Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

Learning UDK

ianmacmillanianmacmillan Posts: 95
Hiro Protagonist
edited April 2013 in Unreal Development
Hi all,

Does anyone know of any good, current tutorials for complete UDK newbies? And a more immediate question is how do I edit scripts in UDK Editor?

Reading the the PDF provide by Oculus, I see references to various classes/objects, like PlayerController.uc, for example. I can find this file in explorer, but I can't figure out how to view/edit it from within UDK.

Thanks.

Comments

• tagrasstagrass Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    The tutorials over at thenewboston.org are pretty helpful for beginners. He touched on almost all the features and gives you quick little tutorials for there use.

http://thenewboston.org/list.php?cat=12
  • video tutorials from udk website is good place to start.
    http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/VideoTutorials.html#3D Buzz Video Tutorials - UT3 Toolkit
    especially check out those 3D buzz tutorials, it should give you a basic idea how things work.

also search unrealscript on youtube. there are a lot of things you can find on the net.
  • I second sendmyfile's recommendation... I watched the "Simple Level" set of tutorials and they were really well made and informative :)
    Oculus Hut
    - A big fat slice of VR

A page I made about surfing the virtual reality web!
    Janus VR Room 45: [url=janus://zion.vrsites.com/1/45]janus://zion.vrsites.com/1/45[/url]
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj70pq7hA26fvLv832NmboA
    A little UE4 experience: Virtual Bard
  • ianmacmillanianmacmillan Posts: 95
    Hiro Protagonist
    Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone.

I have already watched many of the newboston tutorials, but I guess I haven't seen the one that shows how to edit scripts. None of their descriptions give any hints about script discussion, so I guess I'll just have to watch all 40+ of them. :)

And I'll check the other sites as well.
  • KrisperKrisper Posts: 168
    I followed this tutorial the other day
    Had nothing to do with what I wanted to do with scripting, but the author is very thorough at explaining about creating classes, and compiling the scripts for them to work in UDK. It would also relate to editing existing scripts.
  • JoewaJoewa Posts: 26
    Brain Burst
    You don't edit Unrealscript through the editor, but through whatever text editor you want. Under UDK\Development\Src is where you'll find it all - open .uc files in Notepad or Notepad++ or Visual Studio or whatever. The default gametype is called SimpleGame and you'll find it under Src\UDKBase. The gametype for Epic Citadel is CastleGame, in the same directory. All UT3 stuff is in the folder UTGame.
  • InscothenInscothen Posts: 277
    Art3mis
    there is a book called 'unreal development kit game programming with unrealscript' beginners guide.

i bought the kindle version for around $15 over a year ago it helped me out. If you don't have kindle or tablet you can always read it on your computer.
  • spire8989spire8989 Posts: 337
    Hiro Protagonist
    Inscothen wrote:
    there is a book called 'unreal development kit game programming with unrealscript' beginners guide.

i bought the kindle version for around $15 over a year ago it helped me out. If you don't have kindle or tablet you can always read it on your computer.

Yes! This book is amazing. Its the one I used to get started with unrealscript. Highly recommend!
  • I'm new to UDK myself. Not by any means a programmer- but I really like what I see. What seems to get me overwhelmed is needing to learn 3D Studio Max / CAT / Motion Builder to make characters. Right now I can model 3D meshes in Lightwave and even export them to ASE, but there is a better workflow using FBX. I probably will have to do extensive reading to get to the point of making really cool interactive characters and avatars.
  • blito3blito3 Posts: 85
    after not using the unreal engine since ut3 and the previous versions including the original UT....just getting back into the swing of things....built a couple of test levels....the more you build the better you get. so build test levels to tryout certain aspects instead of trying to build the level you want in one go. once you've got the level editor figured out, then you can confidently build a level without getting frustrated....so far I am enjoying it...but I need my oculus to make sure all aspects to hight are ok....
  • blito3blito3 Posts: 85
    the problem porting over to the oculus..........hope it works........cause that would suck
  • Highly recommend using a fairly up to date book if you can...

I've been following quite a few of the online tutorials and many of them are out of date as UDK has regular iterations - you do end up learning more about how things work through your own investigations and you can collect a decent set of resources (good forums, websites etc) whilst trying to figure out what went wrong, but quite frustrating if you end up spending a lot of time learning about an obsolete method of achieving something or find out that particular tutorials no longer work since UDK changed.

(Still think UDK is awesome though!)
    Oculus Hut
    - A big fat slice of VR

A page I made about surfing the virtual reality web!
    Janus VR Room 45: [url=janus://zion.vrsites.com/1/45]janus://zion.vrsites.com/1/45[/url]
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj70pq7hA26fvLv832NmboA
    A little UE4 experience: Virtual Bard