cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[RELEASE] EpicDragon VR [DL link]

KominAaa
Honored Guest
Hi everybody!

We are done working on this for now, we had a great time and Im very glad to have the time test all your games now!

EpicDragon VR puts the player on the back of a dragon, soaring the skies of a strange fantasy world. The overall design is inspired by the art of epic 70's fantasy painters Roger Dean and Rodney Matthews.

The objective is to fly around collecting Eggs of Light to fight the Gods of Darkness and their oncoming eclipse devouring the sun. Pick the special Sacred Eggs to enter combo mode and rack up huge combos!

Get the windows build here! (18mb)
Get the latest updates on the game's facebook page!

We designed the game around a very instinctive and calibrated head only control scheme, using head tracking for both looking around and flying the dragon. It feels surprisingly safe in terms of motion sickness as you don't feel any disconnection between what your head does and what the gamepad makes you do. Im very interested to hear about your experiences on that.

We also chose to go for an arcade inspired gameplay with a short gameloop and a good learning curve so you're encouraged to beat the highscores.

The game is running on our own engine, already powering Shufflepuck Cantina that you can try here. Due to our optimizations and very lean tech, it should run at a good framerate on every computer.

If you're interested in the game's developpement process you can read the whole thread, there are some developpement shots and a lot of day by day progress videos.

Latest Changelog:
- New scoring system and playtime set to 90 seconds

Theres an .ini file in the game's directory, you can alter some properties there.
- [music] 0/1 Activates/Deactivates music

- [chromaticAberrationCorrection] 0/1 Color correction in Oculus' distortion Shader.

- [upscaleToHD] 0/1 Upscales to 1920x1200 (cheap AA en dev kits) (Thanks a lot Dexter111!)

- In extended display, the game will launch on the Oculus automatically.

- [fullscreen] = 1/0 = starts in fullscreen or windowed mode

- [interpupillaryDistanceMilliMeters] = 64.0 mm = sets the interpupillary distance in millimeters (please use the Oculus Rift Configuration Utility to measure your comfort distance)

-- Original post --

Seeing all the great [WIPs] around here I figured we would post some work of our jam entry here, EpicDragon VR.

We are very lucky to be a 6 people team from Agharta Studio and Black Muffin and we chose to go for something polished both graphically and control wise.

Here are some concepts we have been working on since Aug, 2nd.

Day/TotalEclipse Skies
DayNightColorboards.jpg

Dragon and tribal rider
RiderConcepts.jpg

Bad Moon Sketch
BadMoonConcepts.jpg

Here is some gameplay:

I will try to keep that thread updated as much as I can as the Jam progresses!

Thank you and good luck to all jammers!
Hi! Check our VRJam2015 entry SteamCrew VR, Our VR Game Shufflepuck Cantina Deluxe VR and our VRJam2013 entry EpicDragon VR! Follow us on Facebook!
99 REPLIES 99

KominAaa
Honored Guest
Aurélien worked on head movements, it feels a lot cooler now and it's not even giving motion sickness !
A few tweaks and we'll be good with movements!

Working on getting the dragon done and starting with textures today 🙂

DragonModel02.jpg
Hi! Check our VRJam2015 entry SteamCrew VR, Our VR Game Shufflepuck Cantina Deluxe VR and our VRJam2013 entry EpicDragon VR! Follow us on Facebook!

Cheshyr
Honored Guest
I will admit, this is one of my favorite projects to result from the VRJam so far.

Arowx
Explorer
Looks amazing, great work, if you can get a similar painted look in game I think it would be amazing, good luck!

shanecolbert
Explorer
mmm I wish had team members, solo work and managing fulltime work is painful lol
looks great.

KominAaa
Honored Guest
"shanecolbert" wrote:
mmm I wish had team members, solo work and managing fulltime work is painful lol
looks great.

I know man, I'm so glad we have a little time to work on the Jam.

On to texturing!
DragonModel03.jpg

wcoastsands
Honored Guest
Wow! Really like this idea. Reminds me of watching the Never Ending Story when I was a kid, and that feeling that sweeps over you when Atreyu and the luck dragon soar through the clouds. And to that soundtrack! I bet every kid in the '80s wanted to be Atreyu at that point in the movie. Looks like we'll finally get the chance with this one 😄

The artwork you've come up with is amazing, and the gameplay looks super smooth. You guys seeing any latency with the Rift when banking through turns? Also, what engine are you guys using? Unity? UDK? In-house?

Serk
Explorer
I want to play this so much 😮

Dragon riding was one of the ideas I considered, but discarded because I found it too difficult for a solo project. Best of lucks for you!

centurionwithat
Honored Guest
This is shaping up to be epic.

Aurélien worked on head movements, it feels a lot cooler now and it's not even giving motion sickness !

Instant win if you achieve this. What have you done to eliminate motion sickness? I experience all flying demos as vomit simulators. I really hope you pull this off! It's the biggest deal breaker in my mind to take VR to the masses.

roguebot
Explorer
The artwork is great and so far the gameplay looks just as good. I watched the demos on my rift and it feels very natural and fluid.
My Demos Titan Defender: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=3505 vrBubbles: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=4066 Flight 0.1: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4330

KominAaa
Honored Guest
Some more work from Aurélien 🙂

Next version will likely feature the final dragon model textured by Sandra, that I'm rigging and animating at the moment!
Also the new mountains made by Adrien and Matthieu.

But for now its week-end time!