cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OVRInput.GetUp not working correctly in Unity 2017.2 with GearVR Controller

GarrettSkye
Honored Guest
So, I seem to have encountered an issue in Unity 2017.2 with Oculus Utilities v 1.18.1. Calling OVRInput.GetUp(OVRInput.Button.PrimaryIndexTrigger) does not return true when releasing the trigger on a GearVR Controller. I wrote the following code to test this:
void Update () {
  if (OVRInput.GetDown(OVRInput.Button.PrimaryIndexTrigger))
        {
            r1.material.color = Color.red;
        }
        if (OVRInput.GetUp(OVRInput.Button.PrimaryIndexTrigger))
        {
            r1.material.color = Color.white;
        }
        if (OVRInput.GetDown(OVRInput.Button.PrimaryTouchpad))
        {
            r2.material.color = Color.red;
        }
        if (OVRInput.GetUp(OVRInput.Button.PrimaryTouchpad))
        {
            r2.material.color = Color.white;
        }
        if (OVRInput.GetDown(OVRInput.Button.Back))
        {
            r3.material.color = Color.red;
        }
        if (OVRInput.GetUp(OVRInput.Button.Back))
        {
            r3.material.color = Color.white;
        }
    }
The Primary Touchpad and Back button work appropriately when the GetUp and GetDown functions are called, and GetDown works with the Trigger, but GetUp is just not working. I tried this same code in 2017.1 and it works fine.
23 REPLIES 23

Nilmag
Honored Guest
It's ok im using left mouse click for the meantime, which means all keys do the same thing but for simple testing its manageable.

Your ongoing efforts are always appreciated.

TrevJT
Protege
@MohamedElmazen Thanks that totally worked for me! Unity v2017.2.0b7, Oculus Utilities v1.18.1

T

maessof
Explorer
1.21 update seems to not have fixed it on v2017.3, well thats my setup.

psych7
Honored Guest
Unity 2017.3 here,  and this is still not working for me... Any news on this?

chorst2017
Honored Guest
lmao 3 months and their input system still doesn't work?!

jobesu
Honored Guest
Modifiying the line 310 of OVRInput from:
RawButton rawButtonMask = RawButton.Any & ~RawButton.Back;
to
RawButton rawButtonMask = RawButton.Any; // & ~RawButton.Back;

Seems to fix the bug "back button not responsive if player didn't touch the touchpad first" on Unity 5.6.5p1 with SDK 1.22 and 1.23. No idea about possible side effects of this though.

Anonymous
Not applicable

jobesu said:

Modifiying the line 310 of OVRInput from:
RawButton rawButtonMask = RawButton.Any & ~RawButton.Back;
to
RawButton rawButtonMask = RawButton.Any; // & ~RawButton.Back;

Seems to fix the bug "back button not responsive if player didn't touch the touchpad first" on Unity 5.6.5p1 with SDK 1.22 and 1.23. No idea about possible side effects of this though.

Yeah, I've done the same thing but I'm wondering about the side effects. Outcome of some "research" on my side here:
https://forums.oculusvr.com/developer/discussion/61093/gearvr-back-button-not-being-detected-by-ovri...

DHARMAKAYA
Protege
Glad I saw this topic on google search by chance...sorta FURIOUS right now because I was doing multiple builds trying to get a script functioning that uses GetUp...sadly not surprised that oculus screwed up on Gear VR again...the minuscule amount of scripts for Gear VR that have been provided don't function properly...it is simply amazing how RIDICULOUSLY INEPT that makes oculus, facebook, and samsung seem to be...ESPECIALLY considering the companies supposedly have BILLIONS OF DOLLARS and THOUSANDS OF EMPLOYEES...a skilled team of one could write these properly. A skilled team of 5 should be plenty to write them AND verify that everything works on each iteration of Unity. Imagine there is a team of 50 or more and yet...

DHARMAKAYA
Protege

lmao 3 months and their input system still doesn't work?!

High five. Proof that BILLIONS OF DOLLARS and thousands of employees alone can't make high quality, reliable products. 
If only a VC had invested in the HMD that I designed and made a functional prototype of SOLO.  

Now to go write a grab script because it seems doubtful that the oculus grab script has been made functional yet. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is there any news about that issue? I seem to have the same and updating unity (to 2018.2.0f2) doesnt help. Sometimes I can access the button signals, sometimes I can't. The only thing I can reliable access is position and rotation. surprisingly, I can see on which button my fingers are currently lying. but when I press that button I can neither see the button beeing pushed, nor is there a change in the variables that I try to read out within my code.