cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Test Feedback - Graphics Test

ProfessorTroy
Adventurer
Hey

I got the feedback that my app doesn't run at a consistant 60fps and I'm a bit confused by it. I recorded my game-play for awhile and didn't catch any drops in FPS below 60fps.  Are the submission folks testing FPS differently from how we're doing it?

Here's my video showing it in headset using an S7 - which the feedback said it didn't maintain 60fps :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcSAo4n5duM

Am I missing something?

Troy
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

delphinius81
Rising Star
Check out this blog post: https://developer.oculus.com/blog/squeezing-performance-out-of-your-unity-gear-vr-game-continued/

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

cybereality
Grand Champion
This sounds like a mobile app, so I'll move to the mobile dev section. Did the email you receive mention any particular part that was choppy? Because it's possible it's running at 60fps for most of the time, but even one intensive scene or level could cause it to fail.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

delphinius81
Rising Star
Have you tried doing a wireless adb logcat of the game running to observe the frame rate statistics displayed there? Maybe there is a slight drop somewhere that isn't picked up in the GUI FPS counter you are using. Or maybe they made a mistake about which device type had the FPS issue.

ProfessorTroy
Adventurer
Doh, I just noticed I posted twice in PC Development.  Thought I was in the right sub-section when I did - thanks for moving it @cybereality

No mention of what part of the game that was choppy. I've been doing optimization passes and have been in-game for over 40 minutes at a time. 

ProfessorTroy
Adventurer
@delphinius81  - they marked all devices as failed. 

Where in the logcat would I be looking for FPS reports? That's a new place to look for me.

delphinius81
Rising Star
Check out this blog post: https://developer.oculus.com/blog/squeezing-performance-out-of-your-unity-gear-vr-game-continued/

galopin
Heroic Explorer
@cybereality It is good that you move things around, but the forum does not care, the thread is still list in the pcdev category :disappointed:

ProfessorTroy
Adventurer
@delphinius81  - thanks!
I'll check out that blog post and see if there's a drop I'm not aware of, that the on-screen FPS counter isn't catching.

I just hope they aren't referring to the moment when you start a new lobby. Binding to the network address will always cause a small delay no matter which phone you're on.  Anyway to get them to ignore that?

cybereality
Grand Champion
@galopin It's because I left a redirect after the move, so the OP didn't think I deleted the thread. But now that everyone knows, I went ahead and removed the redirect.

@ProfessorTroy If there are parts of your game that you know cause showdown, either fade to black before making the call, or see if there is a way to perform the function in a non-blocking way.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

ProfessorTroy
Adventurer
So the primary problem appears to be the Lobby/Online matchmaking start up. No way around it, the calls to start up the networking library always invokes a 1 frame hit where it'll drop below 60fps.

The only work around I can think of is putting that call at the beginning of a scene, so the fade to black is still present.  However, if the submissions team is checks FPS loss by profiler or some other means, no matter what, they're going to see that drop.

Not a good thing. 😕