cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[WIP] Oculus Maximus

8bit
Protege
The Ultimate Gladiator Experience
Grab your weapons, enter the coliseum, and battle to the death.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Demo is available through our release thread
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=3943
---------------------------------------------------------------

It’s simple but not easy
In this game you will fight other gladiators with a sword and shield in hand to hand combat in the coliseum.
The “not easy” part of this project will be the physics. We want all sword and shield play to be driven by physics to get realistic swings, clangs, hits and parries. We also want realistic, nicely polished assets so this will be a challenge for our artist.

Features planned for this demo
The jam is quite limited in time so we have limited our feature scope to just a few things.
- Physics based sword swings and blocks
- AI characters that respond properly to physics from attacks
- Blood particles and decals
- Limb severing
- AI opponents with different weapons

Progress Screenshots
Here are some shots of what we have thus far.

Gladiator Model 1st Pass
He is pretty awesome but James is almost done with his second version which is even awesomer.

1st Person View with Sword and Shield
The sword and shield are not perfectly lined up but it is still fun to swing your arms around and look at yourself in the Oculus.

Don’t Lose Your Head!
It’s just funny to look at our 1st person model from an outside camera. We have to cut off the head to put the camera there during gameplay. Please excuse all of our debug drawing (the colored lines) that’s just for development and will not be there when we are done.

Attack!
Another cool screenshot of our gladiator raising his hand to make a strike.

Meet the team
We are three seasoned game developers who are totally psyched about the opportunities that virtual reality has brought to the gaming world. We would love to bring gaming to the next level using this new medium that Palmer, Carmack and many other have brought us. Below is a quick description of each member on our team.

Rick (8bit) – Programmer handling various tasks like gameplay, AI, asset handling and other project management things
    Eugene (Eelkin2000) – Lead Programmer handling physics, graphics, characters and lots of other hard stuff
    James (Nymb) – Lead Artist creating the gladiators, weapons, coliseum and almost any other content we need. James is also head of design for campaign mode (that will be post vrjam, of course).

As we make progress, we will keep y’all posted. We hope you are as excited about the game as we are.

Good luck Jammers!
25 REPLIES 25

Birchmountain
Honored Guest
Imagine fighting in the Colosseum in front of 50 000 spectators. You've just defeated your foe and he's down on his knees in front of you. You look up towards the caesar, waiting for his judgement. He gives a thumbs down and with a single blow you behead your opponent!

This game has great potential, good luck!
Oculus Vr Jam, Level Designer VR: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4294

Anonymous
Not applicable
The sword and shield are not perfectly lined up but it is still fun to swing your arms around and look at yourself in the Oculus.

As far as I'm aware you're not allowed to use the Hydra, or any other peripheral other than the Oculus and Gamepad/Keyboard. Is the arm swinging done via button presses?

8bit
Protege
@birchmountian
You hit the nail on the head. That is exactly the type of experience we would like to create!

@gobo
For the fans, ourselves included, we decided that we will design the game around hydra even at the risk of not doing as well in the competition. It just felt too good to give up once we got the hydra driving our characters arms and seeing it all in the Rift, especially with our new gladiator model (not yet shown here). By the end of the jam we will add mouse control for the sword arm but we highly recommend you use hydra when you try it. At the end of the jam we will post our demo for everyone to play.

So the short answer is, we will use the mouse to swing your sword arm but you are free to try the hydra version which we oh so highly recommend. 🙂

nymb
Explorer
Hey all,

I'm posting some w.i.p. shots of our gladiator and Colosseum I've been working on.

Lots to do!

8bit
Protege
Hello Jammers,

We are working hard and thought you might enjoy some pics and video updates.

The Coliseum

The Coliseum

Viewing Hands

Fighting Tests

MrGeddings
Explorer
im kinda sad your not allowed to use the hydra cuz this would seem perfect for that, maybe after the contest you can make a hydra version however.

xCROWNxCletus
Honored Guest
@MrGeddings: the game is designed around hydra - it's often worth to read what the designers write 😉

the game itself looks very promising and i can not wait to give it a try with the rift and hydra! good luck guys 😄

centurionwithat
Honored Guest
Very nice. I'd love to play this.

I considered doing a boxing game in a punch-out style. Glad I didn't this looks like a much better direction for the Oculus.

Tgaud
Honored Guest
Actually you'll have a lot of problem with realism.
(What happend if someone block your top-to-bottom sword-attack with his shield, but your real-life arm has continued his movment until being under your legs ?)

You have a paradox.

The answer is to never let the Ingame gameplay able to "block" your movements.

This can be achieve by the choice of the weapon.

a Whips, gun, flamethrower, nunchaku, bow are ok for example

And for a swordgame, the good choice is to take a "Soft/bendable" sword.
So even if they block it with their shield, the sword would just bend on it without blocking the ingame movment.
And you would be able to be in perfect synchronicity with both virtual/Reallife Arm.

Every "Hard" weapon which can be stuck are problematic.

If you lose the synchronicity beetween your real and virtual arm, you'll lose your immersion, nothing worse.