Did you mean: 

[deleted]

thisisteekay
Honored Guest
[deleted]
20 REPLIES 20

Buckaroo
Explorer
dome2rect + VirtualDub have worked well for me. You still have to convert to images, though.

jherico
Adventurer
I'm a little lost.  All of this commentary seems to be talking about pre-processing a video, but to my mind, the most efficient way to do this would be to feed the original video into OpenGL or DirectX and map it on to a mesh that provides the desired distortion.  That's how Oculus does the lens correction, and it's a great way of offloading the work onto the GPU where it belongs.  

scottoculus
Protege
OpenGL can distort video but trying to combine 2 or more images in realtime has it's limits. It also means that the video can only played on that one app and not uploaded to any other video sites. preprocessing allwos you to adjust and refine the video stitch. You can then upload to any site that does VR and even with na player it's an earlier task to simply map it to a sphere or other shape.

Anonymous
Not applicable
The Kodak SP360 4K cameras is a fisheye style camera and they have free software that may work. I have been able to load a 205 degree 2304 by 2304 MP4 exported from AE and it worked. Here is a link.

PC SOFTWARE For KODAK PIXPRO SP360 4K Action Camera / YouTube™ 360° Support

Let me know if it works.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Try using the Sp360 4K software to unwrap. MP4 is the format excepted.

PC SOFTWARE For KODAK PIXPRO SP360 4K Action Camera / YouTube™ 360° Support

scottoculus
Protege
Be aware the Kodak software produces inferior quality to Kolor AVP and other stitchers. Lower res with minimal controls.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Be aware the Kodak software produces inferior quality to Kolor AVP and other stitchers. Lower res with minimal controls.

Not True. The new version of the software provided by PixPro including the stitch software now supports 4K  3840x1920 resolution export. The controls and adjustments are less then AVP but the price is a bit less, ie: Free vs ...

They are continuing to refine the software and add features. 

The 4K cameras by Kodak (JK Imaging) are quite good. I have the dual camera bundle and using it for immersive video in my VR apps.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just to add to my previous comment, I believe Kolor AVP/APG bundle the best option for Stitching 2 fisheye videos back to back with a max MP4 resolution of 4096x2048. Other non-standard formats have a larger resolution. Far superior stitching then PixPro Stitching software which will get the job done but you will have some seam issues. But again it's free.

Just a reminder, there are two PixPro apps. One for controlling the camera from a computer and unfolding video and another for stitching two videos together.

From what I understand of the needs of the OP what is needed is to take the 180° video and convert to Equirectangular. The PixPro SP360 4K camera saves a 1:1 aspect 2880x2880 MP4. The 180° video will need to be 1:1 as well. Exporting a 1:1 video out of Adobe Premiere or After Effects the max resolution for MP4 is 2304x2304. I have tested an exported MP4 at 2304x2304 and it works well in the PixPro software.

In the PixPro SP360 4K app select playback and edit tab. Double click on the Disk icon to set the folder with the videos. Select the 1:1 video and select the YouTube icon to export. Select FOV orientation and resolution and export.

One note, the SP360 4k camera is 235° fisheye or 205° if stabilization is on. You may need to adjust the 180° video to be slightly smaller to compensate. 

Best of luck.

mediavr
Protege
My workflow for processing side by side 180 degree videos on modified Gopros (3+ Black with Dual Hero System for sync and 185 degree lenses) involves calibration of a frame pair of images with PTGui . I have calibrated one of the cameras with a panorama head  using PTGui. Then with the pair of images from both cameras I calibrate the second camera to the first pre-calibrated camera with a test shot with distant scenery with PTGui. So there are two lots of PTGui parameters for both cameras, fov, yaw, pitch and roll, a, b, and c distortion parameters and h and v sensor shift parameters.Output format is set as 360/180 equirectangular. Distant scenery is now rendered identically in equirectangular form if you output them now or check them in the PTGui preview window.

These parameter values have to be entered into Autopano Video Pro for the rest of the AVP processing to stereo equirectangular 180 by 180 pair of videos. If you load both original videos into AVP it will try to stitch them as though it is a 2D 360 and give you a distorted picture whenever you try to "stitch" in AVP -- no matter if you enter ball park parameters manually.

So forget about automatic stitching optimization with AVP and transfer your parameters directly from PTGui to the AVP parameter panel. This is the tricky bit: yaw, pitch and roll are transferable directly. H and V have to be transposed going from PTGui to AVP -- ie. H for PTGui is V for AVP etc.  I am not so sure about this H, V bit. (Maybe to do with whether my cameras are vertical in the rig). And then the fov has to be tweaked a degree or so from what PTGui says. You can see the effect of your changes directly in the AVP preview window so the fringes will disappear with distant scenery when you have  it right. You need to be careful with positioning your crop circles individually in both PTGui (in the initial calibration) and AVP. Then you have a template for your rig  in AVP you can reuse thereafter --if you have a rig with reproducible camera mounting - without going back to PTGui. And AVP stabilization and stereo previewing and fast output are a boon for 3d 180 processing.

Anonymous
Not applicable
@ thisisteekay

You might be interested in RE:Lens by us (revisionfx.com) - (currently for AE and Premiere) - the plugin  ToLatLong supports fisheye to equirectangular -  equidistant, equisolid (like Canon, Sigma fisheye) and stereographic (like Rokinon/Samyang) lens mapping are supported.

Pierre