cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Horribly slow fps on galaxy s8

parthdarji
Explorer
As stupid as it might sound, we are getting incrementally worse performance for our GearVR app on Samsung Galaxy devices. s6 performs the best at ~60fps, s7 at ~57-60 and s8 at ~25-30. We've tried unity versions 5.6.0f3 and 5.5.1f1 with similar results. We have also tried Oculus Utilities v1.13.0 and v1.14.0. Has anyone else faced similar issues?

The profiler shows substantially high amount of time for Camera.Render for s8(~12ms) than s7(~3-4fps).

/parth
56 REPLIES 56

parthdarji
Explorer

JianZ said:

FYI update:

I'm able to repro the issue with 5.6.0p4

S8 Qualcomm performance is bad constantly, S7 QualComm has some random results ( jumping from bad to good ). all MALI phone don't have such issues ( tested on S6 + S8 ),
 I'm going to dig into it and contact with Unity,  

will update here for progress

Hi,

The original project I have does have multithreaded rendering enabled and the profiler screenshot is for the same project. I also tried enabling it with similar results. I have to add that I am using a Mac for development. I am trying to port the project over to windows to see if it helps. I will post results here.

In the meantime, if there is a version which anyone knows works for sure, can they update the details here? We are a little crunched on time wrt store submission.

/parth

JianZ
Expert Protege
Hi Parthdarji

So far, from my testing,  Unity 5.3 and 5.4 don't have the issue ( I tested  5.3.7p4  and 5.4.3p4 )
Start from Unity 5.5, the problem start happening.

JianZ
Expert Protege
To HoldenTB

I'm not quite sure if it is the same problem,  the problem Parthdarji described is only on Qualcomm S8 and it is on the CPU side.

For gpu issue,  we do see GPU regression from 5.3 to 5.4 and 5.5 to 5.6 on MALI phones, which can lead longer gpu wait time,  can you confirm you phone model ?   btw, a repro project is always welcome

Thanks

JianZ
Expert Protege
Hey Parthdarji

I'm able to find the issue.  Unity 5.5/5.6 ( or maybe even later version of 5.4 ) are using new logic to detect big.LITTLE core,  unfortunately, there is a bug , which eventually results unity main thread running on the little core of Qualcomm S8, then more than half of the cpu power is gone.

I had sent my fix to Unity and asking for a patch, will update here again once we got a release schedule ( should be soon )

Before that,  probably Unity 5.4.3p4 is a good version  

v8azanhcgvfn.jpg

parthdarji
Explorer

JianZ said:

Hey Parthdarji

I'm able to find the issue.  Unity 5.5/5.6 ( or maybe even later version of 5.4 ) are using new logic to detect big.LITTLE core,  unfortunately, there is a bug , which eventually results unity main thread running on the little core of Qualcomm S8, then more than half of the cpu power is gone.

I had sent my fix to Unity and asking for a patch, will update here again once we got a release schedule ( should be soon )

Before that,  probably Unity 5.4.3p4 is a good version  

v8azanhcgvfn.jpg

Hi JianZ,

Thank you very much for helping out with the issue.

My initial tests suggest that Unity 5.4.3p1 works well on the S8 on the sample project. I am trying to downgrade my project to 5.4.3p1, but it looks like the downgrade would have to be done manually (because of API changes) and before I invest time in doing that, it would be helpful to know an estimate release date for the patch. Do you have a timeline on the release?

Also, not sure if this would be an unreasonable request, but is it in any way possible to get this version of the update individually before it gets released?

/parth

JianZ
Expert Protege
this is up our partner Unity, I had asked them handle this ASAP since this is very serious issue.
But no eta so far.  My personal estimate would be a few weeks for patch release ( note personal opinion).

and we have no right to release local compiled version

thanks

parthdarji
Explorer

JianZ said:

this is up our partner Unity, I had asked them handle this ASAP since this is very serious issue.
But no eta so far.  My personal estimate would be a few weeks for patch release ( note personal opinion).

and we have no right to release local compiled version

thanks

Thank you again for the update.

I might be shooting an arrow in the dark, but is this scenario possible:
With Oculus Utilities 1.14.0, there is a way to use the plugin downloaded from the store and not the one shipped with Unity. Is it possible that a next update of OVRPlugin fixes this issue without Unity's involvement in it?

/parth

JianZ
Expert Protege
No, this is a general Unity Android issue, not even related with VR,  ovrPlugin has nothing to do with it.

drash
Heroic Explorer
JianZ, I really appreciate your efforts on this.  Looking forward to that patch in the coming weeks!

SxKx
Expert Protege
Big thanks for bringing this up, I´ve been laughing and crying trying to get my build working and just when I managed to balance my optimiaztions this comes up.  I hope they patch soon but at least can focus on some new things in the meantime and not waste my time because of bug Unity in their Android stuff. Keep us posted on the issue.