Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

Finalists

2»

Comments

• YorickYorick Posts: 63
    Hiro Protagonist
    Serk wrote:
    Congratulations to everyone. Very tough competition!
    Also, Dreadhalls is open call as well.

Damn, I was hoping you would be a selected dev. :-)
    Don't Let Go! is open call aswell.
  • EMcNeillEMcNeill Posts: 158
    Art3mis
    edited September 2013
    Just for my own curiosity, I've tried to count the two categories. Here's my best guess so far:

(Edited several times based on corrections below)

Open Call:
    1. Ciess
    2. Dreadhalls
    3. Epic Dragon
    4. Stargazer
    5. SightLine
    6. Chicken Walk
    7. Time Rifters
    8. Don't Let Go
    9. Alone
    10. Shiny
    11. Lost Route
    12. Private Eye

Selected Developers:
    1. Komorebi - creators made Panoramical, a previous IndieCade selection
    2. Virtual Internet Hacker - creators are part of the Copenhagen Game Collective, also previous IndieCade selectees
    3. Elevator Music - creator had a game, The Recital, shown at IndieCade's E3 booth
    4. Nostrum - Robert Yang - just a guess; Robert is a significant name in the indie scene

Unconfirmed:
    1. Dumpy: Going Elephants
    2. Roleplayer
    3. Dragon
    4. Specter Seekers
  • abetterbardabetterbard Posts: 37
    NerveGear
    EMcNeill wrote:

Open Call:
    1. Ciess
    2. Dreadhalls
    3. Epic Dragon
    4. Stargazer
    5. SightLine
    6. Chicken Walk
    7. Time Rifters
    8. Don't Let Go

Selected Developers:
    2. Virtual Internet Hacker - creators are part of the Copenhagen Game Collective, also previous IndieCade selectees
    3. Alone - creator had a card game, Pedandeck, shown at IndieCade's E3 booth
    4. Elevator Music - creator had a game, The Recital, shown at IndieCade's E3 booth
    5. Nostrum - Robert Yang - just a guess; Robert is a significant name in the indie scene

Alone is open-call and developed by my team. :)
    Art3mis
    Alone is open-call and developed by my team. :)

Fixed!
  • spinaljackspinaljack Posts: 347 Oculus Start Member
    EMcNeill wrote:
    Just for my own curiosity, I've tried to count the two categories. Here's my best guess so far:

Open Call:
    1. Ciess
    2. Dreadhalls
    3. Epic Dragon
    4. Stargazer
    5. SightLine
    6. Chicken Walk
    7. Time Rifters
    8. Don't Let Go
    9. Alone

Selected Developers:
    3. Elevator Music - creator had a game, The Recital, shown at IndieCade's E3 booth
    4. Nostrum - Robert Yang - just a guess; Robert is a significant name in the indie scene

Unknown:
    1. Dumpy: Going Elephants
    2. Shiny
    3. Private Eye
    4. Roleplayer
    5. Dragon
    6. Lost Route
    7. Specter Seekers

Phew, that means dumpy or private eye (or both) are selected devs which means not direct competition XD
    Those 2 are really good.
  • Congrats to the other finalists and - especially - everyone else who submitted a game!

Shiny is open call too - that should complete the list :)
  • Lost Route is open call solo project :)
    Art3mis
    sbrezhnev wrote:
    Lost Route is open call solo project :)

Interesting. That's the 11th confirmed open call project, unless I made a mistake. Well, I don't mind if they expand the finalists in my category! Maybe there just weren't enough submissions from Selected Developers?
  • KenzieKenzie Posts: 118
    Based on the feedback in this thread I have the Open Call Top 10 list as:
    1. Alone
    2. Chicken Walk
    3. Ciess
    4. Don't Let Go
    5. Dreadhalls
    6. Epic Dragon
    7. Lost Route
    8. Shiny
    9. Sightline
    10. Time Rifters

This would mean that the Selected Developers Top 10 list is:
    1. Dragon
    2. Dumpy
    3. Elevator Music
    4. Komorebi
    5. Nostrum
    6. Private Eye
    7. Roleplayer
    8. Specter Seekers
    9. Stargazer
    10. Virtual Internet Hacker

@EMcNeill
    I believe that you have Stargazer in your open call top ten list which is bringing the total to 11.
  • jakeslack27jakeslack27 Posts: 93
    Hiro Protagonist
    Hi this is Jake from Private Eye. Big congratulations to everyone that made the final, absolutely beaming with making the list. Private Eye was open call! Good luck to everyone on Thursday, fingers and toes crossed!
    Creative Director of Private Eye - A cinematic, neo-noir thriller for the Oculus Rift, where voyeurism meets mystery, played out against a 1950's New York city backdrop.
    Official Site: http://www.privateeyevr.com
    Thanks for the list, good to know who's in which group
    Art3mis
    Kenzie wrote:
    @EMcNeill
    I believe that you have Stargazer in your open call top ten list which is bringing the total to 11.

Yes, that was based on what the dev told me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/davekalina/status/371824915781275648
  • nmitchellnmitchell Posts: 16 Oculus Staff
    Hey everyone,

Nate from Oculus here. Just wanted to clarify: there are more than 10 Open Call finalists and less than 10 Selected Developers finalists.

We wanted the best 20 submissions to be our 20 finalists regardless of whether they were Open Call or Selected Developers. In the end, we decided to include more Open Call entries in the finalist pool simply because the quality of the Open Call entries was so high.

This doesn't change the level of competition for Open Call or Selected Developers -- The top 3 games in each group (as decided by our judges) will take the prizes. The number of finalists in each group doesn't change that.

I also want to stress that there were many, many games submitted that didn't make the top 20 list that are worth playing. There were multiple "top 20" lists from various judges' points of view, and finalizing/negotiating the list was incredibly hard due to so many top-notch games. There were more than a few heated debates around Oculus HQ about who should make the cut and that's a real testament to the quality of work in this jam.

I hope this helps, and congratulations again to all the finalists!

-- Nate
    Art3mis
    nmitchell wrote:
    I hope this helps, and congratulations again to all the finalists!

-- Nate

Thanks for weighing in, Nate! I appreciate that you guys went for total quality rather than a strict 10/10 split. And I especially appreciate that you came here to spell it out for us rather that leave us wondering. I'll be eagerly awaiting the final results!
    I mailed them for clarification earlier, it's good they decided to respond. Thanks Nate.

If they decided the top 3 from each group already I wish they'd just tell us. Roll on Thursday!
    Thanks for the clarification and update.

There are so many great entries, and I bet there will be even more for the next VR Jam. It would be cool if the next one had multiple categories (like how the Unity awards works).
  • KominAaaKominAaa Posts: 135
    edited September 2013
    Congrats to the winners and to all the other teams.

I'm a little sad our game Epic Dragon didn't make it but it was really motivating to see all these people on the forums, giving the best they could to share their ideas about what could be great gameplay with VR.

I think it would be nice to have some feedback from the jurors next time after the vote as we've all put a lot of effort. And also to be able to try the selected developpers entries on release.

Well done again.
    Hi! Check our VRJam2015 entry SteamCrew VR, Our VR Game
    Shufflepuck Cantina Deluxe VR and our VRJam2013 entry EpicDragon VR!
    Follow us on Facebook!
  • przecinekprzecinek Posts: 596
    Nexus 6
    Yes. Congrats to all the winners.

Epic Dragon was my favourite, so I am a bit bummed it didn't make it :( but top 3 is top 3 and I'm not a judge.

I would love to see Epic Dragon VR included as this would mean a higher chance of playing it as a standalone product in the future.
  • VRoomVRoom Posts: 596
    First congrats to all winners!
    Was wondering if there's any place to download Nostrum and Virtual Internet Hacker? They both look great, but there's no download link.
  • abetterbardabetterbard Posts: 37
    NerveGear
    Congrats to the winners! :D
    Congrats to the winners! Great job :D
  • jakeslack27jakeslack27 Posts: 93
    Hiro Protagonist
    Big congrats to the winners and thanks for Oculus for running a great Jam. Safe to say we had a great collection of great ideas and great games. High fives all round and roll on the next :)
    Creative Director of Private Eye - A cinematic, neo-noir thriller for the Oculus Rift, where voyeurism meets mystery, played out against a 1950's New York city backdrop.
    Official Site: http://www.privateeyevr.com
  • JoseJose Posts: 888
    Trinity
    Congrats to everyone.

I'm pretty sure no one -- not even Oculus -- knew what was going to happen with this jam, and what happened ended up being really cool. 8-)