cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sightline [DK2 support released]

Frooxius
Honored Guest
I'm excited to announce that the crowdfunding campaign for SightLine has launched!

Official website  |  Facebook Page

Help us make this reality! Share and comment! 🙂

As a special treat, he's the last part of SightLine Prelude, finishing the surreal sci-fi short about the events before the story of SightLine.

Also I have made new topic for the development of the full game after VR Jam, so you can get updates and continue discussion here:
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=6896

------------------------------

Get 1.2 Windows build (DK2 support)

Also SightLine is now on Oculus Share
https://share.oculus.com/app/1380132786019bpblgi7ldi

Update: Because I would like to make SightLine into a full blown game, I'm considering launching an IndieGogo campaign, but I could use some advice. Would you mind answering some of the questions in this post?

Hello,
I would like to share my Oculus VR jam entry with you - a game prototype named "SightLine", based on a principle that as soon as anything exits your field of view, it can change!

Official website (in construction)
Facebook page

Description

Our universe is volatile. Anything can be happening in places you're not observing. But laws of physics ensure, that whenever you look back, everything will be nice and consistent. In this game, laws of physics are broken.

The moment you look away... anything can change. The moment an object leaves your line of sight, it can vanish or change into something else.

Will you make sense of this unstable world and use the volatile nature of the environment to your advantage, to solve puzzles and get to the end?

Sightline is an environmental action/puzzle game prototype made specifically for
Oculus Rift VR jam developed with Unity and thus supports Windows, Mac and Linux

2nd milestone video
Note: It lacks some of the polish and changes in the final build, I didn't have time to make or even upload (I have 0.6 Mbps upload >.>) new trailer, but at least you'll have some surprises while playing 😉

Download
Windows (Final VR jam prototype build - 1.0) (~150 MB)

Soundtrack (On SoundCloud)

Works with keyboard/mouse and Xbox 360 controller.

Credits
Created by: Tomas "Frooxius" Mariancik (that's me :3 )
Music by: Ondrej "Sakabi" Pultar
Voice by: Julian Ceipek
Also I used a bunch of creative commons/free assets, they're listed in the README file included with the game.

I'll be happy if you share your thoughts, constructive criticism or just any comments! ^^ The last 3 weeks were quite tense, I worked as much as I could on this and I hope that I'll at least stand a small chance 😄 And hopefully that you'll find it fun 🙂
122 REPLIES 122

Dexter111
Honored Guest
"Frooxius" wrote:
I'm not sure how can you fall into bottomless pit after the room fills with spikes, it's supposed to be blocked with colliders at that point O.O That's very odd. You fell through the pit that was there before right?

Nope, that pit wasn't even there anymore. When you enter the room the first time, there are 4 spikes... one turns into a big ventilator, then you run into the "Dead End" and when you come back again there are 8 more spikes that appear and there is another exit that gets blocked right away. At that point I instinctively ran under the ventilator before the first set of the 8 spikes fell, I turned around to watch the spikes fall and steered backwards from under the ventilator in about the direction where you enter this room for the first time and I fell outside the level. Could see it getting smaller and smaller and then just black for a long time which is when I had to force-close the game.

Frooxius
Honored Guest
Dexter111:
Oops! I didn't realize players would run under the ventilator, they're not supposed to go there at all, that area is nonfunctional at that point O.O Thanks for pointing that out, although now it's a bit too late to fix it 😞

Ananas
Explorer
Amazing concept. Things like this are perfect with the Rift. One of the most well done games in VRJam. Everything worked well, except that
I fell too into darkness when 8 spikes began to come down.
Going to play it to the end later though. I loved the use of particles flying around. The bridge was well made too, all the time I was afraid it would throw me down. 🙂
It's unbeliavable how good work so few people can make.
I want HL3 too, let's hope Gaben tries this game.

There have been just too many good games out yesterday and today, feels like Christmas when opening a game after another. 😄

Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't think Im very far through this game at all but so far it is absolutely brilliant. PLEASE make more checkpoints though! I just
died when the meteor hit me
and it put me straight back
in front of the door again.
Also the level select buttons don't work.

Really great work though. Im really enjoying it.

marchansenj
Honored Guest
Truly impressive accomplishment. I love the concept and loved the writing! Going to play some more after work.

Dusel
Honored Guest
This was one of the best VR experiences for me so far! The concept itself was awesome, but with the rift, this is a whole new genre 😄 The only thing i would suggest is:
1. adding some checkpoints, especially in the 2. scene, i died quite often to be honest 😄
2. more levels please! 😄

whoisonline
Explorer
Sightline is by far the trippiest demo I've had the pleasure of enjoying on the rift.
The concept, gameplay, graphics are spot on. This is another one I would love to play on the Omni.
I only did part 1, ill try part 2 another time, I'm not reading the spoilers so It might take me a while to figure part 2 out.

Thanks for sharing this great demo.

http://virtualreality.com.au/2013/08/28/demo-sightline/

Frooxius
Honored Guest
Wow thanks! (sorry for late response, I had to do some other chunk of work in my job and other things that I've been kinda neglecting during the game jam 😄 ) I'm glad you like it ^^ looks like my chances just got slightly less slim x3

Ananas:
Sorry about the falling down during the second part of the spike scene, I'm quite unsure what that causes though

regularslinky + dusel: Yeah, sorry again about no checkpoints, the final game will have these, but I didn't manage to implement them in time. I have some plans to develop this into a fully fledged game and ideas for a bunch of other puzzles that didn't make it into the prototype, so there will be more! ^^

Odd that the level select doesn't work. Are you sure you are pressing the numbers on the numpad (also is numpad enabled?) instead of numbers on alphanumeric portion?

whoisonline: Oh! Thanks for the video a lot! I supported Omni on KickStarter myself, so whenever it comes, I'll make sure to add support. Hope you get through part 2 soon too! Thanks again for the video, I like how is it done.

----------------------------

Anyway I forgot to add, I made a full playthrough video myself, if you don't mind spoilers (or have already played it or got stuck), you can watch it here:

Thodder7
Honored Guest
Loved this game!

Here is my Video Review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhZcX0AEjZU

Thanks for watching!

- Tyler
Join the VR Brotherhood: http://bit.ly/1iUAjuf Our Youtube Channel!: https://www.youtube.com/user/VRBrotherhood/videos

drash
Heroic Explorer
Frooxius,
I "wow'd out loud" and you nearly brought me to tears when the spinning elevator went from black sky to blue sky with a terrain and birds and upbeat music.
That's creative genius right there. 🙂 Thank you for that! Great use of particles all around. Very entertaining all the way through, and I am leaning toward this sort of thing being my favorite type of Rift experience.
(If you haven't played "The Trip", that's neat too, and gives me a similar sense of surprise as you look around)

"Frooxius" wrote:
Oops! I didn't realize players would run under the ventilator, they're not supposed to go there at all, that area is nonfunctional at that point O.O Thanks for pointing that out, although now it's a bit too late to fix it 😞

Yep, I did the same thing! Ran to what I already knew to be safe. 🙂 No worries, the game is compelling enough to go through the first part of part 2 all over again just to see what happens next! 🙂

Loved seeing "myself" toward the end. Very trippy! :shock:

And, I know this was a jam entry that was created under time pressure, but I do want to point out that as someone with a hearing loss and couldn't understand 95% of what the narrator was saying, I'll be expecting these sorts of narrated experiences to have a subtitle option when released in a commercial capacity (and you can localize it for multiple languages in the process!).

Very awesome job -- you should be very proud of this! 🙂
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com