cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stuttering when using CV1 the first time after the PC was on for some hours

Flausch
Explorer
I have a strange problem, when using my CV1 after the PC was already running for some time:
Inside Oculus Home and every other programm I get a very jumpy image and the sound is crackling and stuttering.

The device dialog inside Oculus Home shows a warning, that there is too much latency detected.

The only solution is to either reboot or disconnect and reconnect USB.

My specs:
Intel i7 6700k
MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
Asus Maximus Hero VIII
16 GB RAM
Windows 10

The problem existed also with my previous GTX 970.

When I start playing right after booting, the problem does not appear, even when using my rift for hours in Elite Dangerous or switching between different games.

I suspect the Maximus Hero's USB or some Asus programm that came with it to cause the problem. But that's just a guess.

Anyone with similar experiences?

17 REPLIES 17

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Try reinstalling your sound card drivers or onboard sound drivers. So this only happens if you don't start a game straight away? Because you said you can play Elite Dangerous for hours without a problem?

Flausch
Explorer
Yes, it only happens, when the computer is running for some hours and then I put on my rift.
But why do you suspect soundcard drivers? The rift is not using any soundcard, but it works as a standalone soundcard.

I just found a thread describing the same problem:
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/37589/rift-performance-slows-down-over-time-reboot-he...

tommet
Expert Protege
I have the exact same issue.  It's most likely a memory leak somewhere in the Home software or Rift drivers.  The stutter only shows up with the Rift, no other software has this issue.

tommet
Expert Protege
While it's kludgy, I just reboot before playing if I see stutter.  With windows 10 and an ssd, that takes about 10 seconds.

Flausch
Explorer
My solution is even faster: close Oculus Home, disconnect and reconnect USB and you're done.

But I'd still prefer a real bugfix for that.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Flausch said:

Yes, it only happens, when the computer is running for some hours and then I put on my rift.
But why do you suspect soundcard drivers? The rift is not using any soundcard, but it works as a standalone soundcard.

I just found a thread describing the same problem:
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/37589/rift-performance-slows-down-over-time-reboot-he...

Because I used to get this when I had issues with sound drivers on my Pc. I did hear that something is bugged with the Graphics cards and Oculus Home though, but it's mainly to do with AMD cards. I saw a post about it on DCS World forums. Maybe it's to do with the sound drivers the Oculus uses, but as soon as you mentioned crackling that's what I used to get and it was driver related. I think it's something only Oculus can fix.

Bavinck1331
Protege
Not sure it will help but I have the same motherboard as you and had to uninstall aisuite to get rid of this problem. Never had the issue since.
Doesn't solve it for everyone though

tommet
Expert Protege
Still get this issue.  I'm running a z170 pro gaming MB, 32 gb ram, with an Asus Strix 970.  I have aisuite, but it's not running.  (I will try uninstalling this just in case.)  

tommet
Expert Protege
I do note that there are new USB drivers (ASM1142 Driver V1.16.33.1) that are stated to "Improve USB device compatibility, eg. Oculus VR."  gonna try those as well.
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?