cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Single pass stereo rendering is rendering too dark

jlink
Explorer
I'm integrating the Rift into our Vive project and I'm having trouble with our scenes looking too dark in the Rift. After some trial and error testing, I've found that this happens with single pass stereo rendering enabled. This is happening on Unity 5.4.2 and 5.5.0.

Obviously we would like to keep single pass stereo rendering enabled for performance reasons. Is this feature supported on the Rift? 
15 REPLIES 15

vrdaveb
Oculus Staff
Yes, single-pass stereo is supported on Rift. The brightness should be the same with or without it enabled. Can you click Help > Report a Bug... in the editor and then share the case number here? I haven't been able to reproduce this on my Win10 + 970 machine. Can you attach output_log.txt from a run with the issue or a project that reproduces it?

jlink
Explorer
I'm working on getting a reproducible scene that isn't our entire project (10+ GB), but in the mean time I've found that the darkness is only happening when running in the editor. When running from a build, the scene looks normal in the Rift. I also was able to test this on another machine (with different hardware) and reproduce the issue.

I'll post back a case number when I have a smaller project to submit a bug report for.

vrdaveb
Oculus Staff
The editor sometimes uses the wrong gamma space when switching build targets. Did you recently toggle linear lighting or switch between Android and Windows?

jlink
Explorer
I haven't switched build targets, but I did switch on and off a few different player settings like color space, stereo rendering method, VR SDKs, etc while testing. With that said, the issue occurred before doing any of that.

vrdaveb
Oculus Staff
Interesting. It may help to reimport assets or re-bake lighting. It would also help to click Help > Report a Bug... to let Unity know about the issue.

jlink
Explorer
I have both reimported assets (this happened when I updated to Unity 5.5.0) and rebaked lights. Unfortunately it didn't fix the issue.

I went ahead and submitted a bug report without a project attached. The case number is 859881. I was unable to create a simple scene in a new project that either reproduced the issue or showed it well enough to see it (ie I'm not sure if the new scene had the problem). Hopefully though the info I provided may help someone identify what's happening.

chipmeisterc
Honored Guest
Hi jlink,

I have been suffering the same problem. The scene looks fine in the editor but very dark in the oculus. After much trial and error I discovered the issue was due to having a canvas with Screen Space overlay enabled in my scene. Turning off any non world space canvases  when in VR seems to solve the darkness issue. I hope that helps!

jlink
Explorer

Hi jlink,

I have been suffering the same problem. The scene looks fine in the editor but very dark in the oculus. After much trial and error I discovered the issue was due to having a canvas with Screen Space overlay enabled in my scene. Turning off any non world space canvases  when in VR seems to solve the darkness issue. I hope that helps!

I replicated this on my end as well - thanks for replying. I'd prefer losing our screen space UI over single pass stereo when in editor if I have to choose. It would be good to get Oculus to respond confirming the bug on their end though.

chipmeisterc
Honored Guest
I suspect it may be a Unity issue - have raised it on their forums also 🙂