cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[RELEASE] EpicDragon VR [DL link]

KominAaa
Honored Guest
Hi everybody!

We are done working on this for now, we had a great time and Im very glad to have the time test all your games now!

EpicDragon VR puts the player on the back of a dragon, soaring the skies of a strange fantasy world. The overall design is inspired by the art of epic 70's fantasy painters Roger Dean and Rodney Matthews.

The objective is to fly around collecting Eggs of Light to fight the Gods of Darkness and their oncoming eclipse devouring the sun. Pick the special Sacred Eggs to enter combo mode and rack up huge combos!

Get the windows build here! (18mb)
Get the latest updates on the game's facebook page!

We designed the game around a very instinctive and calibrated head only control scheme, using head tracking for both looking around and flying the dragon. It feels surprisingly safe in terms of motion sickness as you don't feel any disconnection between what your head does and what the gamepad makes you do. Im very interested to hear about your experiences on that.

We also chose to go for an arcade inspired gameplay with a short gameloop and a good learning curve so you're encouraged to beat the highscores.

The game is running on our own engine, already powering Shufflepuck Cantina that you can try here. Due to our optimizations and very lean tech, it should run at a good framerate on every computer.

If you're interested in the game's developpement process you can read the whole thread, there are some developpement shots and a lot of day by day progress videos.

Latest Changelog:
- New scoring system and playtime set to 90 seconds

Theres an .ini file in the game's directory, you can alter some properties there.
- [music] 0/1 Activates/Deactivates music

- [chromaticAberrationCorrection] 0/1 Color correction in Oculus' distortion Shader.

- [upscaleToHD] 0/1 Upscales to 1920x1200 (cheap AA en dev kits) (Thanks a lot Dexter111!)

- In extended display, the game will launch on the Oculus automatically.

- [fullscreen] = 1/0 = starts in fullscreen or windowed mode

- [interpupillaryDistanceMilliMeters] = 64.0 mm = sets the interpupillary distance in millimeters (please use the Oculus Rift Configuration Utility to measure your comfort distance)

-- Original post --

Seeing all the great [WIPs] around here I figured we would post some work of our jam entry here, EpicDragon VR.

We are very lucky to be a 6 people team from Agharta Studio and Black Muffin and we chose to go for something polished both graphically and control wise.

Here are some concepts we have been working on since Aug, 2nd.

Day/TotalEclipse Skies
DayNightColorboards.jpg

Dragon and tribal rider
RiderConcepts.jpg

Bad Moon Sketch
BadMoonConcepts.jpg

Here is some gameplay:

I will try to keep that thread updated as much as I can as the Jam progresses!

Thank you and good luck to all jammers!
Hi! Check our VRJam2015 entry SteamCrew VR, Our VR Game Shufflepuck Cantina Deluxe VR and our VRJam2013 entry EpicDragon VR! Follow us on Facebook!
99 REPLIES 99

fonefen
Honored Guest
Impressive concepts of the best projects I've seen :ugeek:

nateight
Honored Guest
"centurionwithatophat" wrote:
What have you done to eliminate motion sickness?

They are using the head tracker as the only form of control - go play Proton Pulse for an hour and compare it to any other experience where you use any other input device to move your view around. Mismatched vestibular cues effectively don't exist when mice and thumbsticks aren't involved (though we'll have to see how dragon-back barrel rolls feel :lol:). Many games are taking this approach, and it will be a great boon to have a wide range of experiences that won't quickly lead first-timers to simulator sickness. The challenge, of course, is to make a game based around mechanics this necessarily simple compelling for more than five minutes.

DeadlyJoe
Rising Star
That looks extremely promising guys. Can't wait to see it with the final assets! :!:

MattOstgard
Explorer
Looks like this team is making some great progress! Loving the character, dragon, and environment design. Also nice to see some Blender art. I've been meaning to train up on it myself soon. Sounds like this game will be really fun!

Anonymous
Not applicable
WOW! Thanks all I can say. Great work so far! :shock:

Birchmountain
Honored Guest
I like that you put a lot of focus on the controls as i think that is the most important part. Interesting choice with the head only controls, looking forward to see how that turns out. And to give some feedback on what you've shown us so far, a problem i've noticed with the model is that the player is positioned in front of the wings which makes it hard to get a sense of the dragons width. Of course i can't know for sure but that's the feeling i get looking at the demos and the pictures.

Great job, keep it up and give us a playable demo as soon as possible so we can help you polish this gem until it shines!
Oculus Vr Jam, Level Designer VR: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4294

nymb
Explorer
Nice work guys, concept is great!

KominAaa
Honored Guest

Dev is going well, Aurélien put a new build up featuring the dragon and its anims, a new rock model with random pickable objects spawning all over.

We're finishing some textures right now, modelling the last assets and tweaking the movements.

Controls feels great, maybe we'll release an alpha for you guys to test!
Hi! Check our VRJam2015 entry SteamCrew VR, Our VR Game Shufflepuck Cantina Deluxe VR and our VRJam2013 entry EpicDragon VR! Follow us on Facebook!

Dusel
Honored Guest
will there be a way to look around on the dragon? Like toggling turning-by-looking and free lookaround? Would love to look at the wings etc while still flying in the same direction!

KominAaa
Honored Guest
"dusel" wrote:
will there be a way to look around on the dragon? Like toggling turning-by-looking and free lookaround? Would love to look at the wings etc while still flying in the same direction!

Yes you will be able to without using any freelook key, our main goal is to get that right. You can do it at the moment but it still needs a little tweaking to make it feel natural 🙂