cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Publish GearVR app built with Unity 5.6 beta

Flo13
Protege
Hi,

I could successfully upload an APK (in the Alpha Channel) built with Unity 5.6.0b8 but I'm facing the following issue:
My app appears as "Not Supported for Your Device or OS" in the "Not Installed" tab of the Oculus app Library.

Also, I'm having issues initializing Oculus Platform when running in GearVR (sideloaded), but not in the Editor.
I get:  "UnityException: Oculus Platform failed to initialize."

That exception comes from 
CAPI.ovr_UnityInitWrapper(appId)
returning false, in AndroidPlatform class (and I confirm I have a Subscribed User registered in the Builds tab)

I have the feeling these both issues are linked to using Unity 5.6 beta.

Here is the full config:
- Unity 5.6.0b8 / macOS Sierra
- Oculus utilities 1.11.0 (that clearly claims to NOT support 5.6, but I use only OVRTouchpad and it works fine)
- Oculus Platform 1.11.0 (doesn't say if it supports 5.6 or not)
- Galaxy S6 / Android 6.0.1

I know it's not a good practice to use a beta for release. But I unfortunately had to switch from Unity 5.5 to Unity 5.6 beta because of a black screen issue on startup when running in GearVR. And there was no way I could fix it or downgrade to 5.4 at that point.

Can someone from the Oculus Staff please advise? Is my only option to wait for 5.6 official release? Or is there something I don't understand?

Thanks!
9 REPLIES 9

Flo13
Protege
Mmmh... just realized my app also appears in the Oculus app "Store" tab > "My Preview Apps" category and everything seems to work fine... It's clickable and I get no logcat error. Confusing. I guess I'm going to try to submit as it is.

juanoldinho
Heroic Explorer

Flo13 said:

Hi,

I could successfully upload an APK (in the Alpha Channel) built with Unity 5.6.0b8 but I'm facing the following issue:
My app appears as "Not Supported for Your Device or OS" in the "Not Installed" tab of the Oculus app Library.

Typically the above message is because you have not added yourself to the release channel, in your case the Alpha channel. Ensure you have added yourself, via Oculus Id to your Alpha channel.
Please tag me, @juanoldinho, in your forum post/response if you need immediate assistance or want additional support or context on an issue you are having with our software or integrations.

Having an issue with our platform, services, or integrations?

Try using our new bug tool to report this and receive emailed updates as we proceed to address it internally.

LondonStevey
Honored Guest
I'm just trying to publish with Unity 5.6.0b11 as well because of similar issues with 5.5. I've got it all working apart from when navigating to the Universal Menu and then back, the app freezes altogether. I've tested with a completely clean project and it also gives the issue, trying again on 5.5 and it works fine. Unfortunately it fails the Oculus functional test, so can't get it approved. Are you having the same problem?

Flo13
Protege
Hi LondonStevey, I had to cancel my publish for the exact same reason. I've reported the bug here:
https://fogbugz.unity3d.com/default.asp?888934_4k4aafru2g4mlk8h

I'm afraid our only option will be to wait for a fix... the app will be rejected by Oculus if there's no way to come back from the Oculus Home. And we can not even be sure that will be fixed in 5.6 release, since 5.5 did was shipped buggy.

😞

LondonStevey
Honored Guest
Ahh that's a shame! Hopefully it'll get fixed soon... in the meantime I'm going to deploy with the new Cardboard support for iOS in b11! 🙂

Flo13
Protege

Flo13 said:
I know it's not a good practice to use a beta for release. But I unfortunately had to switch from Unity 5.5 to Unity 5.6 beta because of a black screen issue on startup when running in GearVR. And there was no way I could fix it or downgrade to 5.4 at that point.

Fingers crossed for the dev team to not ship the newer version with another blocking bug 🙂

Flo13
Protege
Good news!
We have been able to reproduce this bug and have sent it for resolution with our developers.
https://fogbugz.unity3d.com/default.asp?888934_4k4aafru2g4mlk8h

Flo13
Protege
@LondonStevey
Problem fixed in Unity 5.6.0f1!

Thanks to the Unity Staff. You guys rock!

LondonStevey
Honored Guest
Ahh thats great news! Thanks for the update @Flo13
and thanks for the quick fix Unity! :smiley: