cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Horribly slow fps on galaxy s8

parthdarji
Explorer
As stupid as it might sound, we are getting incrementally worse performance for our GearVR app on Samsung Galaxy devices. s6 performs the best at ~60fps, s7 at ~57-60 and s8 at ~25-30. We've tried unity versions 5.6.0f3 and 5.5.1f1 with similar results. We have also tried Oculus Utilities v1.13.0 and v1.14.0. Has anyone else faced similar issues?

The profiler shows substantially high amount of time for Camera.Render for s8(~12ms) than s7(~3-4fps).

/parth
56 REPLIES 56

parthdarji
Explorer

JianZ said:

Hey Parthdarji

I'm able to find the issue.  Unity 5.5/5.6 ( or maybe even later version of 5.4 ) are using new logic to detect big.LITTLE core,  unfortunately, there is a bug , which eventually results unity main thread running on the little core of Qualcomm S8, then more than half of the cpu power is gone.

I had sent my fix to Unity and asking for a patch, will update here again once we got a release schedule ( should be soon )

Before that,  probably Unity 5.4.3p4 is a good version  

v8azanhcgvfn.jpg

For anyone who stumbles across this thread, here a report on Unity 5.4.3p4 downgrade:
1. The downgrade will most likely break all your UI for the project, so you will have to practically rebuild the entire thing again.
2. The performance definitely increases, but Anti Aliasing of 4 or more would again bring you back to practically the same performance as 5.6
3. 5.4.3p1 doesn't have Single Pass Stereo rendering, so you'll have double the draw calls.
4. The app still doesn't run at 60fps on the S8 after rebuilding it - the performance fiddles between 40-55 whenever a UI is in view. Without the UI, the fps is 60. The same app performs at 60fps on both S7 and S6.

HTH.

jasonVRC
Honored Guest
Is this logged in Unity's issue tracker so we can get updates on its progress? I couldn't find it and I think it would be helpful.

JianZ
Expert Protege
No, there is no issue tracker,  we have directly contact with Unity dev team, it should be more efficient than external tracker.   we just get an update that they will start integrating the fix earlier next week.

FurGam
Honored Guest
Will the fix/update link be posted here? 

parthdarji
Explorer

FurGam said:

Will the fix/update link be posted here? 

I'm following Unity's website for patch releases - will update here if/when I see one.

[EDIT]: I've also raised a bug report with Unity but the team is in Europe and apparently the global S8 devices don't have this problem. I have followed up with them with no response yet. Will post any update here as well.

JianZ
Expert Protege
Right, S8 Europe is using samsung exynos processor, which doesn't trigger this bug.
A bit more updating from Unity:  a patched version 5.6.1p4 will be ship this Friday ( Jun 2 ) if QA testing was going well.
the fix will be also back-ported to 5.4 / 5.5, will update here when we got an ETA.  

delphinius81
Rising Star
Didn't see anything in the 5.6.1p2 patch notes regarding this, did it make it in or is it slated for a future release still?

JianZ
Expert Protege
according our latest info,it is scheduled under
5.6.1p4 

5.4.5p4 (21st June)

5.5.4p1 (14th June)

delphinius81
Rising Star
Eek, that's going to be a few weeks away for the 5.6 version fix...

lholstvg
Explorer
We’re also experiencing very bad performance on the Snapdragon-based S8 devices.

So Unity 5.5.0b11 does not include that big.little change either, right? https://unity3d.com/unity/beta/unity5.5.0b11

Our project is using Unity 5.5.0p3, so a downgrade was relatively easy... However it did not fix the issue for us.