[DEMO V2.0] Oculus Maximus

8bit
Protege
Oculus Maximus - The Ultimate Gladiator Experience

Demo version 2 is available
(Fight with 2 swords like Spartacus!)
http://www.raginggoat.com/download

Hello Jammers,
Here is a video and a link to the demo we submitted for the jam.
Special thanks to RCMPMARUDER for providing sounds and vocals.

Enjoy the game.

Screenshots

Gameplay Video

Downloadable Demo
*** Requires Razer Hydra ***
Runs at 60 FPS with i7 and GTX 660 Ti. Lesser systems may not be playable.

Demo version 2.0
http://www.raginggoat.com/download

Below is link to first demo submitted for VR jam
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18313052/OculusMaximusDemo.zip
145 REPLIES 145

Serk
Explorer
"OculusOptician" wrote:
It's working again, many thanks. Will post my findings shortly.

Yeah, it's working for me too.

360FOV
Honored Guest
Fantastic game but where is Russell Crowe? :lol:

I would like to suggest a couple things you could do to make the combat feel faster paced and more adrenaline pumping. By doing these simple steps I think it could make each battle seem like it is building momentum as it progresses and result in more satisfaction when the opponent is eventually slain.

You could add a "damage/rage meter" somewhere on the screen that increases as you deliver more strikes and decreases back down if you are being to passive. When you have done enough damage for it to reach a midway point it can have you enter "FRENZY MODE" and every attack delivers 2 fast combo strikes instead of a single blow and therefore does between 50-100 percent more damage. Each time this Frenzy threshold is reached you could make the opponent start flashing between bright and normal and have a voice announce, "Frenzy Mode - maximum damage is now being dealt." Of course, if you are being too careful and not aggressive enough the damage level would drop under 50 and the flashing would stop along with the amount of damage returning to normal, with the announcer now aggressively saying something random like, "Gladiator, stop being a coward. You can't kill him if you are running from him!".

When you get above 90 percent make it so you are in "KILL MODE" and you can choose from several kill strikes, like the decapitation, to finish the opponent off if you execute the kill move perfectly. When you reach the kill threshold you can make the opponent flash red and have the voice say, "You have him weak! - Finish him off for Caesar!" or "He is done for! - Slay him off for the Empire!" or "Well done gladiator, give the emperor his blood!" or "What are you waiting for? - Kill him like the dog he is!" or cycle through any other random phrase that makes sense here.

Instead of a "Damage/Rage meter" all this could be done also with a health meter above the enemy's head but with every thing working in reverse instead. Now as his health goes down the dynamics kick in.

If you don't wish to alter the realism feel of being a gladiator by having any meters display you could just have it activate by checking "arcade mode" at the start-up screen.

EDIT: Ok, 5 minutes after making this post I remembered this game was mostly made for the hydra. Therefore to do what I wanted I only see 2 choices available.

1. Use the arcade mode I mentioned and an Xbox controller and thus ignoring the Hydra entirely (this would help if pursuing commercial release since most people don't have Hydra's)

- or -

2. Do everything I said except after doing damage with a sword strike automatically perform a "FRENZY MOVE" such as a head but, knee kick to the stomach, elbow strike to the opponents head, or a shield bash. Depending on how you originally attack it could choose one of the moves that are best suited for the follow up and execute it very quickly before returning to what ever position your body is in. It may be slightly harder to program but you could still achieve the extra FRENZY damage. 😄
“My ally is the Force. Life creates it, makes it grow. It’s energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we…not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you. Here, between you, me, the tree, the rock…everywhere!"

Ananas
Explorer
I just started to think about the hydras; Because of the latency fast hand movements such as throwing stuff or swinging a sword might feel little clumsy. Could this be helped with a prediction of your hand movement? Just like Rift does with head-tracking. With fast swings the sword could be a little further ahead so that it feels more natural.
Could it be possible? I'm not a coder but just thinking of it.

8bit
Protege
"Ananas" wrote:
I just started to think about the hydras; Because of the latency fast hand movements such as throwing stuff or swinging a sword might feel little clumsy. Could this be helped with a prediction of your hand movement? Just like Rift does with head-tracking. With fast swings the sword could be a little further ahead so that it feels more natural.
Could it be possible? I'm not a coder but just thinking of it.

In the early days I did some testing of sword throwing with the hydras. In reality (meat space), I took my training gladius and threw it at a tree in the backyard several times. Then I tried throwing a sword in UDK the same way with hydras and overall it worked quite well. It did not respect the flip of my wrist as much but overall it was reasonable and fun. This was in an empty world so I'm thinking with a full blown game running we will get some lag and might need to do some prediction. Nonetheless, this is one of those things that usually works best by trying. Devil is in the details.

8bit
Protege
@360FOV

Wow I like how much thought you put into this.
I'll try to answer each of your points.

Making the game faster / adrenaline pumping.
To help people get acclimated to the environment, gladiators and controls, we purposely made the first few opponents have very little activity. This probably contributes to your perception of the game being not as action packed. In a real game those guys would be much more active.

Rage mode
If we did have a rage mode it would probably be based on crowd entertainment which would be based on Gladiator activity. We will have to try this out. For now I can tell you though that people quite naturally can have rage mode while playing the game. A few girls that tried the game were slaughtering guys left and right in their own rage modes probably because they were getting into it and not doing the scientific experimenting that some of us technology people do. The best rage mode would be one that we could evoke from a player naturally and let the physics sandbox do its standard thing. We will test out artificial boosts and see how they work but we don't prefer them.

Meters of any kind
We really do not like any type of HUD. Visually effects and sounds and any type of haptic a would be preferred.

Finish him / execution
Yeah we were really hoping to get that into the demo but just ran out of time. We actually have some vocals for that. 🙂

Thanks for your great feedback. Have fun with the demo.

kithrax
Honored Guest
Thank you for producing this for the VR jam! This is the kind of immersion that the Hydra was meant for and thanks to the Oculus and your use of the technology fun ideas are coming to the surface.

This demo reminds me, a great deal, of Die by the Sword and the more things you can implement from that style of game I think the better. I really miss using the chopped off arm of a Kobold to thrash his little buddies 😉

novahux
Honored Guest
Look neat, however i'm unable to get the hydras to initialize. the dll files are extracted to the correct spot.
Binaries\Win32\UserCode but its a no go, any suggestions ?

8bit
Protege
"novahux" wrote:
Look neat, however i'm unable to get the hydras to initialize. the dll files are extracted to the correct spot.
Binaries\Win32\UserCode but its a no go, any suggestions ?

Unplug and replug your USB. Then check the wire from hand controls to the base. Sometimes that gets loose but does not fully come out and you won't notice. I suggest you pull out each wire from the base and replug in because it may look plugged in when it is not fully inserted.

Also yes that is the correct DLL directory.
See if that works for you.

360FOV
Honored Guest
8bit,
Do you know if the Sixense Motion Creator 2 or the Razor driver works best for this demo?
“My ally is the Force. Life creates it, makes it grow. It’s energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we…not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you. Here, between you, me, the tree, the rock…everywhere!"

8bit
Protege
"360FOV" wrote:
8bit,
Do you know if the Sixense Motion Creator 2 or the Razor driver works best for this demo?

I recommend exiting "Sixense Motion Creator 2". It's primary purpose is to map hydra to mouse controls so it is not necessary.

We are using the native Sixense drivers. You don't need to worry about it though. Just run the batch file called, "RunThisOnce.bat" and it will put the DLLs in the proper place.