cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Process for Designing UI in VR

zeypher
Explorer
Hi all,

I'm an interaction designer just getting started in VR. As with a lot of designers working on web or mobile apps we start in a flat 2D world of Photoshop and/or Sketch 3. I'm about to design an experience similar to VRSE or Jaunt VR for the Gear VR and wondering what the best way to design mock-ups is. Should I work in Photoshop/Sketch 3 or jump straight into something like Unity and design mock-ups in a VR environment?

Thanks!
8 REPLIES 8

zylick
Protege
I watched a video a while back that explained what you should be thinking about when you program VR Operation Systems. I think that might be a good place to start for you.

Here is the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id86HeV-Vb8

zeypher
Explorer
Thanks @zylick 

That video is quite interesting. Not exactly specific on workflow but a good overall look at UI/UX. If anyone is interested, the advice I could find was to start designing mocks in Photoshop > export assets > Unity.

trevorchico
Explorer
I would jump straight into Unity and purchase a VR UI kit(currently they are pretty weak).

OR

You could also start with the UI that unity provides in the VR Samples complete project, which is pretty flashy.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I do a combination of regular photoshop/illustrator mockups and in app greyboxing for scale. Traditional methods are great for determining workflow and look/feel, while grayboxing is a good way to figure out scale, position, etc. 

This works really well, because you can often cut out the traditional 2d assets, and apply them to planes in your VR environment, giving you a way to see what it will actually look like and whether it will actually work at whatever scale/depth.

zeypher
Explorer
Thanks @VicariousAlex, could you explain 'greyboxing' a little bit? I'm assuming that means just using 3D objects as placeholders for the interface, the same ones which you'll apply the 2d assets to?

Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

zeypher said:

Thanks @VicariousAlex, could you explain 'greyboxing' a little bit? I'm assuming that means just using 3D objects as placeholders for the interface, the same ones which you'll apply the 2d assets to?

Thanks!

@zeypher here's an example of a really quick greybox at ~ 37 min.. https://youtu.be/XjnHr_6WSqo?t=2263

zeypher
Explorer
@VicariousAlex - this is very helpful, thank you! Kind of a long shot as I can't find anything using Google, but would you happen to know of any sources for Gear VR UI templates for Photoshop or Illustrator?

Anonymous
Not applicable
@zeypher I don't really have any templates. I can't imagine there'd be a standard since representation is so particular to the type of experience you're making.