cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Gear VR] Unable to hit 60 fps

motorsep
Rising Star
I have a basic scene (FPS template BP) in two vartiations - One with disabled rendering of the view weapon model and the rest is as-is and the same scene, but with all unlit materials and removed sky sphere (it looks all black).

In both variants I get 58 fps and 17 ms using stat FPS console cmd. Using Unreal 4.10.4. Some people claim they have stable 60 fps in their UE4 games/prototypes on Gear VR.

Any idea what could be the issue? Thanks.
24 REPLIES 24

motorsep
Rising Star
So, https://answers.unrealengine.com/questi ... scene.html

I don't think my 45k mesh causing problems with performance, when FPS template scene (with ~100 tris at most) has exactly the same fps as 45k tris scene.

vrdaveb
Oculus Staff
On mobile, it isn't just a matter of the total number of vertices and triangles in your meshes. It's a tiled renderer, so a single large mesh that covers the whole screen will actually be re-drawn for each tile, causing massive duplication of work. If you split up the mesh into ~16k chunks, the chunks are less likely to fall on multiple screen tiles, cutting down on wasted work.

motorsep
Rising Star
I see. Ok, I'll test that. Still doesn't explain same fps in almost empty scene.

I going to test with 4.11pre7.

motorsep
Rising Star
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwE6dxM0O2PsWkN3RDZYelZxLW8

Updated project for 4.11p8, mesh is cut into 20 pcs, textures resolution is dropped to 2k. 

I haven't had a chance to test it (forgot to copy OSIG into 4.11 folder and had no time to rebuild, had to go to work). Can someone please test it and see if fps improved and if static mesh level is made of is intact ? Thanks.

motorsep
Rising Star
Never mind. I tested it and while "torn" mesh artifact is gone, performance is still the same - 58 fps.

moulder6
Protege
ysvb5h9erxh3.png

What's wrong with this picture? The "scene" easily meets all the requirements outlined in the Unreal docs. Two boxes in the scene, 2 materials, 1 static light with the lighting built. Every post process is off, except for Temporal AA. Nothing else going on in the scene. Still, the GPU is obviously doing something that takes 16-18ms.

Built with 4.11preview 8. The result is absolutely the same with 4.10.4. Running on a S6 with Marshmallow 6.0.1 - was exactly the same on Lollipop 5.1.1.

motorsep
Rising Star

moulder6 said:

What's wrong with this picture? The "scene" easily meets all the requirements outlined in the Unreal docs. Two boxes in the scene, 2 materials, 1 static light with the lighting built. Every post process is off, except for Temporal AA. Nothing else going on in the scene. Still, the GPU is obviously doing something that takes 16-18ms.

Built with 4.11preview 8. The result is absolutely the same with 4.10.4. Running on a S6 with Marshmallow 6.0.1 - was exactly the same on Lollipop 5.1.1.

Temporal AA doesn't work on mobile.

Other than that, welcome to UE4 for Gear VR world :neutral:  (btw, Oculus folks, we need more emoticons!)

moulder6
Protege

motorsep said: Temporal AA doesn't work on mobile.

According to the Unreal documentation, on mobile they use a version of Temporal. Plus there's definitely AA working in that scene, whatever it might be.

Stil this doesn't explain the gpu load and the low framerate. Any ideas about this?

motorsep
Rising Star
I believe there is hardware AA when using Gear VR. I disable all AA in UE4 project and still see AA in action when using Gear VR.

Allegedly Epic and Oculus are investigating these performance issues.

motorsep
Rising Star

Ok, I think I see where the issue potentially is - render scale.

I had render scale slider at less than 100% all this time, hoping for performance boost. Yesterday I set it to 100%, and in some instances I got 61 fps in my scene.

Btw, it seems that stat Engine and stat SceneRendering show total numbers for everything. Is there a cmd to show stats for what's actually being rendered and not total number of things in the scene?