Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[UPDATE - v1.1] Alone

abetterbard
Honored Guest
Check out our website!

http://www.greenwoodgames.com

Here is a link to our website and facebook where you can find out more information about Alone and it's continued development in the near future.
Greenwood Games
Facebook

---------------------------------------------------
FOR THOSE HAVING TROUBLE OPENING THIS .ZIP!!!
Suggested advice that has worked:
Use 7zip, right click and extract.

DOWNLOAD: Download

If you have ANY issue downloading or playing Alone, please do hesitate to contact me for help!

A game by Bryan Cohen and Dan Wallace.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
New In Patch v1.1
Bug Fixes:
-Added some missing collision that caused players to go places they weren't supposed to
-Added sparkle effect to arrows to better illustrate the use of them
-Increased lighting in some dark areas to better aid progression
-Fixed various "spooky events" that were causing trouble

PLEASE READ INSTRUCTIONS:

Requires PC Gamepad, Oculus Rift and Headphones.

Use the left control stick to move your character.
Press the 'A' Button to interact with glowing yellow notes and to interact with yellow arrows (look for the sparkle).

Reading notes progress the story and the yellow arrows move you to the next location.

Use your Oculus Rift to look around while playing.

Thank you for taking the time to download! Enjoy!

Press:
Gamasutra

Tyler Hodder Playthrough!

Thank Tyler!

CymaticBruce Playthrough!
Twitch.tv Link
FROM 36:36 TO 55:55!

Thanks Bruce!

John Nonya Playthrough!

Thanks John!

Neither of us actually has an Oculus Rift so this whole game was developed without the use of the hardware! As a result of this, we don't have any awesome gameplay footage! If anyone feels compelled to review our game, please let me know on this thread or contact me via PM! We would be eternally grateful. 🙂

About:

Home alone on a Friday night the slow winding of the midnight hour begins to drive you to madness. Leaping from the safety of your couch you recall your recent purchase of the latest adventure horror video game. You begin to delve deep into the eerie story. As the game progresses so does the feeling of a dark presence coming to life around you. A dark presence from the game.

An immersive VR experience in which the sights and sounds of your video game come alive in the comfort of your own home. Players remain stationary for the duration of the experience and use a gamepad to navigate the adventure horror game. Advancing will spawn a variety of creepy and frightening events in your house. If you can make it to the end, you’ve won.
69 REPLIES 69

OculusOptician
Explorer
Good concept,

It's pretty clever because once you absorb yourself into the game on TV, you quickly forget your playing in a virtual world and that leaves you vulnerable to having creepy things happen when you least expect them too.

Here's a couple idea's to freak people out
- Light whispering in your ear or footstep sounds when you are playing
- Shadows that move for no apparent reason
- Have something stand beside you when you look over

Or you could always do this, LOL:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGQr5hCpzr8#t=02m21s

ArneOdland
Honored Guest
So, being in a living room gaming while I'm in a living room gaming? That could get weird.

Now if only there was some way to do a quick 3d scan of my actual living room

>>>>>>> http://matterport.com/ <<<<<<<

Six 3D demo models
http://matterport.com/explore/

At the last Silicon Valley Virtual Reality Meetup (SVVR #3), Matterport's CEO, Matt Bell, released Oculus Rift versions of some of their models.

======> http://tinyurl.com/matterport-oculus <======

I hope to take delivery of a Matterport camera in September and will be taking requests for scans from folks here in the Oculus forums. The models could be extremely helpful to capture ideas and actual details for environments you are building. In this way, a real world environment model with accurate spatial relationships and VR views is brought to your development studio.

I will be very interested to see how other developers use these models, especially in cases where an experience is built directly into a model with little or no modification.

That could get weird.
Just remember, :arrow: "When the going gets weird, the weird get going."

Peejle
Explorer
"ArneOdland" wrote:
At the last Silicon Valley Virtual Reality Meetup (SVVR #3), Matterport's CEO, Matt Bell, released Oculus Rift versions of some of their models.

I hope to take delivery of a Matterport camera in September and will be taking requests for scans from folks here in the Oculus forums. The models could be extremely helpful to capture ideas and actual details for environments you are building. In this way, a real world environment model with accurate spatial relationships and VR views is brought to your development studio.

The preschool model was a good reminder of how messy and random real world locations are vs. rendered.
Full of questions about time it takes for scanning, model cleanup etc. but don't want to hijack this thread.
Please keep us posted, especially after you get the cam.

Peejle

abetterbard
Honored Guest
Thank you everyone for your feedback and kind words! It was very much appreciated.

Alone is finally complete and download links are in the original post.

Thanks for your time!

🙂

IGameArt
Protege
that was super cool. I was expecting to see my hands and a controller when i looked down, but other than that the feeling of playing a game on a big screen in a living room like that is very convincing. It got to be quite creepy, and i can see that this has a lot of potential if you continued development on it.

EvilLefty
Honored Guest
I'm enjoying all the concepts of playing a game within a game (or watching a movie in the Rift or an old arcade style). I see a lot of potential uses! 🙂
Matt @EvilLefty Http://EvilLefty.Tumblr.com

abetterbard
Honored Guest
Thanks folks! The 'seeing your own controller' bit was just too scopey for the gamejam, but moving forward it is something I would love to add.

A big part of the development of this game was nailing the feeling of sitting on a couch in your living room - forgetting about the 'Virtual' and playing more towards 'Reality'. I'm happy to hear it was a success!

Thanks again!

marchansenj
Honored Guest
I tried downloading your game from both places but each time when I try to extract it is saying alone.zip is not a valid compressed file.

abetterbard
Honored Guest
"marchansenj" wrote:
I tried downloading your game from both places but each time when I try to extract it is saying alone.zip is not a valid compressed file.

Hmmm interesting. I can't think of why you would be unable to open it. Are you on a Mac?

DonGateley
Honored Guest
I guess I don't get it. After traipsing about a bit, clicking on arrows and squares as I found them I ended up with something on the screen too dark to make out. I could see that there was movement as I moved the stick but nothing could be made out and nothing I could think of changed the situation. Through it all, about 20 min, nothing in the room I was in visibly changed at all.

Any tips?