cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screenshots for Oculus Store

martinmitrevski
Honored Guest
I'm trying to create screenshots for our app, but if I take them via the Samsung Gear VR, they are only 1024 x 1024, and the store requires 2560 x 1440. What's the common practice for creating screenshots for this kind of apps?

Thanks
8 REPLIES 8

cybereality
Grand Champion
I'll move this to the Developer section. Can I ask which engine you are using? 
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

motorsep
Rising Star

I'm trying to create screenshots for our app, but if I take them via the Samsung Gear VR, they are only 1024 x 1024, and the store requires 2560 x 1440. What's the common practice for creating screenshots for this kind of apps?

Thanks

Take them on PC? There is no difference in looks..

cybereality
Grand Champion
Good point, @motorsep. If you are using Unity or Unreal, you could run the game on the PC and take the photo there. You can also look at using an additional camera and using render to texture and then saving that texture to a file, which should allow you do take a screenshot at a higher resolution than the native screen resolution. How to do this would depend on the engine, but should be possible. Hope that helps.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Anonymous
Not applicable
This is handy if you are using Unity.

martinmitrevski
Honored Guest
Hi everyone, thanks for the replies, much appreciated and helpful. Yes, I forgot to mention, I'm using Unity, so I will create them directly from the PC.

metameta
Protege
If Oculus requires such a strict resolution for screenshots, why not give us some standard utility to do it? I just spent 20 minutes carefully snapping screenshots with the built in utility, then I find out they're only 1024x1024 :neutral:

Unity is fine, but it's difficult to set the game window to a desired size.

Application.CaptureScreenshot() is broken when on the Gear itself and the issue is filed as wont fix: https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/issues/gearvr-application-dot-capturescreenshot-saves-black-image

metameta
Protege
Best way I've found is open Gear VR Service, More, turn on developer mode. Then run the app without the headset on and take screenshots as you normally would on Android. In my case, Note 5, hold power and home buttons for 2 seconds.

I hear you can also use a bluetooth keyboard and hit the printscreen key.

Fulby
Heroic Explorer
I used this script (I think, or one like it) to save an image which is bigger than the screen (I ran this through the Unity editor on the PC):
http://saadkhawaja.com/take-hi-resolution-screenshot-transparent-background/

This asset looks like it does the same thing and is likely even easier to use:
https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/24122