cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Fixed] Avatar Head Rotation Incorrect

Howaboutnot
Honored Guest
I'm using the OvrAvatar package in Unity 5.5.1, but I'm having issues with the avatars using the correct rotation.  When the user is facing any direction other than straight, the rotation of the avatar's head is incorrect, to the point where it's completely mirrored when you're turned around 180 degrees.  The pose data for the tracking is correct, but the poses used for the avatar are not.  Is this a problem with the new version of Unity, or is there something that can be fixed within the avatar scripts?

This is happening in Unity 5.5.1f1 in a blank project that only contains the OVR and OvrAvatar packages.
12 REPLIES 12

Howaboutnot
Honored Guest
I just tested the avatars in a clean installation of 5.4.4 and they are broken as well, so it's definitely an SDK issue.

Howaboutnot
Honored Guest

Before I ask any other questions, is it possible for you to upgrade to Unity 5.6b (the newest release) and confirm if this issue is still present?

Will do, I'll let you know in 30 minutes.

Howaboutnot
Honored Guest
5.6b has the same issue, with the added issue that the material has visual bugs (flickering on and off, similar to the visual effect of shaders fighting with overlapping meshes).

c0nn0r
Honored Guest
I have this issue in both 5.5 and 5.6. I also just noticed that even in Oculus Home your avatar shown in the top right hand side (near the user controls) exhibits the same incorrect pose/rotation flaw! You can clearly see the flaw when you rotate yourself to the right and nod up and down. The avatar in Home will show incorrect pose. Same problem I'm having in my projects. Seems to be a larger problem that even Oculus is having. Can't wait for an update to the SDK...

phindle
Protege
This happens for me too - using the latest Avatar SDK and Unity 5.4.3f.

As c0nn0r said, just rotate yourself and face 90 degrees left or right of the monitor, then tilt your head left and right to see the problem.

Ross_Beef
Heroic Explorer
Thanks everyone for catching this - after trawling some weird quaternary math we've found a bug and will be pushing an update asap. 

phindle
Protege
"some weird quaternary math"

All quaternion math is weird! 

But seriously - nice work, thank you for finding and fixing this.

Yoirgl
Expert Protege
Hello.
Do you know when the avatar sdk will be updated ? I'm also facing this issue and I'm very curious to know when this will be solved 🙂
Thanks.

Yoirgl
http://unwise.software/

Ross_Beef
Heroic Explorer
Hi there - we just released Software Update 1.12 which includes this fix as part of the SDK.
Nothing to change on your part, as this is baked into the centrally hosted SDK files.