Is there anyway to avoid being published as Gallery App? - Page 2 — Oculus
Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

Is there anyway to avoid being published as Gallery App?

Comments

• VR.ShacklerVR.Shackler Posts: 60 Oculus Start Member
    Has anyone with an app in the gallery been offered the option to enter the Black Friday Sales or are we all not worthy?
    Why aren't all apps given the opportunity to enter holiday sales? Where is the harm?
    Going forward I will direct my own promotional efforts towards the stores that are willing to help sell my app, not bury it.
  • palii90palii90 Posts: 17 Oculus Start Member

I think they are trying to pay more attention to the applications of larger companies because if they don't make enough money with their products they leave this platform and it is a problem for the Oculus. If we small indie devs leave it doesn't matter. With the recent store changes the Gallery Apps positions are worst than ever so maybe this is the reason if it's not the whole thing made no sense for me.

You could be right or they may have clairvoyant gamesmasters that know exactly how a game will perform.
    I guess we'll never know as no one cares to respond.
  • FulbyFulby Posts: 184
    Art3mis
    jumbli said:
    When I posted a mixed reality video on the Oculus Rift Facebook group three Oculus employees liked the video including Brendan Iribe, but the content review team thought it best to bury it in the Gallery.
    @jumbli did you try contacting Brendan Iribe directly to see if he would intervene? When my app got stuck in review limbo for months I tweeted to John Carmack and he got it sorted.
  • jumblijumbli Posts: 233 Oculus Start Member
    edited November 2017
    @jumbli did you try contacting Brendan Iribe directly to see if he would intervene? When my app got stuck in review limbo for months I tweeted to John Carmack and he got it sorted.

No, I guess I'm not bold enough. One of the other Oculus employees who said it looked awesome sent me a private message about the video and I mentioned to them it was going in the Gallery and I wasn't expecting any sales, but that probably just made them assume it wasn't any good too.

I was intending to do some tutorial videos on how to make mixed reality videos on the Oculus because the game is a great fit for them. Not many titles support or encourage mixed reality so I thought that would excite Oculus and be interesting for their customers. Obviously that's all been scrapped now due to low sales not providing any budget to reinvest.

Developer of Dimensional, The Relentless, Breath Tech, Jigsaw 360
    View my dev blog at JumbliVR.com
    @jumbli Dimensional was one of my first purchases for VR, really enjoyed it!
    I was considering Oculus specific features for my app, thanks for saving me the time & effort.
    @jumbli Dimensional was one of my first purchases for VR, really enjoyed it!
    I was considering Oculus specific features for my app, thanks for saving me the time & effort.
    Personally going forwards I have to assume my work will always go in the Gallery and I'll invest my time accordingly, but please don't let my experiences change your plans. You may produce something better than I am capable of and get in the main store.
    Why aren't all apps given the opportunity to enter holiday sales?

Check your dashboard. I just happened to stumble across a new "Promotions" menu item under settings. Gallery titles aren't included in the promotion in Oculus Home, but at least it gives you an opportunity to discount your game and then create your own promotions.

Glad you enjoyed Dimensional :)

jumbli said: Check your dashboard. I just happened to stumble across a new "Promotions" menu item under settings.
    Aha! Thank you!
  • LightowlLightowl Posts: 17 Oculus Start Member
    edited November 2017
    I agree with most of these comments.  It certainly does not look like indie dev's are being supported here.  I've been wondering who is on the panel of reviewers.  My target audience is different than most and I would prefer that they determine whether my application is good or not.  It is too bad that the lack of ethics has diminished the value of genuine reviews.  Genuine reviews are the ideal.  I also think that a person should be able to search on categories, like those on Amazon.  I'm not building games but clearly that is the focus of most developers.  My stuff really gets buried under unrelated applications.  While I can understand Oculus' perspective in terms of quality control I think that there is a better way to achieve that goal.  I hope Oculus sees the light and comes up with a better set up.

Do any of you live in Seattle?  I have a plan and it would be best if there were a group of us to implement it.  Please message me or email me at IntuitiveActionSoftware@gmail.com.  GoIndieDevs!
  • JianZJianZ Posts: 65 Oculus Staff
    Hey Guys, Thanks for the feedbacks,  I had share your opinions with the store team to see what we can improve, willll update if we got anything.
  • pekayattpekayatt Posts: 133 Oculus Start Member
    JianZ said:
    Hey Guys, Thanks for the feedbacks,  I had share your opinions with the store team to see what we can improve, willll update if we got anything.
    Great to hear that someone from the Staff is listening to our stories. Hope we have some changes on how the store works in the future, even if the focus appears to be changing for the Rift instead of Gear (with the overall changes on the Home).

Anyway guys, my game is out (Apocalypse Rider) and I would love to share some keys with everyone that has taken an interest in our game.

G74WE-37KHA-WKN7W-6RWJE-4TTA3
    QQ9WA-97XGJ-XCN4C-TQHKP-TETF4
    NJTR3-AMCP3-EQ33G-A6KG9-K34RE
    3KQEC-C3WJP-CK747-ETRQ9-73TYJ
    4FA4J-9M7TC-9MMWR-QPAN3-3TNMH
    9XR34-H3QYE-A3CRC-WEWCC-Q4A34
    .Please let me know what you guys think of the game, this can also stress the points of gallery apps or not.
  • firagabirdfiragabird Posts: 159
    Art3mis
    pekayatt said:

Anyway guys, my game is out (Apocalypse Rider) and I would love to share some keys with everyone that has taken an interest in our game.
    I've taken interest, but choose to support you by purchasing your game at full price. I'll be sure to detail all of my impressions as a review on your store page. Hopefully the keys help others out that can't afford the same luxury.

Besides helping a fellow dev out, I'm genuinely interested in playing racing or vehicle games in Gear VR. Outside of VR Karts and SBK(?), there's surprisingly few experiences out there. Unless there are, & they're all hidden in the Gallery section. :(

By the way, have you considered the free-to-try model adopted by Skylight & Defense Grid 2? It might alleviate your current Gallery App status by letting cautious customers experience the first few levels for free, & letting the satisfied ones pay one time to unlock the rest of the game.
    S7 Exynos Nougat. 2017 Gear VR. Public test channel.
    pekayatt said:

I've taken interest, but choose to support you by purchasing your game at full price. I'll be sure to detail all of my impressions as a review on your store page. Hopefully the keys help others out that can't afford the same luxury.

Besides helping a fellow dev out, I'm genuinely interested in playing racing or vehicle games in Gear VR. Outside of VR Karts and SBK(?), there's surprisingly few experiences out there. Unless there are, & they're all hidden in the Gallery section. :(

By the way, have you considered the free-to-try model adopted by Skylight & Defense Grid 2? It might alleviate your current Gallery App status by letting cautious customers experience the first few levels for free, & letting the satisfied ones pay one time to unlock the rest of the game.
    Thanks a lot for your support man! I Really hope you enjoy the game, and if you find any problems feel free to come direct to me to talk about it!

We are building a new version that is to be a free-to-try, we have done that in the past with The Rabbit Hole, having a free demo version that users could just pay to update to the full, but haven't got a great feedback (conversion). BTW, we did it before Defense Grid 2 and these other guys, but as being a small studio with no real money for PR, nobody noticed it :lol:

• southpacsouthpac Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    Can someone explain to me what does this mean: Action Required: Oculus Winter Sale Invitation ?

I just got an email from Oculus with subject as above, saying that "We are excited to invite you to our biggest event of the year: The Oculus Store Winter Sale..."  It has a link to join the winter sale etc. I'm not really into how Oculus store works, so should I join it? Does that mean that my app will appear anywhere else besides the Gallery? My app is already free so what's the point of the sale?

Of course I asked all these questions to submissions team but they heaven't replied.
    Hey @southpac I got an invitation as well, usually this in the past was pretty great, not too many games were in Sales so you could see strong sales coming.

But with the last changes on the Dashboard, someone on the forum has pointed out that anyone can make sales when they like. Not sure if this will be set in a different list, or have any featured positions (I hope so), but no guarantees.

Last time I put my games on sales I could not see a very strong high on downloads, in fact my daily download has been decreasing a lot. My free to try game still drive more than 100-200 downloads a day, but the paid only 2-5. :(

Hope you guys are getting more success... because as this is going, my company will focus only on B2B :/

• southpacsouthpac Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    Thanks @pekayatt
    I joined the promo anyway. Will see how it will affect the downloads.
    edited December 2017

When I click on Store within the new desktop app I'm not seeing a Gallery apps section listed at all?
    Edit: Not listed here either? https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/
  • firagabirdfiragabird Posts: 159
    Art3mis
    When I click on Store within the new desktop app I'm not seeing a Gallery apps section listed at all?
    Edit: Not listed here either? https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/
    Uh oh. You should definitely report it as a developer ticket or in the big tracker.
    S7 Exynos Nougat. 2017 Gear VR. Public test channel.
    Yes, I've posted a new thread in the main store discussion and I'll try contacting someone through social media.
    Got a reply on Twitter from Oculus Developers.

'We recently began testing changes to the way we organize apps in the store, we'll have more info to share soon! PM w/any questions about your specific app.'

Don't they realize this isn't just a fun hobby, for some people it's their livelihood.
    Got a reply on Twitter from Oculus Developers.

'We recently began testing changes to the way we organize apps in the store, we'll have more info to share soon! PM w/any questions about your specific app.'

Don't they realize this isn't just a fun hobby, for some people it's their livelihood.
    That is just sad.

Hope they make some good changes on this...
    JianZ said:
    So their response was to hide our apps even more from being discovered? We've now gone from shelf fillers to ghosts!
  • delphinius81delphinius81 Posts: 297
    Nexus 6
    Looks like gallery titles are back to being displayed in the rift desktop app.
    edited December 2017
    I've just had an update from Oculus.
    "I know you're concerned about your app and discoverability. The testing we began on the store only affects a small group of users based in the UK. The Oculus Store and Gallery sections remain unchanged for the majority of Oculus users. I have notified the store team as well as Jason Rubin about your feedback and concerns. we will have more details and next steps to share soon."
    Congratulations southpac! It's good to hear that they are taking into account Gallery app updates!
    Well done, southpac that's great news.

The problem for most developers will be that we don't know what to improve or if it would make a difference so it's not cost effective to just keep going.

From my own testing for the Rift I can say that being a Gallery title makes a massive difference because we are excluded from sales. I did some promotion during Black Friday for all the Gallery titles that were excluded. While my posts were visible some of the Gallery titles were climbing the top sellers list, so people did want to buy them if they were made aware of the sale. When my posts lost visibility the titles dropped off the top sellers list. My reach is very small compared to being promoted in the official sale page on Oculus Home so I can confidently say that Gallery titles loose a significant amount of revenue due to the exclusions.

I hope Oculus find a better way to deal with it all soon so that the Gallery is a place where innovative and experimental titles can shine rather then be buried.
    edited December 2017
    For a few weeks now I had 10-20 downloads a day from the Gallery. 
    Personally, I think the above is the reason for the upgrade. When I asked for my app to be re-evaluated I got this response "The Content Review Team continues to monitor user metrics and will reach out if there are any changes requested."
    jumbli said:
    The problem for most developers will be that we don't know what to improve or if it would make a difference so it's not cost effective to just keep going.
    Totally agree. If they are continually monitoring Gallery app updates then why not email the Dev with their findings and what they think still needs attention.

Edit: @southpac Remember to make use of those 'New content' badges that us poor Gallery apps aren't allowed to have for some unknown reason! ;)
    For a few weeks now I had 10-20 downloads a day from the Gallery. 
    Personally, I think the above is the reason for the upgrade. When I asked for my app to be re-evaluated I got this response "The Content Review Team continues to monitor user metrics and will reach out if there are any changes requested."
    jumbli said:
    Totally agree. If they are continually monitoring Gallery app updates then why not email the Dev with their findings and what they think still needs attention.

Edit: @southpac Remember to make use of those 'New content' badges that us poor Gallery apps aren't allowed to have for some unknown reason! ;)
    First, congrats @southpac for the upgrade! This is definely a first time I hear this happenning! Whish they have said it before.

ApoRider is now with only 3 to 4 downloads per day. Really few downloads, but it is paid.

@VR.Shacle 
    Last time I inquired the store team they told me that they do not care about badgets anymore. So if you want you can do one yourselft when updating it.
    @VR.Shackler
    Last time I inquired the store team they told me that they do not care about badgets anymore. So if you want you can do one yourselft when updating it.
    Really? I was refused them yesterday.