Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

[RELEASE] Shiny - a psychedelic neck trainer

CatatonicCatatonic Posts: 12
edited November 2014 in VR Jam 2015
shinyscreen.jpg

ABOUT SHINY

Hi everyone! Together with Kaorin, I've taken a little break from our main Oculus game Black Island to join the VR Jam - the result is a railshooter-like game called Shiny. Our goal was to make a small, finished game that focuses entirely on the Rift's capabilities. There is - except for the escape key - no keyboard, gamepad or mouse input required to play the game. Head-look only is the future! ;)

Sadly, we didn't have a thread of the game from the beginning, but I guess it's better to arrive late to the party instead of not going at all... so if you have any feedback, we'd love to hear it!

DOWNLOAD

Download for Mac and PC 111mb

SCREENSHOTS

screenshot_396_file2.jpg
screenshot_396_file3.jpg

Comments

• DaveJVRDaveJVR Posts: 105
    Just tried the mac version and it works a treat. I think its a real cool experience and love the graphic style and tunes playing in the background my kind of music. Its simple but fun, could do with more different objects and backgrounds and you'd be on to a winner! :D
  • KominAaaKominAaa Posts: 135
    edited August 2013
    Great trip! Cool music! If you added some sound feedbacks to locking/destroying cubes (kind of like in Rez) you would have more of that synesthesia the game it lending towards.

I lost because I was headbanging too much, I had a great time thanks ! :p
    Hi! Check our VRJam2015 entry SteamCrew VR, Our VR Game
    Shufflepuck Cantina Deluxe VR and our VRJam2013 entry EpicDragon VR!
    Follow us on Facebook!
  • danworlddanworld Posts: 127
    Art3mis
    Beautiful experience. It's not hard imagining this as a paid app in a future VR App Store.

After playing the timed version, I just sat back and enjoyed the non-timed one for a much longer session.
  • YorickYorick Posts: 63
    Hiro Protagonist
    It took me a while to understand the menu... Makes total sense now.

Fun little game and no motion sickness at all, which is rare for me!
  • drashdrash Posts: 2,849
    Neo
    This was super pleasant to play! I enjoyed the backdrop quite a lot, and the gameplay was simple but I think you managed to nail the progression from easy to challenging. Got a score of 325494. :) Good job on this!
  • AnanasAnanas Posts: 181
    Just beautiful, great demo! I really like the music. Had a lots of fun and got 317438 score with my first try. It took some time for it to get really challenging and for maybe first 5 minutes I had +60 seconds. Maybe make it go harder little faster?

But this was great. One of my favourite VRJam games.
  • whoisonlinewhoisonline Posts: 415
    NerveGear
    This demo is amazing .. the graphics and game-play are fantastic. the style is also similar to proton pulse, and thats a good thing. I love that neon style, it seems to really work on the low res Dev kit, I will definitely be showing my visitors this demo.
    I especially like that there's no requirement for controllers, just a rift and a good neck required. :-)

I really hope to see some further updates, such as levels and enemies etc.

Fantastic, thanks for sharing this demo. One of my new favorites.

I've posted on : http://virtualreality.com.au/2013/08/25/demo-shiny-a-psychedelic-neck-trainer/
  • Thank you all for the positive feedback and comments! It's great to see other people enjoying the game.

I've just updated the game to version 1.01 - especially after seeing the video, I realized that there are people who are much better than me at playing, so I increased the difficulty a bit. It's still possible to build up some time in the beginning, but I think that 400k is the highest score that we'll see for a while ;)

Also, I've re-added the resolution dialog, since the jury is maybe equipped with HD rift's... who knows?
  • KaorinKaorin Posts: 16
    Very happy to see so much positive feedback! Catatonic did an awesome job putting together this smooth experience. :) Please try it with your own music!

A little tipp: When I play it with Jpop, there's so much pitch going on, the cubes are very big and the game goes into easy mode. You only have to endure the music. haha...
  • Hi everyone

After I've been asked for a linux version, I thought I might post it here in the forums too.

Download link: http://www.sebastiantobler.com/shiny_linux.zip 32/64bit version.

Have fun!
  • przecinekprzecinek Posts: 596
    Nexus 6
    I first stumbled upon youtube video, then decided to download it. And I 'm glad I did. Very relaxing experience. I don't know why but I'm finding game difficult, first time I only got 50k points :oops: After some practice managed to get it up to 230k

The tunnel is very well done, music fits perfectly, later on when you get cubicles coming at you from everywhere you can get a sense of accomplishment if you manage to get them all, just like playing any sync game, guitar hero and such.
    I wouldn't mind paying 200 OcuCredits in a VRshop if this was made into full experience.

Critical thoughts? Instead of message "+TIME" that pops up everytime you complete a sequence it should say "+5 Seconds" or "+3 seconds" - the longer sequence the more seconds I guess. You don't really have time to check your progress so this would give you some kind of estimate, plus it makes things more challenging, you feel like every second counts. You could also add some kind of visual fx to indicate that you've only got 5,4,3,2,1 second left.
  • GanjaroachGanjaroach Posts: 449
    Hiro Protagonist

Great game, it looks really cool and love that you can add your own music! Only having to use the rift to interact is all ways great because holding a controller or using a keyboard kinda takes away from the immersion of the rift. Congrats on making it to the finalists and thanks for sharing I really enjoyed this game! :D
  • Thanks to including the 64bit linux build, I was able to test. It runs quite smooth and is fun!

Video: http://youtu.be/XqfbnE3kdV8

My system:
    Distro      Linux qbox 3.11.1-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Sep 14 19:30:21 CEST 2013 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    CPU         model name : AMD Phenom(tm) 9550 Quad-Core Processor
    Video         01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RS780 [Radeon HD 3200] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    Video memory   [256M]
    RAM         Mem: 3.6G 3.5G 150M 0B 32M 522M
    GCC         gcc (GCC) 4.8.1 20130725 (prerelease)
    VGA driver  OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
    Video driver packages:
    local/xf86-video-ati 1:7.2.0-1 (xorg-drivers xorg)
    local/xf86-video-vesa 2.3.2-3 (xorg-drivers xorg)

• Wow, that was great. I do have issues with nausea, so I know what Yorick deals with, but yes, this game is very smooth on my eyes. No problems with nausea. Thanks to those who made this, luv it!
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    I liked this one a lot.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • Any chance of adding a recenter button? Im starting to get quite bad yaw drift to the left on my rift, not sure if it's the game or the rift itself, Because seems fine when the rift is left still on the desk, but as soon as I start playing this and moving the rift about it drifts quite quickly maybe 5 mins and im facing 45 drgrees the the right of where I originally started :/
  • OnyXVROnyXVR Posts: 53
    Brain Burst
    Wanted to come by and give my respects. Amazing experience!!!

I'm showing a friend the Oculus on Sunday and Shiny will probably be the first demo I'm gonna show him. Thanks for the effort. I hope I can make something at least half as good as that. Kudos!
  • DariusDarius Posts: 177
    Brain Burst
    After a hard day of work and then playing shiny in endless mode is soooooo relaxing. It's like dancing to trance while sitting down on a chair. Hope you guys expand this, some turns and twists in the tunnel, different colours, would make the experience even more awesome.
  • Thank you all for the amazing comments!
    We're really surprised how many people enjoy Shiny even after the VR Jam being over. Actually, we didn't work on Shiny in the last time in favor of Black Island, but that's going to change soon - there will definitely be an update. If we're lucky, it's even going to be a big one. We're wildly thinking about different levels, more shapes & color-based combos... but I can't promise anything yet ;)
    Critical thoughts? Instead of message "+TIME" that pops up everytime you complete a sequence it should say "+5 Seconds" or "+3 seconds" - the longer sequence the more seconds I guess.

Actually, at the moment it doesn't matter how long the sequence was in terms of additional time. We're about to change that, because it should.
    You could also add some kind of visual fx to indicate that you've only got 5,4,3,2,1 second left.

Definitely. Most people we've seen playing don't track their remaining time and are totally surprised by game over.
    Thanks to including the 64bit linux build, I was able to test. It runs quite smooth and is fun!

Thanks for testing on Linux! Seems to work quite well :)
    Any chance of adding a recenter button?

That's one thing we were thinking of including. Does anyone have any experience in re-centering / re-adjusting the Rift? I wasn't able to find a method for that in the Unity SDK (except for simply reloading the level).
    Hope you guys expand this, some turns and twists in the tunnel

We'd love to have turns and twists too!
    Sadly (apart from pretty much rewriting the level, since it's super-static atm), we fear that having turns could also add VR sickness to the game. In our eyes, the reason why Shiny causes almost no nausea is that there is no acceleration in the player movement at all - curves would most probably change that. If we include curves, we want to do it in a way that feels totally comfortable.

In general, making a game like Shiny for the Rift means that you have to be very, very careful about what you do on a visual or "sensory" basis - because if you do something wrong, it's not going to cause the player to feel a little uncomfortable. It's going to turn his stomach by 180 degrees in a matter of seconds. Imagine Dyad on the Rift... you'd feel like inside a laundry washing machine :D
  • AnanasAnanas Posts: 181
    Catatonic wrote:
    Does anyone have any experience in re-centering / re-adjusting the Rift? I wasn't able to find a method for that in the Unity SDK (except for simply reloading the level)
    OVRDevice.ResetOrientation(0); seems to be the way to reset the orientation.
  • ... and it's back from the dead!

Shiny Version 1.1 is now available. New features:

- DK2 support
    - 3 more tracks
    - slightly improved visuals/particles

Download: www.shinyvr.com
  • KenzieKenzie Posts: 118
    Love this demo, always on my list of demos when showing people the Rift (it's my mom's favorite). Looking forward to trying it on DK2 :D