cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DK2 with 0.8 Runtime Viable (or even able) to Run 1.3 SDK Products?

MyDreamOR
Explorer
We're currently working on a project that takes older games and makes them playable with HMDs, and we've updated to 1.3 SDK. We had the team update to the 1.2 runtime.

Unfortunately since we are a remote studio, we could only allocate DK2s to most of the team and our CV1 is dedicated to the project lead. With the 1.2 runtime, the DK2 doesn't appear to work with anything outside Oculus Store and World Demo scene (SteamVR and our product don't pick it up at all) which makes testing and development with the DK2s rather impossible.

Can we use the 0.8 runtime on the DK2 and expect full functionality with the product, now that it has been updated to 1.3 SDK? Otherwise will it be compromised but still usable with some minor errors? 
7 REPLIES 7

Ybalrid
Expert Protege
For me 1.3 works fine on DK2. If your team update your rendering code to 1.3 you should be able to run demo of the same binary on both CV1 and DK2...

cybereality
Grand Champion
No, Runtime 1.3 is not backwards compatible with older SDKs. However, you can still attempt to use DK2 with 1.3 content (it's technially unsupported, and may or may not work depending on what you're doing).

thewhiteambit
Adventurer
I just wanted do ask if 1.3SDK will run on 0.8Runtime. Tested it, found out it does not. Wanted to test with 1.3Runtime - am I totally stupid, why can't I find 1.3Runtime in the 1.3SDK or somewere else for download?

crramirez
Honored Guest
@thewhiteambit you are not stupid, but the runtime it is difficult for us whose don't have the quickstart which comes with Oculus CV1. You can find the address in the user guide in the support tab. This is the link: https://www.oculus.com/en-us/setup/ I spent nor less of 10 minutes to find it.

thewhiteambit
Adventurer
yeah, my thread on this got 400+ views 😄 solved it short after posting...

cybereality
Grand Champion
Yes, the latest runtime is really hard to find. We are working on getting this placed on the site somewhere visible. For now you just kind of have to either have seen the URL (it comes in the Rift box) or search the forum. Sorry for the confusion.

MyDreamOR
Explorer
Ahh yeah saw the other threads about this and figured it out. 🙂 I didn't realize the 1.3 runtime wasn't just waiting in the Downloads part of the Oculus website, but I eventually found the setup link.

Thanks all!