cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyway to prevent the Oculus from going to sleep-mode/freeze-mode

Inx
Explorer
Hi!

We are currently using the Oculus rift on a exhibition, however.. 
we are experiencing some issues with our Unity-application from time to time freezes..

We noticed that the Oculus for some reason decides to freeze the last frame once you remove the HMD from the head, so we covered the light-sensor with a pice of tape. This works for now.. but I really dont think this is a solid way of doing it... so is there anyway to disable this "freeze-mode"?

We have also noticed that if the Oculus isnt used for a few minutes, the application also freezes on the last frame, we are currently not sure if this is caused by the Oculus rift or some other part of the system, but is there some sort of "idle-timer" kicking in when the oculus hasnt detected change in position/rotation for a while?.. if there is.. then is there a way to disable this?

Our goal is to be able to use the Oculus without any freezing for at least a few hours (at least 10h)

Regarding all the freezing.. Im not sure if this is a part of the Oculus runtime/"driver", or if its a part of Unitys implemenmtation of the runtime/SDK... but no matter... PLEASE consider changing this behavior.. it would be extremly much more helpful to simply give the developers and event to listen to and then take which ever action they prefer, then to "lock" your developers to do things the way Oculus thinks we want to use the hardware.. we are for this very reason now considering switching to the HTC Vive since it appears to be a more solid pice of software and hardware.

Is the freezing anything anyone else can relate to?
11 REPLIES 11

infectednl
Explorer
Any chance you want to share the code srowlands? I also need this for an exhibition. I get the idea but having difficulty writing a code since I'm not a programmer.

doustin
Honored Guest

vrdaveb said:

You can do this by enabling the Run In Background player swtting and checking the OVRManager.isUserPresent property in an Update function. If the value becomes false, you will need to set VR.VRsettings.enabled=false to resume rendering to the main monitor. Another option is to add a Camera just for the main monitor whose tarfet eye is None (Main Monitor). But that will cost performance when VR is active. The reason we stop rendering to the headset when you take it off is to prevent burn-in. Unfortunately there is no way to globally disable that behavior yet, but it would probably only be feasible as a user setting.

It doesnt work, the only thing that worked was using the Gear VR service and set it in developer mode but since last update it doesnt work anymore. This is essential for applications online as when go sleep it breaks the connection