New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

UPDATE - Tested room scale with Touch and two sensors

Mr.WildeMr.Wilde Posts: 186
Art3mis
edited October 2016 in General
I was finally successful in finding a set of cable extension for my Rift, so I set up my living room for a full room scale VR experience using two sensors, to test out the tracking of the HMD and the Touch controllers.
I placed my sensors about 2 meters apart (6.5 ft) and since Oculus "Guardian" system is not available yet, I set up Steam VR Chaperone instead.
I've got some initial trouble in setting up Steam VR, at first the Touch controller was behaving strangely, but the second time I was successful.

I've played Valve's The Lab for about an hour, and it was mostly fine, but I noticed that when facing completely opposite to the sensors, AS EXPECTED the Touch controllers tracking was quite poor, my body was often occluding the sensors and I find myself to raise my hands in order for the sensor to pick up the tracking again (see picture below).

The Headset had no problems, perfect tracking in every direction, even far away from the sensor. I could sit on my couch on the opposite side with no problems at all.

On a side note, I've got quite few problems while playing The Lab. Sensors got disconnected a couple of times, The Headset got disconnected once, and I've got a couple of crashes. :| Please note I have enabled ASW in my registry, I don't know if this might be the cause, since I had no problem whatsoever while playing games from Oculus Home. It might have been a coincidence though, I need to do more testing.

Btw, sitting in the virtual couch in BigScreen while sitting on my real couch was a really cool experience! :D

tl:dr: Tested room scale with Touch and two sensors. If facing in the opposite direction of the sensors, Touch have poor tracking. No problems with the headset.

Comments

• JakemanOculusJakemanOculus Posts: 497
    Trinity
    yes, if the cameras don't have line of sight then they can't track.
  • TwoHedWlfTwoHedWlf Posts: 2,033 Poster of the Week
    Not surprising that you'd have tracking issues when you face directly away form the sensors, it's the 180° setup.  For only forward facing.   Move the NE sensor down to the SE section and you should have good 360° tracking.
  • Mr.WildeMr.Wilde Posts: 186
    Art3mis
    edited October 2016
    TwoHedWlf said:
    Not surprising that you'd have tracking issues when you face directly away form the sensors, it's the 180° setup.  For only forward facing.   Move the NE sensor down to the SE section and you should have good 360° tracking.
    Yes, that's a good idea. :) But I will still have tracking issues when facing SW.
  • TwoHedWlfTwoHedWlf Posts: 2,033 Poster of the Week
    Mr.Wilde said:
    TwoHedWlf said:
    Yes, that's a good idea. :) But I will still have tracking issues when facing SW.
    Maybe a little, but that should be in the "Occasional tracking issues" category, because facing south west both cameras should still be able to see the touch controllers from the side
    Art3mis
    I'll try this setup next time. :)
    I want to clarify that this was a test to see how good the 180 degrees setup was, I KNOW it's not ideal for 360 degrees. Some people on reddit are ENRAGED because of this post... :|
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 10,801 Power Poster
    Well if you replace the word "sensor" with "mother" then you kinda did just blast moms to hell.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • Comic_Book_GuyComic_Book_Guy Posts: 1,076 Poster of the Week
    edited October 2016
    Offended? No. I'm wondering why you bothered with the test and this post! Like... " If facing in the opposite direction of the sensors, Touch have poor tracking. "....ya, and a bear poops in the woods too.
  • MradrMradr Posts: 2,399 Poster of the Week
    LMAO wow angry people over a test - Wilde - don't get upset them with - just provide the information in the first post as needed. It should stop most of the weird posters coming in here. 
    Art3mis
    edited October 2016
    Offended? No. I'm wondering why you bothered with the test and this post! Like... " If facing in the opposite direction of the sensors, Touch have poor tracking. "....ya, and a bear poops in the woods too.
    Uh... Because I wanted to see FOR MYSELF how good/bad the tracking was in a non-ideal setup. Sometimes the reality of facts is different from expectations, but it wasn't in this case.
    People do these tests all the time, do you want me to kill myself?
  • MradrMradr Posts: 2,399 Poster of the Week
    edited October 2016
    Mr.Wilde said:
    Uh... Because I wanted to see FOR MYSELF how good/bad the tracking was in a non-ideal setup. People do these tests all the time, do you want me to kill myself?
    Just ignore it and keep up with the good work!!! I like to see what else you come up with!!! This is pretty neat to get a first impression test :) Plus I like the images - they're pretty good in knowing how it will work out.

More or less they're just reacting to the information because that's what we already know - so just ignore some of the common "faceplams" for now:) In your first post just say - "It's as we thought, but for testing reasons and this cool diagram I just wanted to test it for myself to see how it'll look, enjoy the results even if they're silly to some! :D"
    Art3mis
    Mradr said:
    Just ignore it and keep up with the good work!!! I like to see what else you come up with!!! This is pretty neat to get a first impression test :) Plus I like the images - they're pretty good in knowing how it will work out.
    Thanks, next I will try the setup that @TwoHedWlf has suggested and I will post the result. :)
  • FlausnFlausn Posts: 186
    Art3mis
    do it just doooo it ;)
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 10,801 Power Poster
    edited October 2016
    Mr.Wilde said:
    Uh... Because I wanted to see FOR MYSELF how good/bad the tracking was in a non-ideal setup. Sometimes the reality of facts is different from expectations, but it wasn't in this case.
    People do these tests all the time, do you want me to kill myself?
    Except that your test was set up to fail a 360 degree test from the beginning, and you presented it specifically stating that people "need the 3rd sensor for successful 360 room-scale."

Everything you said was misleading, and a gross misrepresentation of facts. People aren't upset as though you insulted their mothers or bashed a baby seal... people are upset because you treated idiocy like a disease and purposely intended to infect others.

To put it bluntly.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • BookooBookoo Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    Am I the only one who is afraid for that TV? I could see myself punching that.

As you mentioned, it was expected that roomscale wouldn't operate correctly with 2 cameras. Where exactly do you have the cameras placed? Do you have them on the ceiling, high up on the wall or just on a dresser of some sort?

Also do you plan to test the cameras in opposite corners? I would be interested to hear about the tracking volume and any tracking issues. They say 2 cameras is good enough for 360 tracking and tracking volume of a single camera is good, so I would imagine it would be good enough for a majority of play spaces.
    Art3mis
    edited October 2016
    Bookoo said:
    Am I the only one who is afraid for that TV? I could see myself punching that.

As you mentioned, it was expected that roomscale wouldn't operate correctly with 2 cameras. Where exactly do you have the cameras placed? Do you have them on the ceiling, high up on the wall or just on a dresser of some sort?

Also do you plan to test the cameras in opposite corners? I would be interested to hear about the tracking volume and any tracking issues. They say 2 cameras is good enough for 360 tracking and tracking volume of a single camera is good, so I would imagine it would be good enough for a majority of play spaces.
    Steam VR's Chaperone system (and soon Oculus Guardian) are made to avoid collisions while moving in VR. A grid that represents the limit of your playable area will appear when you go too close the the borders, so no worries for the TV. :)

For the sensors, I'm using two of these: https://www.amazon.com/BT-150-Lightweight-Compact-Adjustable/dp/B00SIL5O36/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1476589295&sr=8-1&keywords=bosch+bt150
    They are very robust and stable, and I can easily move them around. I found them at $20 each, very good price.

As I mentioned above, I will test the opposite corners solution next time, hopefully tonight. :)
  • BookooBookoo Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    Mr.Wilde said:
    Steam VR's Chaperone system (and soon Oculus Guardian) are made to avoid collisions while moving in VR. A grid that represents the limit of your playable area will appear when you go too close the the borders, so no worries for the TV. :)

I have a Vive as well however that hasn't stopped me from punching my wall.   :( :| :# 

Glad to hear you are testing the other method, looking forward to reading the results.
    Art3mis
    edited October 2016
    Zoomie said:
    My question from your diagram was whether the bad tracking region was because you were too far from the sensors, or because you occluded the Touch controllers with your body.  The first result would be somewhat significant, especially since you said the HMD never had any real issues.  

If the Touch controllers were simply losing tracking because you blocked LOS, I agree with Zenbane that you weren't really testing anything we didn't already know.  
    Line of sight tracking requires line of sight.  Confirmed.  No shit.

Since you have an extension, are you able to do an opposing corners test?  That would be much more useful to many of us.  Even if you can only support a smaller play area, the opposing camera setup is the one everyone seems most concerned about Rift being unable to support without 3 cameras.
    I wanted to test both occlusion and distance. The poor tracking occurs only when the controllers are occluded, the distance seems fine, when sit on my couch (the one on the bottom in the picture), facing the sensors, I had no problems.

I will do the opposite corner test ASAP, hopefully tonight.
  • ZoomieZoomie Posts: 1,777 Valuable Player
    Awesome, thanks.  
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C Clarke
  • Comic_Book_GuyComic_Book_Guy Posts: 1,076 Poster of the Week
    edited October 2016
    ugh. removed.
  • phoenixdigitalphoenixdigital Posts: 131
    Art3mis
    edited October 2016
    Nice thanks for that. Good to see both configs tested in the same space.

The next big test will be does Oculus content made for stereo config work in this diagonal mode.

We will find out in about 7 weeks.

CPU: i5 6600K (not overclocked), GPU: EVGA GTX980Ti (not overclocked), motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, USB Card 1: Inatek 7 Port, USB Card 2: Inatek 4 Port
    Art3mis
    edited October 2016
    Nice thanks for that. Good to see both configs tested in the same space.

The next big test will be does Oculus content made for stereo config work in this diagonal mode.

We will find out in about 7 weeks.

I just tried Cosmic Trip (Oculus Early access private demo) and Bullet Train, both worked flawlessly.
  • charlton_3393charlton_3393 Posts: 272
    Nexus 6
    Its good to see that for most cases the diagonal setup of just 2 sensors will be more than adequite, standing only 360 will be great, moving to the full extremities of the room in roomscale mode might cause a few little hiccups as expected but again it should be fine for most people...

Also you will never ever get 100% tracking even if u had 100 cameras, for example if you shoved the touch controllers under your armpits or pushed them into your chest and curled into a ball on the floor, when your hands can still be tracked when doing that then i will be impressed! Hahaha :tongue:
    Specs:
    - Windows 10 Pro x64 OS
    - ASRock H87 Performance Motherboard
    - Intel Core I7 4770 @ 3.40GHz Haswell Processor
    - Reference Radeon RX 480 GPU
    - 32GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 RAM
  • Hornet_F4CHornet_F4C Posts: 213
    Nexus 6
    Folks should be more concerned about the mentioned disconnections, instead of flaming OP for not having used an opposed sensor setup...