cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to disable the health and safety warning for development purposes in 1.3?

wbsk
Protege
Is there a registry hack or similar since the option is no longer available in the settings panel it seems?
48 REPLIES 48

lamour42
Expert Protege

JeffBail said:

I've migrated my project from DK2 to Rift and I'm still getting the HSW quite often during normal day to day development. I often don't wear the HMD during during short cycle, bug fixing type activity. With the DK2 it was pretty easily to tell when I was stuck at the HSW but with the Rift it's a bit more annoying because I have to hold my finger over the proximity sensor to see if the screens turn grey.

Fortunately the Rift positional tracking works even if the HSW is showing in the HMD. So for short dev cycle where I don't put on the Rift I can do whatever I want with manually positioning the Rift and checking the mirror image. Isn't that also possible for you?

Constellation
Expert Protege
I updated to Unity 5.4.0b21 and it seems to run and respond to head tracking even when it wants to show the HSW. My main problem is really that I get the HSW all the time; at least 5 or more times a day. I have another system with a another Rift that is not primarily used for development and I get the HSW there fairly often as well so I don't think there's anything wrong with my machine. I'm reminded of those car navigation systems which refuse to give you directions until you've acknowledged the warning about how the manufacturer is not liable if it tells you to drive down some train tracks and you get hit by a train or something. Solid advice but ultimately it does little to protect the manufacturer from liability and it's just super annoying to the driver.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I also am having a problem where sometimes the warning screen renders incorrectly and I can't see the button.  What I see is a chunk of the scene clipped against a camera frustum pointing in some random direction and black everywhere else.  Head tracking works but the content doesn't update and I can't see the button.  So I can't get through it to our application at all until I reboot or something (it stops doing this behavior at some point). 

lXg99
Explorer
I'll bump this thread. I am doing an installation where people can choose any of 4 Rifts to enjoy the experience. So the app has to run all day. It seems that when the HMD is not used for 10-20 minutes the timer for the health and safety warning kicks in and crashes the running app.

So does this mean that a CV1 is officially not able to run an app all day autonomously? This would be a MAJOR showstopper for us, two weeks before the exhibition open officially. While i am reading many people asking about the health and security scene i have never read any official response from Oculus.

I don't want to get rid of it per se, i just don't want it to appear while my app is running and the HMD is not used. Any help appreciated.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Sorry, the Health and Safety warning cannot be disabled. However, it should not crash the running app. If it is doing that, there is a bug somewhere.

galopin
Heroic Explorer
I agree as a user, i would love to disable that piece of crap ( sorry, could not resist ), but as a developer, there is no reason to not handle error messages from ovr_submitFrame, unless you like to crash 🙂

lXg99
Explorer
The point is not so much that i want to disable it, my question was more what to do about these crashes/spherical environment disappears while only a frozen image of the last frame is seen on a plane, Oculus waiting cursor in the image... if there is help in the comment about ovr_submitFrame i may be too noob to see it.

Is it possible to force the HSW to be shown everytime the HMD is being used? Can i call it from out of Unity?

cybereality
Grand Champion
If you logout and login to the Oculus app, that may trigger the HSW to appear again. I'd also try opening the Universal Menu (clicking the Xbox button on the controller) and see if you app can recover from that.

jordibellprat
Explorer

We have eight oculus systems in a public exhibition. Since we use the new Rift, the HSW has to be fulfilled every time every Oculus is rebooted.
This is time-consuming and unacceptable.
Also because in Switzerland not everyone understands English!
When can we expect help from oculus?

flashASA
Honored Guest
Same HSW problem on device used at non-english language museum. If we can't turn off HSW, we HAVE to can change text language. Oculus, how long you do NOT hear your clients?