cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to disable the health and safety warning for development purposes in 1.3?

wbsk
Protege
Is there a registry hack or similar since the option is no longer available in the settings panel it seems?
48 REPLIES 48

Constellation
Expert Protege

Unless you are on DK2, then I think it may be more frequent. Can I ask what headset you are using and which engine?

I'm using a DK2 and unfortunately it is very frequent. I have a Rift and I'm in the process of updating but as @husakm pointed the HSW is a real problem for professional use. I understand the Rift is a consumer product,  not a professional one and that those consumers need to be protected. That being said allowing devs and pros to disable the HSW would greatly appreciated.

AllRift
Honored Guest
husakm - +100000
Exactly the same for us : it is now impossible to add a 3D VR view in our professional software.
I add : the description to upgrade from 0.8 to 1.0 was ridiculous : the half of the changes to do were documented.
And now there are automatic upgrades of the driver.
That's funny. You are living in the moon !

For us it was a gadget so we removed it.

Constellation
Expert Protege
Another concern I have with the DK2 is burn-in. I try to hit the power switch on the DK2 or power down my computer completely but I often forget. I'm worried that I'll accidentally leave the HSW screen up for a few days and it will end up permanently etched into my screen.

wbsk
Protege
I really don't understand even for consumers why there can't be a check box setting to disable the HSW even for the US.  Surely prompting the user with a legal warning saying Oculus will not be held responsible and asking for an extra confirmation at that stage is enough to placate the legal implications?

I totally get that the US has insanely over eager legal system for example.  I also get that there hasn't been enough widespread studies or experience to understand the long term health implications of HMD device usage.  But surely if the user actively with full knowledge of responsibility chooses to disable it Oculus cannot be held accountable even in markets such as the US?

Should we get HSW warnings every time we plug in a mouse about RSI?  What about gamepads?  What about upcoming HDR monitors?  It gets a bit ridiculous really.

I think it makes perfect sense to keep it as default behaviour but it needs to be something that can be willingly turned off by the user.

Really Oculus could fix a lot of the issues people have right now with three check boxes in their settings panel:

1) Turn off HSW given legal warning and a second layer of confirmation
2) Turn off resource guzzling Unity based Oculus Home unless asked for by a store app, allowing the use of just an efficient hardware driver like you had previously
3) Turn off automatic updates

Constellation
Expert Protege

wbsk said:

Should we get HSW warnings every time we plug in a mouse about RSI? 

Good point. I'm reminded of my LG G3 phone which requires a click through every single time you want to raise the headphone volume past a certain threshold. I ended up rooting my phone to get rid of it. Given the recent DRM issues Oculus should anticipate and accept that people will find a way to get rid of the HSW. If they provide a legitimate, secure means to do so now they can control how & when that happens.

phuhque
Protege
What we are ALL waiting for are a set of drivers similar to pre CV1. Packaged and separate. It is quite disappointing to attempt to develop a stand alone product like was promised. You are familiar with it, the one with no Oculus Home attached? We have a complete halt to development until this occurs. I guess it's a good thing other options remain open...

8bit
Protege
I'm here to whine and complain like everyone else. The health warning thing sucks. Please help us.

Constellation
Expert Protege
I've migrated my project from DK2 to Rift and I'm still getting the HSW quite often during normal day to day development. I often don't wear the HMD during during short cycle, bug fixing type activity. With the DK2 it was pretty easily to tell when I was stuck at the HSW but with the Rift it's a bit more annoying because I have to hold my finger over the proximity sensor to see if the screens turn grey.

Anonymous
Not applicable
We had put a black adhesive tape on the proximity sensor. To do R&D with the sensor on is nightmare. To be able to disable the proximity sensor in setup is another wish I have ....

Vrally
Protege

wbsk said:

I also get that there hasn't been enough widespread studies or experience to understand the long term health implications of HMD device usage.

And we can't do any such studies when we have the HSW enabled. If you tried to perform any type of controlled study using the Rift it would be ruined by the HSW screen. Any text which states that you might feel a certain, way will most definitely impact the result. Telling people that they might feel sick, will result in more sickness.