cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vertical Screen Tearing on S7

StimpanzeePsyop
Honored Guest
Hello everyone, 

Just recently, my builds for Gear VR have been producing a ton of vertical tearing, more noticeably so on the Galaxy S7 (Snapdragon). I am working with Unreal Engine 4.16

The issue persists despite resolution and power level modifications. It's happening in the same scenes I was having good results with previously.

Are there any tips out there for Vsync settings? Any ideas on why the issues seemed to have cropped up so suddenly?

Thanks 
6 REPLIES 6

cybereality
Grand Champion
Moving to mobile dev section.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Norman3D
Expert Protege
I'm having the same issue with Samsung S7 on Android N:
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/comment/513577#Comment_513577

At one point these last few days it has also started to happen on S7 with Android 6, though.

Norman3D
Expert Protege
Today's update has fixed the issue on Android 6, issue persists on Android 7, though.

StimpanzeePsyop
Honored Guest

Norman3D said:

Today's update has fixed the issue on Android 6, issue persists on Android 7, though.

Thanks for being active on this issue! I will continue to follow your thread. I have a thread over on UDN discussing the same bug. No progress yet, but I will update if there is any news. 

For the record, this is the type of screen tearing artifacts I am seeing: 
difuiww3ba0k.gif

1y6x3yccc887.jpg

Norman3D
Expert Protege
For the record, my issue is similar to this, but in my case the effect happens only vertically across the screen as opposed to horizontally like pictures above.

StimpanzeePsyop
Honored Guest

Norman3D said:

For the record, my issue is similar to this, but in my case the effect happens only vertically across the screen as opposed to horizontally like pictures above.

I most commonly see vertical tearing, but in this case there was both. It was possibly exacerbated by the screen capture app running in the background.