cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unity Editor freezing on window-focus changes in OculusVR 1.17

jaconcha
Explorer
While Oculus VR Runtime Service is running (in Windows Services), changing focus between Editor windows in any Unity project is followed by a 4-10 second freeze of all input.  The sessions appear to be affected regardless size/complexity/version, as I tested on 3 different versions with 3 different active projects and 3 new empty projects (6 total tests)

It seems to only be when you change between windows in the Unity Editor.  If you stay in one window, it's able to run smoothly.  Are there any solutions out there to this?  It's as close to blocking as a blocker can be.  It may also be related to the latest Windows 10 update, since I received both between sessions of Unity work.

But, if I stop OVR Runtime Service, it works like a dream.

Thanks for the help!
43 REPLIES 43

Sporky
Explorer
Do we know if they're even working on it?  Maybe not enough of us are affected to matter. 

rvpeterson
Explorer

Sporky said:

Do we know if they're even working on it?  Maybe not enough of us are affected to matter. 

Unity said they were looking into it, but seemed to be blaming the Rift for the slow USB polling response.

If it's not being taken seriously and isn't actively being worked on, that's fine, I'll send the rift back and order a vive instead.

Sporky
Explorer
I wonder how many more ways there are for USB to fail...

rvpeterson
Explorer
Okay, I've managed to solve it / work around it.

Initially, I thought the HMD would only operate on a compatible USB 3.0 port, but on further reading it works fine on a USB 2.0 port. I left the sensors in the FL1100 card and plugged the HMD into the onboard USB 2.0, and now the problem is solved.

If you're having the same problem on the same card, take your HMD off the FL1100 card and put it on your onboard 2.0 (with adequate power available..) and try it.

This is the article that gave me the eurika moment: http://360rumors.com/2016/12/oculus-rift-and-touch-may-work-better.html

Thanks to everyone who chimed in and helped debug. To re-iterate, I think the problem is isolated to just instances where the HMD is running on an FL1100 chip..?

Massycat
Honored Guest
Thanks @rvpeterson, rearranging my USB stuff and moving the Rift headset off of a FL1100 controlled USB 3.0 port (an Inateck card) has stopped the Unity freezes. Will not say it has solved my problem until I have restarted my computer a couple of times 🙂

irisjackson
Honored Guest
Thanks @rvpeterson! This totally fixed it for me as well. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
works fine, thanks to you all, shame on you Oculus developers!

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've been stuck on this as well. Thanks for your solution @rvpeterson, as well as everyone else. I moved my HMD from the FL1100 (3.6.8.0 driver) to a USB 3.0 on my motherboard, and that solved my issue. So, my sensor is on the FL1100 USB 3.0 and my HMD is on an Etron USB 3.0, and Unity seems to be working fine.

Massycat
Honored Guest
Edit: removed out of date post

Massycat
Honored Guest
Edit: removed out of date post