cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Detecting Oculus HMD is removed

L4Z3RC47
Protege
While running and with an Oculus HDM attached does anyone know of a way to detect if the user/player has removed the headset? I'm trying to setup a script to trigger rendering on screen instructions to the desktop display and then reload the scene once a new player puts the headset on to restart the experience in a multi user scenario.
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

delphinius81
Rising Star
You can register delegates for the HMDMounted and HMDUnmounted events through OVRManager.

OVRManager.HMDMounted += HandleHMDMounted;
OVRManager.HMDUnmounted += HandleHMDUnmounted;

void HandleHMDMounted() {
   // Do stuff
}

void HandleHMDUnmounted() {
   // Do stuff
}

View solution in original post

L4Z3RC47
Protege
7 REPLIES 7

delphinius81
Rising Star
You can register delegates for the HMDMounted and HMDUnmounted events through OVRManager.

OVRManager.HMDMounted += HandleHMDMounted;
OVRManager.HMDUnmounted += HandleHMDUnmounted;

void HandleHMDMounted() {
   // Do stuff
}

void HandleHMDUnmounted() {
   // Do stuff
}

L4Z3RC47
Protege
Cool, thanks!

TedBrown
Honored Guest
I have tested this in editor (along with VrFocusAcquired and VrFocusLost), and it works fine.

But it does not work in my build.

I'm running 5.4.0p2 with OVR 1.7 and Utilities 1.7

Is this a bug? Or is there a setting I'm missing?

delphinius81
Rising Star
The last build I made where I know that this worked was Unity v5.4.0p1, Oculus Utilities v1.6.0, OVRPlugin v1.6.0. I haven't tried a build using 1.7 utilities/plugin.

Corstiaan
Honored Guest
Has anyone managed to get this (or any other method for that matter) to work? Whatever I do, if user takes off the HMD, screen goed black, Unity goes suspend and there's nothing I can do about it??

L4Z3RC47
Protege
@Corstiaan
@imperativity

You need to set the internal static bool "runInBackground" to true inside the OVRManager script 

Omicronworks
Honored Guest
You can use the isUserPresent instance from the Oculus Utilities. We
have created a package which includes different analysing tools for the
GearVR and the Cardboard. https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/97173