this forum.

I linked Oculus test cases to check before GDC, but I am not sure if they will get to test it until Rift is released (and probably a few month after that, until major kinks are sorted out).

Sad situation really. Feels like Gear VR is now a semi-abandoned platform when it comes to UE4, from both sides, Oculus and Epic. Unity on the other hand is treated as beloved child 🙂 (but I prefer UE4 due to Blueprints and tools).

andrewtek
Expert Protege
I really like UE4, but I need my tools to work. I just installed Unity and was able to get something deployed to my GearVR in less than 45 minutes. It worked perfectly.

Sigh.

motorsep
Rising Star
"andrewtek" wrote:
I really like UE4, but I need my tools to work. I just installed Unity and was able to get something deployed to my GearVR in less than 45 minutes. It worked perfectly.

Sigh.

Switching to Unity?

artyom17
Expert Protege
Hey guys,

It would be great if you provide us with detailed feedback what is not working well in UE4 with GearVR and we'll do our best to deliver. It is true that up to very recent times GearVR+UE4 wasn't a high priority platform, but this is changing right now and we are interested to make UE4+GearVR at least as good as Unity+GearVR. Let discuss this!

motorsep
Rising Star
Artyom17, you just made my day!

Here are the reports I filed with Epic already:

https://answers.unrealengine.com/questi ... les-2.html
https://answers.unrealengine.com/questi ... scene.html
https://answers.unrealengine.com/questi ... enabl.html
https://answers.unrealengine.com/questi ... upted.html

The last one isn't critical since Gear VR now can take screenshots and record videos (and I got bluetooth keyboard now, so..).

It would be nice to have Oculus Social (including avatars and lipsync, likes, etc.) in UE4

Instanced rendering would be nice, but I am not sure whether it's in Epic's or Oculus department.

Having something like what Unity offers (VR Assets) for UE4 would be really nice to have. I went over this with vrdaveb here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=30680 (closer to the end)

artyom17
Expert Protege
It is great to know that Epic guys are already looking at the rendering issues you are having with mobile UE4. Do you know that UE4 has a command-line option '-featureleveles2' that basically supposed to reproduce mobile rendering on PC? It had some issues with stereo rendering before, I haven't tried it for awhile, but we need to make it work if it doesn't. This could significantly simplify reproduction and fixing rendering issues for mobile.

Instanced rendering is definitely one of the high prio features, however, that requires support on hardware / graphics driver side first (and, of course, unreal engine forward renderer should support it too).

GearVR templates is also a planned feature to add (both BP and C++, however, BP on mobile could be not the best idea due to perf hit).

motorsep
Rising Star
"artyom17" wrote:
It is great to know that Epic guys are already looking at the rendering issues you are having with mobile UE4. Do you know that UE4 has a command-line option '-featureleveles2' that basically supposed to reproduce mobile rendering on PC? It had some issues with stereo rendering before, I haven't tried it for awhile, but we need to make it work if it doesn't. This could significantly simplify reproduction and fixing rendering issues for mobile.

Torn mesh can be worked around with several meshes (each probably no more than 10k tris). Not hitting 60 fps is what bothers me 😞 Maybe Epic can add a special material type optimized for mobile VR (diffuse, norm, spec and emission only, no PBR) ?

Nope, didn't know about that. Do I add it to UE4 launcher's shortcut ? Not really sure how to use cmd line arguments with UE4 due to it being launched through the launcher.

"artyom17" wrote:
Instanced rendering is definitely one of the high prio features, however, that requires support on hardware / graphics driver side first (and, of course, unreal engine forward renderer should support it too).

I see. So unless Mali GPU supports instanced rendering, it would be no use on S6 ?

"artyom17" wrote:
GearVR templates is also a planned feature to add (both BP and C++, however, BP on mobile could be not the best idea due to perf hit).

Well, that's the whole idea of using UE4. If I have to learn language, I'd rather go for Unity (since C# in Unity is easier than conventional C# amd definitely easier than C++), but making art/design/sounds/etc. and on top of that working on the game logic implies simplifying and streamlining certain tasks. Fortunately BP allows that, and with BP > C++ compiler that is coming with 4.11 or 4.12, performance shouldn't really be an issue, especially that I am not really planning on doing some heavy math in BP 🙂

Essentially, I am starting with very basic experiences / games in VR, and by the time I need every millisecond of performance, I am sure I'll have a dedicated C++ programmer on the team. However, to get there, BP is what I have to use.

andrewtek
Expert Protege
Hi Artyom,

I am really happy to hear that you are working on getting the UE4/GearVR issues fixed. The issue I am currently running into can be found here:
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=30906

I was able to do a build in Unity that did not have the problem. And I have never had the problem when building for DK2.

As it relates to GearVR, the following would be super useful:

1. Guidance on what version(s) of Unreal Engine are supported/should work.
2. A List of repeatable steps that should be taken to get a UE4 project building a GearVR APK files. The documentation from Epic is out of date.

The steps do not need to be ~easy~, but without steps it is nearly impossible to troubleshoot an issue.

Thanks!

motorsep
Rising Star
4.10.4 works, which is the latest stable. I wouldn't use 4.9 nor 4.11 preview. Just a common sense.

Also, to be fair, I followed Epic's instructions and build/deployed to my S6 almost flawlessly. There are only a few small things that aren't in the docs there.