Sound problem — Oculus
Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

Sound problem

I am having a issue where sometimes 5 minutes or so into my game the sound will start slowing down / stuttering. The FPS stays at 60 for a time, but then the sound stuttering continues and then eventually the game performance drops to being unplayable.

At first I thought this was an issue with calling a TransitionTo Snapshot mixing different audio sources, as that's when I first noticed it.

I then removed that function to test it, and ran into the issue again. The problem is I can't locate why this is happening or from what and it's random and so far experienced only on one level in the game.

Using Unity 5.3.4, Oculus Audio 1.0.2 SDK DSP set to Best performance. and Unity Utilities V0.1.3.0-beta.

I've also tried disabling reflections on the ONSP Audio Sources, and initially I thought it sounded like things were reflecting and bouncing causing the performance to drop in the Gear VR.

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem? Is there an update coming to the Audio SDK soon?

Comments

• petergiokarispetergiokaris Posts: 170 Oculus Staff
    Hi there,

Cracking with the spatializer (in particular, within GearVR) will quickly manifest based on large room sizes and lots of spatialized sounds playing.

We are aware of an issue that pausing sounds will still be processing through the spatializer, which eats up the audio CPU. There will be a fix in the next version that addresses turning off spatializtion when an audio source is not playing.

To confirm that this is an audio CPU issue, I would recommend profiling it while on android to see if you are able to pinpoint how many sounds are actively playing and what the audio CPU cost is. If you are able to do that, could you let us know here what you find?

Thanks,
    Peter
    Peter Giokaris
    Senior Software Engineer
  • justin.wasilenkojustin.wasilenko Posts: 33
    Brain Burst
    Room size is set to 50, and global scale at 1000, that could be it. It's a space game, so there is no room to speak of.

So far I haven't been able to track it down just yet, cause it hasn't happened while I've been able to run the Profiler.

Is than an eta on the next version?
  • DaveDriggersDaveDriggers Posts: 114 Oculus Staff
    We're planning for a release in the next week or two.
    dave driggers | audio programmer | Oculus VR